Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836343 times)

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - Weaponry/Armory Poll
« Reply #6480 on: August 23, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »

Not clockwork parts, in-edible bodyparts. Try the crematory to get rid of them. Otherwise atomsmash or magma. (maybe magma proof, depending on automaton caste)

New fish farm. Renamed to fishpond. You can only build it with access to water and a custom tradegood, life fish. To avoid people building it immediatly and in deserts...  I also moved the train-swimming from the fountain to here. Fountain will be disabled by default and is only decorational. This means one building less in the list :)

Feedback ? Looks good, bad, rather keep the old fishfarm and fountain ?
Sound like a good idea. I prefer having slightly less building with more uses than many buildings with only few uses. I liked the way the fountain looked so could you perhaps change it into a watersource? Something like requiring one hole that is connected to water. (And perhaps always producing clean water. Kind of like a well.)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: August 23, 2012, 03:42:45 pm »

Dwarves also will prefer edged attacks to blunt attacks with a ratio of 100:1, so no mixed blunt/edged weapons are possible.

Messy/hacky as hell, but in theory you could give the weapon....say....51 attacks of which 1 is edge and 50 are cloned blunt strikes.  The weapon user should then use the edge twice for each blunt strike.  Havent tested this.

Also I like your new fishfarm.  It looks good graphically and I like the compression of 2 buildings into 1, I dont remember the last time I built a fountain anyway.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:53 pm »

The issue is that I have tried Fishfarms: they are expensive, and only support one fisherman at once, and continually absorb valuable resources. An Artificial river is better in almost all circumstances. I Did build one in Taintbroil, but I was was inundated with siege-meats, and there was plenty of soil layer to dig out for farms, so I never bothered burning the valuable wood to make pearlash.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: August 23, 2012, 03:47:55 pm »

About the weapons:
I like the masterwork craftable weapon types and would prefer if they were kept but perhaps the amount of invider weapon types could be decreases? All those orc choppas, slashas etc (and racial armor for lesser extent) could perhaps be replaced with similar weapons that are not race specific. It would be a bit less confusing but still keep diversity.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6484 on: August 23, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

The fountain will still be there, if you want it. By default OFF, but you can turn it on and keep it as deco.

The fishpond is mostly for waterless maps with "nothing to catch", giving your fisherdwarves something to do. I did remove the glass component to build them and you only need blocks, a few buckets of water, and cheap "life fish" which can be ordered from any race.

The race-specific weapons and armor... difficult one. I really like drow having reavers and orcs choppas, and humans paladin-themed stuff. But it is right, they have no other use. I will most likely remove all direct renamed copies, and leave a few items in. These will have different stats however, the orc weapons (even in the current version) are too big and heavy for dwarves to use. Will definetly be decreased and added to the manual in future.

Manual: Nothing new on it.
GUI: Nothing new so far.

About the mixed blunt AND edged weapons: No. ^^

EDIT: About the poll: Seems half the people dont use the upgrade system. Mh... so I either have to make it more interesting, more accessable, or more powerful. I wonder if it is because of the lack of documentation about it, or because the micromanagement is so high.

EDIT2: If I understand the wiki correctly throwing, biting and misc.object.user are all weapon skills. No idea how to use those, because I cant rename the profession for those. Cant rename the knifedwarf profession either.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 04:14:31 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: August 23, 2012, 04:17:40 pm »

The fishpond looks really sweet, i like it. :D

About the upgradsystemthingy, for me i dont use it because i uhm dont reach it so fast and the most of my fortress are 1 or 2 years and all dwarfs died. ;D

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: August 23, 2012, 05:32:10 pm »

I think I will trim down on the weapons and rebalance them a bit anyway. There is no big difference in short sword, long sword and scimitar. I also cant imagine a dwarven smith making a scimitar. Too eastern/oriental. I cant see a difference in pike and spear usage/skill, why are there two skills for this ? The same for mace and hammer. Swinging a hammer or a mace shouldnt make a differnce, so I dont know why there are two skills here. I see an unused "lasher" skill, since no dwarven weapons have this... and I know that no one would ever create "large daggers" if you can just make a great axe in the same forge, so the knife-skill is mostly unused. All in all, there is much room for improvement.

Example:
Merge Spear and Pike into one skill: Speardwarf
Merge Hammer and Mace into one skill: Hammerdwarf
Add a new weapon that uses lasher skill. Bullwhips and razorwhips ? (cant simulate range)
Add a new weapon that uses knife skill. Better throwing knifes ?
Delete scimitar
Merge short and long sword into sword
Rename pike skill into... "halberddwarf" ? (for pole-axes and similar items)
Rename mace skill into... "Morningstart-dwarf ? (stupid I know, but for swinging weapons and flails)

What I would love to see is the throwing-javelin tactic used  by roman legionaires. They had 2 spears with them, a shield and a sword. They stand, throw the first spear, throw the second spear, then charge into melee. This would be awesome for DF. You melee squad would hurt/slow down the enemies before the actual melee begins.

I think that's probably for the best, and i'd like to give you my 2 cents on this:

As it's actual use is the same, i agree that the spear + pike merge is nice, the mace + hammer is also reasonable, but should get another name, like blunt weapons skill or whatever (Blunt Weaponmaster =P). About the lasher skill, i don't know, whips are just not dwarvenly enough maybe something like chained blades or hooks would seem more appropriate, even weighted chains would be nice.
Knife skills should be used for bayonettes and last resort weapons, using the roman leggionaire theme, they used the pugio when they lost their weapon or it broke for some reason (let's not forget that weapon durability will come in the future, so it'll keep reasonable).
About swords, i think there's no doubt, there should be only the dwarven sword, because they had no reason to use long swords while fighting in tunnels or close combat.
Nice addition the pole versions of weaponry, maybe name the skill as polearms skill, being able to get a polehammer, poleaxe, halberd, etc. for flavour.
I loved the idea of adding flails, i think they are underrated weapons that excelled at medieval times, in a one on one combat, a masterful strike with a flail could surpass any armory and would break bones through shields. Since the flail was what lead to morning-star and other segmented weaponry that consisted in shaft connected by chain to something heavy (from a metal ball to spiked bars), you should name it flail skill.

About the leggionaire javelin + melee combo, giving the usual dorf intellect, it'd waste the javelins on passing birds and other critters not intended, so, until the AI is improved, i don't think it would be viable, since dorfs would just run after the tossing to get more ammo if the enemies didn't get close enough =P

About runic weaponry and armor plates, i think it should be simplified, making plate armors without making the armor plates separately. The runic weaponry, i didn't get it, tried to use but seen no improvement, so i gave up. Is there any difference between gold and silver runes?
That's all i can think right now

Scrangos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: August 23, 2012, 06:28:14 pm »

Wondering if it is intended for gemtip arrows not to be made out of cut green glass gems?  I can do it by modding the raws but I don't really want to go against the spirit of the modmaker if that's the official intent.

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: August 23, 2012, 06:51:27 pm »

I can only play around with contact area, how deep it cuts, how heavy the weapon is, and how fast it is swung. The two lasts ones have very odd effects and are hard to balance.  I will definetly try to improve the system though. One one-handed weapons and one two-handed weapon for each weapon skill for example. I just cant simulate longer range for whips, or stealthy rougue-dwarves with two daggers... all very limited.

I'd like to request a third set of each weapon type for the larger races/invaders to use two-handed and for them to use, with one hand, the weapons dwarves need two hands for.   I also like McAddict's idea to rename the pike skill to polearm and include stuff like the glaive (sword on a stick), bardiche (very wide axe blade on a stick), and poll hammer in with the halberd.  Polearms should be heavy (maybe too big/heavy to wielded effectively by dwarfs) and powerfull with a high velocity modifier (3000 or so).

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6489 on: August 23, 2012, 07:32:32 pm »

Knife = Large Knife = Knifedwarf (cant rename it seemingly)
Sword = Short/Long Sword, Zweihander = Swordsdwarf
Axe = Chopping Axe, Battle Axe, Great Axe = Axedwarf
Spear = Spear, (Great Hunter Spear) = Speardwarf
Hammer = Warhammer, Mace = Hammerdwarf (Bluntweaponuser sounds awkward)

Pike = Poleaxe/Halbred , Polehammer = Halberdier (Poleweaponsdwarf sounds awkward)
Mace = Javelin Thrower = Javelindwarf (possible, use for my 4th ranged weapon)
Lasher = Flails, Morningstar = Flaildwarf (Morningstardwarf sounds awkward)

Mining = Pick, Battlepick = Miner

Bow = Bow, Compisite Bow, Great Bow = Bowdwarf
Crossbow = Crossbow = Crossbowdwarf
Blowgun = Flintlock Pistol, Musket = Rifledwarf (Musketdwarf?)

Problems: How to simulate Flails/Morningstars? How to do the range of poleweapons? How to teach people that a polehammer doesnt use the hammer skill? And better names are needed...

The alternative would be two make one "weapon" and one "two-handed weapon" for each skill.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:55 pm »

A Flail has a chain. A Morningstar MAY OR MAY NOT have a chain. A Spiked flail is called...a flail. Or an Aspergillium, the "Holy water Sprinkler". I prefer to call Solid Stick with Spiked appendage a Morningstar, and call one with a chain a flail for purposes of clarity, since flails without spiky metal spheres were not that popular.

Flails have a high impact velocity due to the chain, so despite the larger impact area, of say, 200, they still inflict massive amounts of damage.

I honestly don't know why you would combine Mace and Hammers as a skill, since a war hammer was deployed diffrently than a mace in combat, and was often combined with a pick. Functionally, a combat pick could have a smashing end on it and be called a warhammer. Dwarves seem to prefer the "More effective" attack of any given weapon, but since picks are made of godlike power they are often prefered for the hitting.

You could call it Staffdorf, Poledorf, or similar for the two handed superior spear types. They all had diffrent uses, but the most common was to dismount a knight and pierce his armour.

Also, the meteor hammer kinda sucks :(

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Tigrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: August 23, 2012, 09:10:33 pm »

Problems: How to simulate Flails/Morningstars? How to do the range of poleweapons? How to teach people that a polehammer doesnt use the hammer skill? And better names are needed...

I don't know of a way to make the polearms have better range, but you could give them a higher velocity modifier to simulate having greater angular momentum.  You could seperate them from their smaller cousins by using names from historical weapons like bec de corbins (hammer), bardiche (axe), glaive (sword), and spetum (spear).

Also a couple of names:

Halberdier = Polearmdwarf
Rifledwarf = Gundwarf

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: August 23, 2012, 10:11:43 pm »

For some reason I cant make golem hearts at my temple of armok. I have Iridium Wafers, and I can use the other options that I have ingredients to, but I cant make golem hearts.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:24 pm »

couldn't you make a edged weapon attack with low penetration depth? if it can't penetrate deep enough it should do blunt damage, according to the vanilla's wiki it says a spiked ball, for weapon traps, does blunt damage if it can't penetrate deep enough

i could be completely wrong though :-X
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6494 on: August 23, 2012, 10:41:25 pm »

For some reason I cant make golem hearts at my temple of armok. I have Iridium Wafers, and I can use the other options that I have ingredients to, but I cant make golem hearts.

35% chance of a heart, unless something changed. Oh, I see it now. I think it's a tool versus toy issue in the raws.
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 749