Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1839041 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.2f - Bugfix, Graphics and Kobolds (and Linux/Mac OS)
« Reply #9030 on: February 08, 2013, 06:58:46 am »

Hey, what's with missile fighters not picking up ammo?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9031 on: February 08, 2013, 07:06:55 am »

If missile fighters are orcs, please, do ask in the orc fortress thread. I know smake also checks here, but it makes so much more sense to ask in his thread, since he is the author and having all feedback in one place really helps.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9032 on: February 08, 2013, 09:32:56 am »

evil dwarves throw a small message in the errorlog
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #9033 on: February 08, 2013, 12:38:27 pm »

Just to comment on something I saw above I routinely set my marksdwarf squads to train all the time (minimum 10, every month) and I still see them shooting in the practice range a bunch. And they are never "off duty" except for food, drink, and sleep I thought.

On another topic, Drow are very sensitive. Their hoardmaster was killed in an ambush less than a second after he entered the map. Even if I had an elite army (which I do not) they would never have got there in time. Now they are ambushing me themselves (they are referred to as drow but the sprites look less like the merchants and more like evil dwarves) and in what is probably not technical irony but I don't know the word *they* announced themselves to me by ambushing and killing the human ambassador, so I can only expect the humans will now begin attacking me as well. Good think I'm self-sufficient, because it's siege-a-palooza over here. Not one forgotten beast in four years though, which is odd. I have broken into all three caverns, and have even seen one underground siege (though I didn't see who because I just cracked open the caves, built my downstair, and then sealed everything up).

Also, I love everything about the lamellar. Not only because I think it looks cool IRL, but also the process to create it seems so legit. However, I assume since it is technically "leather" that if you set you army to wear metal armor they will choose a worse metal (such as copper) over lamellar, even though it's equivalent to iron, right? Is there a setting to have them just wear the best protecting armor, regardless of what it's made out of? Also, is there any bonus to leather armor over metal armor in regards to weight? Like do your dwarves have a higher to-hit ratio or faster attacks? I have an abundance of iron and flux on my map so while I love the lamellar it just doesn't seem tactically sound to employ it instead of steel.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: February 08, 2013, 12:58:50 pm »

Yes I agree the "minimum 10" setting seems to work fine for archers too, as does "inactive duty" for that matter.  If you set archers on "minimum 4" though, it seems 4 guys will go to whatever active duty you select and it's the other 6 off duty guys who go to the range.  TBH i get that the interface is not great, but i have trouble finding settings that don't work OK ^^

Weight slows down your dwarves movement and actions, ranks in the Armor user skill mitigates it.  If you only wear one item in every slot it might as well be the heaviest metal you've got.  But assuming you build a custom kit with layers e.g. undershirt+mail+plate+cloak+runerobe then you might want some of it to be leather (or something else light like mithril).  Again, until they're legendary armor user, at that point pile on the steel and wolfram, because they only feel 5% (iirc) of the weight. ... all that being said, lamellar is a lot more useful *before* you pierce the aquifer than after ;)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: February 08, 2013, 04:19:13 pm »

Besides the best practice for ranged is just to have them shoot at things. Give them a safe-(ish) bridge or bunker from which to plink incoming enemies or in an arena type structure for captured enemies and they will get a lot of practice and be nearly impervious unless the enemy has an elite ranged unit.

I've noticed Kea's are especially fun. Your guys get better with each shot - not hit, and it seems that a flying critter in an open space generates what I call the "machine gun" effect where they fire like crazy and as an added bonus you get all the bolts back since they were shot at a z-level that wasn't the ground.

John Dwarf Bane Adam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: February 08, 2013, 06:22:23 pm »

Is there anyway to change the tiles in the game cause the grass tiles are annoying, I want to change it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9037 on: February 08, 2013, 07:37:33 pm »

You should be able to combine leather and metal armor... wear lamellar padded armor under your metal platearmor. Other then that it is a bit lighter... I think individual choice armor without defining a material will allow them to take the currently best one, but dwarves can be stupid... I usually give each person specificially picked items.

@bane adam: Yes, you can open the plant_grass.txt in the raw/objects doler and change the tilenumbers back to either vanilla or something you like better... just read a bit on the wiki, its not that difficult to do... but there isnt a settings for it in my GUI, if you meant that.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: February 08, 2013, 10:03:24 pm »

Yeah I've never been good at maximizing armor. I go with one of every armor piece steel, and then add a leather robe, cloak, and hood to that in vanilla.

I know some folks are able to get 3 chain shirts or whatever on a dwarf or 8 cloaks. I wish there was a way to save armor configuration between forts the way you can save worldgen info or embark profiles. Then people could share armor files.

I read the complex mathematical formula of how armor works and I couldn't follow it. It was how you were allowed a certain number of "points" per body part and like a robe would count for some points and a chain shirt would then count for more, and you could layer until all the points were gone but some thing gave you more points. I'm confused just repeating the gist of what I read. :)

Hey Meph, I'm reading your succession fort - you should do a Let's Play video, you seem like a very skilled player. Anyway, I noted you were talking about how it was a generated world and sucked due to not having the Masterwork stuff, and I was just wondering if you could clarify. I also generated my own world because no offense to the pre genned ones, they look fine, but I want my own world with it's own history and I don't want to play on the same two-three maps every time. I figured the worst that would happen would be that a race or two would die out, like stranglers did in my world. Are you saying that generating a regular world also gets rid of all the added metals and stuff as well? I must admit, I haven't seen one unique metal in my current fort, it's all magnetite and cobaltite up to this point. Are they gone from the world in entirety or just the occasional embark? It would be neat if some experienced Masterwork players contributed worldgen settings that could be randomized but have a higher % of yielding all the Masterwork goodies. There may be a lot of folks who prefer to gen their own world.

Also, did you edit your IsoWorld visuals, because the one I have which I thought was the updated one only has the little fort icons for Human forts, but you seem to have yours show for Mountainhomes and your own embark as well. How did you do that?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:33:34 pm by MAurelius »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:47 pm »

I roll random worlds with Simpler-Ore and Simpler-Stone OFF most of the time and still get a fair amount of mithril, armok gems, warpstone when i have it on, fossils, etc.  I'm sure that Meph is right that it is diluted with the "regular" stuff but, it's not like I never see the new stuff.

You should do a Let's Play video, you seem like a very skilled player.

... You did see the part where he flooded his whole base and then had the dwarves brave the rapidly rising waters to *haul the rocks outside* right??
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:53:52 pm by smakemupagus »

ScottS

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: February 08, 2013, 10:55:27 pm »

... You did see the part where he flooded his whole base and then had the dwarves brave the rapidly rising waters to *haul the rocks outside* right??
Pfffft, that could have happened to anyone.  :P

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: February 08, 2013, 11:04:42 pm »

I think platinum souls need to be removed from treasure drops at the archaeologist. Focus entirely on collapsed brick veins and you can have a super warrior dwarf by the end of summer in the first year.

Fobeeyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: February 08, 2013, 11:12:01 pm »

Is anyone else having trouble building an expedition outfitter? It says I need 3 empty barels, when I have somewhere around 17 empty barrels in my furniture stockpile, anyone got a solution?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9043 on: February 08, 2013, 11:20:01 pm »

@MAurelius: Very skilled... yeah. What ? I actually am, but not in that particular game. ^^ Its the first time I see a collapse break through a z-lvl btw, and I would never have connected a river to anything without a floodgate in between, so this situation was new to me. I honestly have no idea what Melzer was doing, I usually have steel in the first year and 1-2 well trained soldiers. Or at least some sort of defense. Its strange to enable stranglers, which siege in the first year, but then have no weapons, traps or even a door. Without the caravan guard the game would have been over.

About the missing stuff: Its mostly missing inorganics. The adv. worldgen has scarcity set to 100, which results in way more minerals then the highest setting "very high minerals" in the standard worldgen. And if the raw materials are missing, features are missing as well.

@Gamerlord: If your world has that many, and you are that lucky with the archeologist, and you mine that much... yes, maybe.

Haigen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: February 08, 2013, 11:36:27 pm »

Cant get soundsense to work and I added that 30min worth of music and did everything it said but still no sound
Pages: 1 ... 601 602 [603] 604 605 ... 749