Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836322 times)

Godlysockpuppet

• Bay Watcher
  • [Insert wit here]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF2 - Alpha
« Reply #7395 on: November 07, 2012, 09:32:37 am »

Thoughts on whether a steel battle axe or a copper runic battle axe will be more effective?  Assuming same quality level.
Runic axes add some fancy new attacks but i'd say Steel would be better :P

nopeasants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7396 on: November 07, 2012, 10:26:14 am »

hi everyone, I'm trying to get demons at embark(on masterwork obviously) I've next to no modding skill apart from a little price change or [TRAINABLE] tag here or there. I've added the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag and the [PET] tag but it won't work.
here's the raw file (I also took out the [TRAPAVOID] tag for those who want to know):
[CREATURE:BEBILITH]
   [DESCRIPTION:The infernal, gigantic relative of the underground giant cave spider. Attacks with both its poisoned bite and sharp front legs. Extremely dangerous, but unlike other demons is very territorial and does not appear in groups.]
   [NAME:bebilith:bebiliths:bebilith]
   [CASTE_NAME:bebilith:bebiliths:bebiliths]
   [CREATURE_TILE:'B'][COLOR:5:10:0]
   [THICKWEB][WEBIMMUNE][AMBUSHPREDATOR][LIKES_FIGHTING][PARALYZEIMMUNE][FIREIMMUNE][FIREIMMUNE_SUPER][PET][COMMON_DOMESTIC]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SILK:SILK_TEMPLATE]
   [WEBBER:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL_RARE:SILK]
   [CAN_LEARN][EVIL][PARALYZEIMMUNE][NOEXERT]
   [NOPAIN][EXTRAVISION][NOSTUN][NOEMOTION][NONAUSEA][NOFEAR][CARNIVORE]
   [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM]
   [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:5:5]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:100]60][DIFFICULTY:9]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:30000:30000][UBIQUITOUS]10:20]
   [CARNIVORE][NATURAL]
   [BUILDINGDESTROYER:2]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR]
   [SPEED:400]
   [PETVALUE:200]
   [PREFSTRING:predatory instincts]
   [PREFSTRING:ability to inspire terror]
   [PREFSTRING:variously colored exoskeleton]
   [NOBONES]
   [BODY:SPIDER:2EYES:HEART:GUTS:OUTERBRAIN:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_MATERIALS]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:CHITIN_TISSUES]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:EXOSKELETON_TISSUE_LAYERS:CHITIN:FAT:MUSCLE]
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
      [TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SINEW:SINEW_TEMPLATE]
   [TENDONS:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:SINEW:200]
   [LIGAMENTS:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:SINEW:200]
   [HAS_NERVES]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:6]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE:6]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:MELEE_COMBAT:4]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:DODGING:4]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:SITUATIONAL_AWARENESS:8]
   [NATURAL_SKILL:SNEAK:2]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:ICHOR:ICHOR_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:ICHOR:LIQUID]
   [CREATURE_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:PUS:PUS_TEMPLATE]
   [PUS:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL:PUS:LIQUID]
   [BODY_SIZE:0:0:2200000]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:90:95:98:100:102:105:110]
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:POISON:CREATURE_EXTRACT_TEMPLATE]
      [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen bebilith venom]
      [STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen bebilith venom]
      [STATE_NAME:LIQUID:bebilith venom]
      [STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:bebilith venom]
      [STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling bebilith venom]
      [STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling bebilith venom]
      [PREFIX:NONE]
      [ENTERS_BLOOD]
      [SYNDROME]
         [SYN_NAME:bebilith necrotic venom]
         [SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
         [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE:SPIDER_CAVE:ALL]
         [SYN_INJECTED]
         [CE_NECROSIS:SEV:1000:PROB:100:RESISTABLE:SIZE_DILUTES:START:5:PEAK:10:END:20]
   [ATTACK:BITE:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:MOUTH]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:BITE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:bite:bites]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_EDGE]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:MAIN]
      [SPECIALATTACK_INJECT_EXTRACT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:POISON:LIQUID:100:100]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
   [ATTACK:KICK:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:LEG_FRONT]
      [ATTACK_SKILL:STANCE_STRIKE]
      [ATTACK_VERB:stab:stabs]
      [ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100]
      [ATTACK_PENETRATION_PERC:40]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]
      [ATTACK_FLAG_WITH]
      [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]

[ALL_ACTIVE]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10040]
   [CASTE:FEMALE]
      [FEMALE]
   [CASTE:MALE]
      [MALE]
   [SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:CHITIN]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GREY:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:chitin:SINGULAR]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
         [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:RED:1]
            [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]
   [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
      [MULTIPLY_VALUE:4]

any help would be apreciated. Thanks

jaardichten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7397 on: November 07, 2012, 10:41:19 am »

With Ironhand it will require some hand tweaking. Look for df/data/init/colors.txt

Hmm. The lighter color behind the text is rgb 27,18,9. Great, this is in the colors.txt:
[BLACK_R:27]
[BLACK_G:18]
[BLACK_B:9]

I changed black to RGB 13,9,4 - but still the colors are like before. Not a DF restart issue...

EDIT: I set black to 0,0,0. I found out, if you set it to something else, lets say some red, the background will be red and the area behind truetype text will be lighter red. But if you choose black 0,0,0, background of truetype is the same. Its looking great now, thanks for the colors.txt hint... BTW I was wrong, I use Phoebus, but you cannot set background color in the tool afaics.

Anyway, problem solved.

As you can see, I built my first stockpiles on ice :(

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:55:06 am by jaardichten »

Pie Maker

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_MAKE_PIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7398 on: November 07, 2012, 11:21:53 am »

@ above three. Which version are you using? The alpha of the next version is written from the ground up from scratch, and therefore does not share the same code base. They are completely separate and we need to know which you are using to help!

I'm personally using v.1.9.5 for Windows.
"W-w-w-w-what do you want?"
"...MORTAL. I COMMAND THEE. BRING ME CHEESE."

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7399 on: November 07, 2012, 11:26:28 am »

I am using 1.9.5.  I didn't notice there was an Alpha.  Trying to download it now, but not having much luck

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7400 on: November 07, 2012, 01:59:10 pm »

I have a small question for you all.

I disabled the aquifer, but sometimes, I get the "damp stone" warning, even if there seem to be nothing (stone sense doesn't see any water nearby at least).

I wanted to know if it was a possible FUN thing to dig, or if it will only release one block of water upon digging.

For more information, it appears that it is always one single tile doing this, (warning on all surrounding tiles and 1 on the z-1 level.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7401 on: November 07, 2012, 02:32:46 pm »

It's a Tears of Armok gem, a 1 square aquifer until the gem is mined out. You can safely remove it by channeling it out from above but I have used a few to make wells or waterfalls by just mining out the rock at one side of it. The flow of water isn't too strong through, I made a channel about a screen long to empty out near my main corridor and the water had nearly all evaporated by the time it dropped down to make the waterfall.

The gem can be used for a few reactions as well I believe, haven't really played around with them that way. Try Ctrl-F in the manual to see stuff.

villagegirl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7402 on: November 07, 2012, 04:38:59 pm »

Hello guys and gals I love this game and all the work the modders have done.  I have been trying to use "Masterwork mod"  I just downloaded so I should have the most recent version.  Along with updated DF.  My problem is that "Creepers" will not stay "Off" for vanilla DF in the Masterwork options launcher thing.  Also the "Secret Fun" option will not stay turned off.  I had an issue with Dwarfs dieing for no reason that I could find.  They would just start bleeding and then die (my population was about 60).  No report of fighting, just dead dwarfs, one after the other.  Little blood trail in my halls.

Edit:  I did a new download and now the "secret fun!" option stays off for me.  but the "Creepers" option keeps resetting to "YES"  every time I reopen the Masterwork DF Options thing.... what the heck?  I have tried clicking "Save" of course. but it just wont work... grrr
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:39:59 pm by villagegirl »

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7403 on: November 07, 2012, 05:55:17 pm »

So I just spent a good chunk of time in my first Masterwork game trying to figure out why my DT was wildly misreporting my dwarves' skills, until I realized it wasn't. I must have overlooked the feature or something, but how is it that a few of my dwarves might come to have random skills I didn't give them before the first migrant wave? Not that I'm complaining, they are at higher levels than I could even give them on embark :D Can your first few dwarves just get random other skills? I really don't even look at DT until my first wave so I don't know how long they've had them.

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7404 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15:24 pm »

So I just spent a good chunk of time in my first Masterwork game trying to figure out why my DT was wildly misreporting my dwarves' skills, until I realized it wasn't. I must have overlooked the feature or something, but how is it that a few of my dwarves might come to have random skills I didn't give them before the first migrant wave? Not that I'm complaining, they are at higher levels than I could even give them on embark :D Can your first few dwarves just get random other skills? I really don't even look at DT until my first wave so I don't know how long they've had them.
Look at each dwarf's status screen when you embark, and scroll to the bottom. You might notice something along the lines of 'This dwarf is a born doctor. Even as a child, he always loved to help people in need. Born doctors learn medical skills faster...' or 'Though simple-minded, this dwarf has a talent for...' These are a feature in Masterwork DF using castes to accelerate the learning rate of certain skills. In some cases (most of them noted by 'though simple-minded') the dwarf may have the learning rate of every other skill decreased.

A few of these aptitude castes might offer your dwarf some massive starting boosts to certain skills. Take advantage of this however you like, but every one of these types will never have any drawbacks.

You can view these castes by peeking at the 'manuals & guides' folder where you have Masterwork DF installed.

Stormbuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7405 on: November 07, 2012, 06:27:25 pm »

TL:DR : Give me a challenge / something new to do!!!

Hi! I recently started playing DF again, and specifically the MDF 2 alpha.

I am however discovering that I am sick and tired of the initial stages of building a fortress (build dormitories, meeting hall, start up metal industry) and I just can't bring myself to start up several industries (pottery etc. etc.).

I guess I just haven't got to the point in which I explore the new things in the mod - where interest will spike, so at the moment I am just...ugh, making sure that all the dworfs are fed.

So...give me a challenge? something new to do? :D Perhaps I should learn how the stupid minecarts work.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7406 on: November 07, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

Masterwork adds various castes, some only influence the learning of certain skills, others also give a level boost.
In DT, try the group by caste, it will let you understand better what caste is each dwarf, and giving you the possibility to give jobs accordingly.

TL:DR : Give me a challenge / something new to do!!!

Hi! I recently started playing DF again, and specifically the MDF 2 alpha.

I am however discovering that I am sick and tired of the initial stages of building a fortress (build dormitories, meeting hall, start up metal industry) and I just can't bring myself to start up several industries (pottery etc. etc.).

I guess I just haven't got to the point in which I explore the new things in the mod - where interest will spike, so at the moment I am just...ugh, making sure that all the dworfs are fed.

So...give me a challenge? something new to do? :D Perhaps I should learn how the stupid minecarts work.
Apart from the endgame, the mod also adds a few things you can do at the start, so you could go for challenges like "no metal working" with gems and stone being able to give you all you need, just less powerful.

If you didn't already, also try to make use of minecarts to semi-automate your fortress, it can get tricky, but definitely nice thing to do.

To extend on this, why not go for a minecart-powered defense with the attack mineou could also try an "all wood" fortress, with the addition of tree farming.

Or go nuts with the various magics.

And above all, enable all races and try to survive without walling yourself off, if you are that bored^^
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7407 on: November 07, 2012, 07:59:58 pm »

Go over the the Succession Fort where we are testing the alpha, download the save and take a turn. Everyone involved just got HAMMERED by real life, and we do not have a current overseer. Please do be careful not to let the kings prized lizards die, and do feel free to use the volcano that the fort is built into the side of to protect you from the three massive hostile civilizations that surround us. So far each overseer has built themselves a palace inside the palace of the previous overseer along with their own defensive system (usually involving flooding outer layers with magma). It is a sort of russian doll motif.

I have no idea of course if the dwarfs are actually fed or not, but I'm sure we left plenty of challenges in that save file.

It's a Tears of Armok gem, a 1 square aquifer until the gem is mined out. You can safely remove it by channeling it out from above but I have used a few to make wells or waterfalls by just mining out the rock at one side of it. The flow of water isn't too strong through, I made a channel about a screen long to empty out near my main corridor and the water had nearly all evaporated by the time it dropped down to make the waterfall.

The gem can be used for a few reactions as well I believe, haven't really played around with them that way. Try Ctrl-F in the manual to see stuff.

They can still flood forts and drown dwarfs, be careful. It has been my experience that they only release water out and down, but not up. They can be made into indoor lakes/pools. You can also save them to slowly drown any unwanted visitors in your mines.

Downloaded Masterwork and I have to say that I love it. There's so much content in it that it feels like I'm playing a different game altogether.

Just wanted to ask, are mages that get their power from slabs still a work in progress? They seem buggy in that that they are attacked by their own minions. (For example infernomancers being attacked by flaming zombie corpses.) Also, corpses raised as a warlock with necromancy in adventure mode are aggressive towards you.

I do remember Meph talking about that issue. IIRC, summoning is not directly supported by the game, and the method meph uses to 'fake' it has a few draw back, as you have seen. In MDF2, basically everything is removed and meph is adding everything back in *correctly* in such a way that it works bug-free. For some features this won't be possible, and he will be forced between choosing to re-implement a broken version of the feature, or waiting until a future version of dwarf fortress that better supports the feature. I would call them more of a work-in-waiting than a work in progress, as I think the bits needed to fix that particular issue are on toadies end, and we might have to wait a while until meph can do anything about it.

OK, I think I figured it out.  In the raws for boiling leather you see this line.  If I understand it, it says there is a 90% chance that the reaction will create a misc liquid that matches reagent "B".  Unfortunately there isn't a reagent named "B".  Change the "B" to "oil" and it seems to work.

[PRODUCT:90:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:oil container]
   YESDUST[PRODUCT:20:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:STENCH][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]

Thanks for the bug report! Keep an eye out for dwarven caravans that burst into flames now. It is a problem that meph made many changes trying to fix.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7408 on: November 07, 2012, 08:11:57 pm »

I am horribly sorry, but RL is too much right now. I sat down with the Alpha and the current version, and all the work other people have done to help, the manual, the dfhack, therapist, phyton code, RAWs... I start for 10mins, then think: OMG, this is so much work and I need a full week for this, (as in: 100h of work, min.) and then I postpone it again... I have one month before I leave for northafrica, I havent even started with my new homepage and... yeah. Be patient, I havent given up on this ;)

I feel a bit like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:22:06 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7409 on: November 07, 2012, 10:31:24 pm »

Keep up the good work, Meph. I've only started playing this mod very recently, but I like what I see so far. I'm still a bit wary of crashes however as I experienced a lot of them when I was starting out, and spent so many fortresses hammering out what in particular caused it.

Found out treefarming crashes the game when the trees mature in 1.9.5. At least for me. Not sure if that's fixed in Alpha, maybe I'll try that one soon.

Also, I appreciate the several options the mod gives to compensate for lacking or missing industries, where otherwise there are several that are absolutely vital.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 10:46:16 pm by Tally »
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 [494] 495 496 ... 749