Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836262 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - Weaponry/Armory Poll
« Reply #6465 on: August 23, 2012, 02:30:17 am »

I don't think there is yet any chart to compare data from different weapons.  Scimitars fall right in between the common edge weapons...  I've thought about this one quite a bit because it is the standard 1H sword weapon in Orc Fortress.  They're larger and more massive than a short sword, smaller and easier to wield 1H than a longsword, but lower penetration power-per-area than shortsword or axe.  As you probably know combat effectiveness in any given situation from these stats is hard to say, depends on external factors in complicated ways.  (target armor material, user size & strength, crafted quality of weapon, etc.)

Knuckle dusters don't look like they would be especially good: going by the prime stats for blunt weapons of velocity, mass, and contact area they are weaker than warhammers or maces.  But they are kind of unique in that they use the striking skill. 

Sirmaril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm from Poland, so sorry for my bad english.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: August 23, 2012, 07:26:07 am »

I don't know if anybody mentioned it before, but I went through raws for plant and fing out that WOLF BERRIES don't have tags like [SPRING] [SUMMER] etc. I think that it would prevent me from planting these anytime of the year.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6467 on: August 23, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

I think I will trim down on the weapons and rebalance them a bit anyway. There is no big difference in short sword, long sword and scimitar. I also cant imagine a dwarven smith making a scimitar. Too eastern/oriental. I cant see a difference in pike and spear usage/skill, why are there two skills for this ? The same for mace and hammer. Swinging a hammer or a mace shouldnt make a differnce, so I dont know why there are two skills here. I see an unused "lasher" skill, since no dwarven weapons have this... and I know that no one would ever create "large daggers" if you can just make a great axe in the same forge, so the knife-skill is mostly unused. All in all, there is much room for improvement.

Example:
Merge Spear and Pike into one skill: Speardwarf
Merge Hammer and Mace into one skill: Hammerdwarf
Add a new weapon that uses lasher skill. Bullwhips and razorwhips ? (cant simulate range)
Add a new weapon that uses knife skill. Better throwing knifes ?
Delete scimitar
Merge short and long sword into sword
Rename pike skill into... "halberddwarf" ? (for pole-axes and similar items)
Rename mace skill into... "Morningstart-dwarf ? (stupid I know, but for swinging weapons and flails)

What I would love to see is the throwing-javelin tactic used by roman legionaires. They had 2 spears with them, a shield and a sword. They stand, throw the first spear, throw the second spear, then charge into melee. This would be awesome for DF. You melee squad would hurt/slow down the enemies before the actual melee begins.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6468 on: August 23, 2012, 12:17:06 pm »

What I would love to see is the throwing-javelin tactic used by roman legionaires. They had 2 spears with them, a shield and a sword. They stand, throw the first spear, throw the second spear, then charge into melee. This would be awesome for DF. You melee squad would hurt/slow down the enemies before the actual melee begins.

Maybe if this "transform your dwarfes into full-time-soldiers"-idea comes back, this could be one advantage they could have over "militia"-dwarfs. Just give them a "throw javelin"-ability. They would probably throw more then two, and they would conjur javelins out of thin air, but it would also get rid off things like micromanagement, dwarfs not refilling their throwing weapons or using the things in melee.... well, that last thing could be ok in certain encounters, but still ;) Also, from my really low experience in modding, i see no other way to actually make that happen without giving dwarfs another arm, so they can wield a javelin thrower along with their melee weapon ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6469 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:56 pm »

It can be done by making the sword a ranged weapon, and procuding custom ammo in a workshop called "throwing spears" that are only created in batches of 2s. There will be a ton of micromanacement.

I can do it with interactions, yes. I can even restrict it by time, so they only throw 2 and then have to wait a ... week... month(?). But there would be no indicator for the player to know this, so it will remain fiction.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6470 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:41 pm »

please have them actually equip javelins, not conjure them  :o

I thought your current thrown weapons system already does a pretty good job modeling that kind of combat.  Other than the quivers holding more than 2 rounds I guess, I dunno how to work with that, but if they're out in the open they'll never get off 25 rounds anyway.

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PRINCIPES]
[NAME:gladius and javelin kit:gladius and javelin kits]
[SIZE:400]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[RANGED:THROW:JAVELIN]
[SHOOT_FORCE:5000]
[SHOOT_MAXVEL:1000]
[TWO_HANDED:45000]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:35000]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:gladius:1000]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:gladius:2500]

Ps.  Not to say you shouldn't merge them if you like, but I would have said that short swords and long swords are actually pretty different, as far as DF weapons go. 

Argh, ninjad.  whatever i'm posting it anyway :)

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6471 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:38 pm »

I just created a slade turret using the spawn location.  Why is it friendly and not tame?  How do I get it to a location where it can do some good?

Also, the dwarf that created the kit was in a squad.  He chopped the head off the kit.
The Mil Axe stabs The Kosoth Oslitast's mechanical kit in the body with his ðwelded mithril short swordð, shattering it!
The ðwelded mithril short swordð has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Mil Axe twists the embedded ðwelded mithril short swordð around in The Kosoth Oslitast's mechanical kit's body!
The Mil Axe dodges and strikes The Kosoth Oslitast's mechanical kit in the head with his left hand and the severed part sails off in an arc!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:03:50 pm by Altaree »
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6472 on: August 23, 2012, 01:43:17 pm »

I just created a slade turret using the spawn location.  Why is it friendly and not tame?  How do I get it to a location where it can do some good?
You cant. It is immoble and will stay where ever you spawned it. Spawning pets is impossible, sadly.

New Music System:
 - Fixed one bug with strength/toughness percentages.
 - Dwarves are now transformed into an immoble bard, staying on the music stage.
 - All effects and instruments stay the same.
 - Instruments have only a 25% surviving a performance.
 - I can give more infos about whats going on, by using the bards name.
 - I can give more infos about whats going on, by using the bards description. (maybe song-texts?)
 - I can give each bard a custom graphic, with the correct instrument in his hands :)
 - Dwarves loose the bonus faster if they walk away more then 25tiles from the music stage.
 - Dwarves will regain the bonus if they got back to the stage.

uristmcdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: August 23, 2012, 02:11:08 pm »

IS there any way to change tilesets - not only walls, some bushes and trees? I`d like to change dwarfs and minerals as well. I`ve tried to replacing some files in raw directory but that didnt work. Is this possible and if it is, how?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6474 on: August 23, 2012, 02:18:39 pm »

Wrong thread I would say. Changing tiles and editing tilesets has nothing to do with Masterwork DF, but yes, you can do this. But rather have a look at the wiki and search for tilesets there.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: August 23, 2012, 02:18:59 pm »

i see, simplifying weapons, i'd start at the very "very" basics instead of whittling down what we have rewrite from basic ideas

instead of . long sword, short sword, scimitar . just make a "Sword" and instead of giving it a blunt (pommel) a stab(tip) and a slash (blade) just make swords a slashing weapon only, but you can make it do different attacks randomly right? (edit, better let the axe take the slashing only position so combination weapons have a better 1hs =(^.-.^)= )

so here's my idea on that meph for you to use and abuse =)

1 slashing weapon = Axe! (with 1 / 2 hand versions)   Axe Dwarf
1 blunt weapon = Hammer!   Hammer Dwarf
1 pierce weapon = Spear!    Spear dwarf

then combination weapons
Slashing Pierce = Halberd (2hs) Sword (1hs) = sword skill, renamed to Milita dwarf (since early milita's used these slashing pierce weapons.)
Blunt Pierce = MorningStar, GreatStar (2hs) Mace Dwarf
Slashing Blunt = hammeraxe, (hamaxe for short) Pikedwarf - renamed to Hamaxe dwarf
Slashing blunt Pierce = Dwarven Urgrosh (2hs only) (Dwarven Urgrosh = the combination of a spear a halberd and on the other side of the axe head is a hammerhead) = lasher skill, renamed Urgrosh dwarf? =) or pick something for flavor

if you wanted it simple cut down the attacks the weapons can do right, just make different types of swings that do the same type of damage but similiar ammounts, maybe even critical hits? , i cant even begin to post the idea in code like people do -.-

can you make the "discription of the item" say which skill it uses?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 02:25:52 pm by Fairin »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6476 on: August 23, 2012, 02:28:00 pm »

I cant make the description say what it does.

Dwarves also will prefer edged attacks to blunt attacks with a ratio of 100:1, so no mixed blunt/edged weapons are possible. I can only play around with contact area, how deep it cuts, how heavy the weapon is, and how fast it is swung. The two lasts ones have very odd effects and are hard to balance.  I will definetly try to improve the system though. One one-handed weapons and one two-handed weapon for each weapon skill for example. I just cant simulate longer range for whips, or stealthy rougue-dwarves with two daggers... all very limited.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6477 on: August 23, 2012, 02:37:20 pm »

Just killed a bunch of automatons.  Body parts everywhere.  Can I melt/butcher them or are they just trash?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Fairin

• Bay Watcher
  • Furry!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6478 on: August 23, 2012, 03:00:21 pm »

well then maybe make a few more blunt "attacks" than slashing on the combination weaponry?

clockwork parts are for turrets and whatnot

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6479 on: August 23, 2012, 03:29:37 pm »

Not clockwork parts, in-edible bodyparts. Try the crematory to get rid of them. Otherwise atomsmash or magma. (maybe magma proof, depending on automaton caste)

New fish farm. Renamed to fishpond. You can only build it with access to water and a custom tradegood, life fish. To avoid people building it immediatly and in deserts...  I also moved the train-swimming from the fountain to here. Fountain will be disabled by default and is only decorational. This means one building less in the list :)

Feedback ? Looks good, bad, rather keep the old fishfarm and fountain ?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 03:31:45 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 749