Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836094 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.5 - POLLS EVERYWHERE
« Reply #6630 on: August 30, 2012, 09:07:00 am »

BTW can turret's shoot through fortifications? Probably yes
Yes, they usually do.

Ok everyone, here are the current 15 megabeasts. All of them leave a itemcorpse that can be butchered at the slaughterhouse. The corpse will leave 3 things:
1: A trophy, an item you can keep, put it on a display stand, give it your king...
2: A soul. Megabeast souls give experience in combat skills, like the (old) skill essence/aether
3: A reward. Help wanted for this, since I only have 6 set up so far. What would you like to see as rewards ?

More megabeasts? Give me ideas. I already think that a "great nightwing" and a centaur as semi-megabeasts would be nice. Vampires, evil mages, mummies, werebeats and so forth are covered by xangis fear-the-night mod, so what else could there be?

Here the current list:

dragon
Trophy: dragon skull
Reward: 20 dragon scales (used for armor) steel grade, temp immune

balrog
Trophy: smoldering balrog skull
Reward: 1 volcanic whip and 1 volcanic scimitar

cursed blacksmith (old genesis boogeyman, but I like it)
Trophy: cursed blacksmith mask
Reward: dead? cursed blacksmith, spawn him again, friendly, needs drow magic

nightmaiden (old genesis boogeyman, but I like it)
Trophy: nightmaidens dress
Reward: dead? nightmaidens, spawn her again, friendly, needs drow magic

colossus
Trophy: colossus statue
Reward: 25 metal bars of colossus type.
Note: There are about 15 castes. Rusty Iron, Bloodsteel, Titanium colossus... all there.

phoenix
Trophy: phoenix feather
Reward: phoenix egg, spawn him again, friendly, needs 1 fuel

manticore
Trophy: manticore skull
Reward:

chimera
Trophy: chimera skull
Reward:

griffon
Trophy: griffon talon
Reward:

giant
Trophy: giant skull
Reward:

cyclops
Trophy: cyclops eye
Reward:

ettin
Trophy: ettin skulls
Reward:

minotaur
Trophy: minotaur horns
Reward:

hydra
Trophy: hydra skulls
Reward:

roc
Trophy: roc talon
Reward:

PS: Since this will get lost in this thread within a few hours, I post it in the suggestions thread as well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:08:51 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: August 30, 2012, 09:25:11 am »

You could add mythological creatures. Search a bit in the greek mythology as I don't know the translation of some names in english.
Still, I have a few rewards ideas.
Manticore: Manticore spike, can be crafted in bolts or spears, can easily penetrate armors.
Griffon: Griffon claw? Sharp and deadly.
Hydra: In the greek mythology, the hydra's blood was poisoned. Herakles used it against his enemies. If you could get a vial of it and coat your weapons with it, it'd be good.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6632 on: August 30, 2012, 09:36:04 am »

Yeah, Gorgons/Medusae would be nice, Kraken (if aquatic works) and Centaures... Grendel, Draugr, Jotuns, Einherier, Nidhöggr, Fenriswolf, Wendigos, Yetis, Bigfoot/Sasquatch... Slenderman (nightcreature ^^) ;)

Only problem I see is that some things are better known then others... most people here will now a Beholder from DnD, but not an Einherier or Draugr (and if those, then only from Morrowind/Oblivion/Skyrim) So taking massive monsters from other franchises would be nice, instead of RL-mythology.

I'll still add quetzalcoatl to it. :) A giant feathery snake with wings, beware its poison.

Anyway, back to the rewards, they are more important. A potion of giants strength (sets strength to max/5000) from a giant I'll do. But what to do with Cyclops, Ettins and Minotaurs ? they are so non-descript.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:40:28 am by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: August 30, 2012, 09:54:36 am »

@moreaxes
We already have a javaforge site, but it kinda fell into disuse.

http://www.javaforge.com/repository/5841
http://www.javaforge.com/project/mwdf

after you crete an account I can add you to the project, it's a mercurial repo. I tried git but couldn't make it work. mercurial is more newb friendly :)

I uploaded an updated version of the gui to the repo. I made some small tweaks, embeded fonts not done yet, but I included the fonts.

@arclance, I added an option to change the builtin style, tryout the different ones to see which work the best. it's at the top of masterwork_launcher.py3 , feel free to try out stylesheets if you want as well, they should work on all platforms.
I created an account on javaforge, username arclance.
I have never use mercurial to do anything but clone a repository before but it should not be a problem.

I looked at the code for masterwork_launcher.py3 and I see a couple of problems with the style changer.

1. "Macintosh" should not be the default since it is not cross platform.
      You will just get a lot of "It crashes on windows" bug reports if you leave it like that.

2. You are missing the GTK+ style it is what lets you use your GTK theme in QT on linux.

I tried stylesheets in QT Designer before, that was the only way to override the system theme for buttons.
There were some problems though, I could not get all the colors right using the system theme.
I could not set the font color of QComboBox objects or do anything to the tabs when using a system them, it works with the others though.

Hardcoding the colors seems to work as long as you don't use a system theme (ie. mac, windows, or gtk+) at least with the preview option in QT Designer.
I need generate the python code first to test if it really works.

I tested this by backporting your changes to the old script so I could test it.
Works okay but not with GTK+, the tabs won't change at all.

Edit: Here is a mainframe.ui where I hardcoded the colors and added a minor stylesheet.
Let me know how those changes work for you.
The tabs probably won't accept the colors with the Macintosh theme, try some of the others as well.

I may make some changes to this now that I now things work better when running the actual python code.
I would like to do this again from scratch using the font that will be in the final version to see what is necessary and what is not.
When do you think you be done getting the font embedded?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:32:13 pm by arclance »
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:31 am »

Yes, indeed, you need to implement things that are known well-enough by players in general.
You're going to add quetzalcoatl? That's great! Will you make him able to take control as a civilization as a deity, like clowns do? It would be accurate with the legends.

I just read on the wiki that Ettins car survive without heads. This might give you a few ideas.
Anyway, I really have no ideas for those three, I thought about it, but nope.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: August 30, 2012, 10:38:40 am »

Isnt the minotaur often depicted with an axe? Make him carry that one and let it be strong. That ranks up difficulty when facing him directly.

I somewhere heard a story about magic properties of cyclops horns, comparable to unicorns. Although i think its not verified by greek history (not to speak about the horn itself), its still a nice thing ;) Maybe make that thing a reagent for special magic items, or a improved version of the existing mages?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: August 30, 2012, 01:27:21 pm »

I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6637 on: August 30, 2012, 02:10:15 pm »

Good suggestions, although a ettin-head-duet in the music stage will probably not happen ^^

Giants strength potion, poison-cloud arrows/bolts from manticore, maybe 7 hydra-skull helmets, probably a minotaurs great axe (curiously enough they have lvl15 wrestler and carry no axe)... I dont want to use too much on the summoning system, because it is buggy as hell, and megabeast corpses are quite rare. Maybe I should just add 2 souls to the Ettin. :)

Angelos allowed me to use his creature-pics he did for DF, 5 in total. So here a preview, for all those that wondered what a green devourer looks like. I also have a bugbat, crundle, snailman and elkbird.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:14:28 pm by Meph »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: August 30, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »

I dont want to use too much on the summoning system, because it is buggy as hell, and megabeast corpses are quite rare. Maybe I should just add 2 souls to the Ettin. :)

Well, that's kinda the point behind the corpse-item based summons. If you're feeling the itch to take on something rather strong and have killed a Roc before, just summon a lesser or even a 'Corrupted' [via Dwarven drunken summoning] version for training/science/fun/etc. Makes it a bit more worth it to kill a beast like that, especially considering their rareness. Just make it so the summoning item doesn't explode on one use, make it a 95% chance of reuse.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6639 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:26 pm »

Oh, and everyone have a look at this:

☼MASTERWORK☼ Orc Fortress v0.2.0 "Two Year Challenge" There is testing to be done, for the orcs who are still alive... still alive...

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: August 30, 2012, 06:21:48 pm »

Maybe an ettin would drop something that would enable a mage to dual-cast certain spells? Like, FIREBALL1 and FIREBALL2, with 2 being enabled when the special item is used in a reaction.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: August 30, 2012, 06:28:13 pm »

Meph, what happened to those new help docs you had posted?

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: August 30, 2012, 06:40:00 pm »

@ zenerbufen & Meph
I have got a working hardcoded theme though it needs some tweaking.
It does not have enough contrast right now, the button edges are almost invisible.
It does not work with the GTK+ style and probably won't work with the Macintosh and Windows Style.

Do you want me to post some example screenshots of what it looks like with the other styles?
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6643 on: August 30, 2012, 11:18:21 pm »

New help docs? You mean the html manual, and if yes, what of it?

@arclance: All phyton/design things are zens decisions. I will only add the metatags and mod the gui to suit the raws. I dont know phyton and both of you only talk gibberish/an invented language from my point of view. :)

@gaxkang:nice nick. :) Although I cant make the ettin corpse mage specific, most fortresses would have no use for it. But I will figure something out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6644 on: August 31, 2012, 12:10:53 am »

RL Update, because I can.

Finished my tour. For now.

(warning, massive pictures. red:done, green:future)
Spoiler: USA ROUTE (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: WORLD ROUTE (click to show/hide)

Now wrapping up red-tape, getting my bike in a plane, and arranging water/eletricity/heating/internet for my house in germany. yeah. ^^
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:20:50 am by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 749