Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836333 times)

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - POLL about Metals
« Reply #6360 on: August 17, 2012, 11:51:23 pm »

Can underground races siege you? If so, how do you know if they're sieging you?

I ask because I seem to be "stuck" in a siege even after I defeated/drove away all the above-ground siegers. I figured that maybe the siege was actually underground and the aboveground guys were just remaining ambushers (clockwork riflemen automatons) that struck around the same time.

Or is this a bug? =/

Also the automatons seemed bugged too--they just stood on a ridge and let me fill them with bolts even when there was a clear, untrapped path to the fortress.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6361 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:11 am »

I might as well ask, is the lack of armour on enemy troops a deliberate design decision? It DOES reduce the goblinite and thus improve FPS, as well as forcing you to maintain a clothing industry, but they might as well be wearing lorica segmentata for all the protection it gives them. Leaving the grunts so pitifully armoured is probably a good thing,(It keeps slashing relevant) but shouldn't elite units wear a full set?

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Poonyen

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarg!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube page
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - Html-Manual#2 (beta)
« Reply #6362 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:51 am »

Music Stage
Music System would be better if the dwarf would be transformed into a bard for a while. Immobile he would stand on the music stage and only leave when his song is done. Makes a lot more sense then the current one. This way people lose the dwarf-power of the bard for as long as he plays, and I could make them play actual songs, with texts in the interaction log. Of course by using transformation mages wouldnt work for this... but I think thats excuseable.

Hey Meph

Great stuff with the mod as usual. Excuse my ignorance if this seems silly, but is there any way to implement/introduce this into the gamelog.txt events (unless the interaction log is actually the gamelog.txt file, in which case nevermind)? I make some songs for Soundsense and I was planning on doing some more taverny singing stuff some time. Anyway, if the playing of actual songs can be little gamelog.txt events, maybe the songs needn't only be described, but actually heard through Soundsense...

Perhaps a bit of a stretch, no?

(Good luck with the rest of your trip!)
I like to make music especially for Dwarf Fortress and Soundsense in my spare time (https://www.youtube.com/simonswerwer, http://soundcloud.com/simonswerwer). Also check out Toadese Language Utility to read and write DF dwarven texts (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136098). Bang the tankards!

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6363 on: August 18, 2012, 03:50:24 am »

shh stop talking about them, they are supposed to be a secret. ;) 425 pages and counting. The secret will be buried again soon...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6364 on: August 18, 2012, 09:31:55 am »

Underground races siege and ambush you, yes.

@poonyen: Yes, totally possible. I wanted to dive into stound/stonesense once I am on a real PC and can actually run those next to DF without causing crashes ^^ But the transformation is absolutely in the gamelog, and I just make 12 different creatures. "dwarf1 has transformed into a bard playing the song of the dead" and so on... I tought of using songs I find online (hobbits misty mountains colds for example) but if there are df-related songs... custom made... wow. Even better :)

@wrex: They should have helms, armor, greaves, shields and weapons. I dont call that pitifull. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6365 on: August 18, 2012, 10:38:18 am »

Can underground races siege you? If so, how do you know if they're sieging you?

Yes, you'll get a normal siege message, and the option to "go to look at them" just like a regular siege.  If you can't see into the part of the cavern that they appear it'll just zoom you to what looks like a black area of the screen in the depth.

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6366 on: August 18, 2012, 11:17:26 am »

Well that's all well and good if you remembered to do that, but what do I do now? I have no idea where they are and I won't get any traders until I deal with them. Use Reveal? =/

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6367 on: August 18, 2012, 11:20:50 am »

dig around, create windows into the caverns and look for them?

i'm 90% sure that underground sieges don't interfere with traders.  in the ongoing masterwork community test fort we had underground siegers seemingly continuously for years and plenty of trade happened.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6368 on: August 18, 2012, 12:31:26 pm »

i'm 90% sure that underground sieges don't interfere with traders.  in the ongoing masterwork community test fort we had underground siegers seemingly continuously for years and plenty of trade happened.

I'm 100% sure they don't, I'm under constant sieges from antmen in my current fort, and I'm happily trading with drow caravans during that.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Cato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6369 on: August 18, 2012, 01:18:14 pm »

Not sure if it's been noted before, I looked some but couldn't find any mention of it, but I found what I assume is a bug with the Create Metal reactions at the Alchemist Lab. Namely since the various aethers (though I've only tested with mithril) get stored in a jug, when you go to create metal it used up the whole jug. So Extract mithril aether produced 5 mithril aether stored in a diorite jug using one mithril bar. Then Create mithril took the jug of mihtril aether[5] and made one mithril bar, consuming all of the mithril aether. So while I suppose it allows you to train up sciencedwarf you can't actually gain any metal with the reactions as they work right now.

I modded the reaction slightly in a bit of a hack to make it work by requiring and producing multiple jugs worth. So the create X is unchanged, but the extract reactions get modified to use 5 different jugs and then it worked properly, if a bit of a cludge, assuming that it's supposed to be that from one bar you extract enough aether for 5 bars.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6370 on: August 18, 2012, 02:11:59 pm »

Thanks for that :) Didnt notice that it uses all of the aether. Then again, I dislike the way I wrote the alchemy system anyway ^^

Two little ideas that popped up while sorting through some files I have floating around:

1. Make all ranged weapons use their ranged skill for melee as well.
Currently a crossbow strikes like a hammer, a pistol like a hammer... but a bayonetted pistol uses knife skill, while a bayonetted musket uses spear skill. While this is strictly speaking correct, wouldnt it make more sense if they just use their crossbowdwarf and rifledwarf skill for this ? It would make it both easier for the player to remember, and for the dwarf to fight.

2. Late-game high-end traders.
With all those industries linked to invaders, it will be hard for a player to unlock all of them in one fortress, because he will most likely not fight all of them in the same world. Should I add a 5th trading race that arrives late (same time as Frost Giants appear) that can offer those basic ingredients? It would take at least another year till they come back with what you ordered... I havent thought about the race itself, maybe thieves to explain that they have all this random stuff, or maybe "high council dwarves" and make them arrive at the same season as the normal dwarf caravan ? On the other hand, that would defeat the purpose of something really hard to make. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Cromage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6371 on: August 18, 2012, 02:19:11 pm »

That's odd; I missed a human caravan during one of those sieges. Maybe I'll see if the Mountainhome one skips out too.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6372 on: August 18, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

1.  i prefer it as is, a crossbowdwarf should have to cross train if he wants to be great at bayonet fighting too. 

2.  Some kind of High end traders is an awesome idea!  Whether or not they unlock all the best stuff, dunno.  (if nothing else having alternate ways to get rare stuff can be good for testing purposes)

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6373 on: August 18, 2012, 02:31:44 pm »

Hi end traders sound interesting, I also like the thieves idea.

So what race could reasonably have access to the stolen unique stuff of the other invaders? The answer of course, is Kobolds!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6374 on: August 18, 2012, 02:33:42 pm »

Oh... and am I the only one that thinks spear/pike skill and hammer/mace skill are somewhat reduntant ? I dont really see the difference. Yes, the weapon itself is different, but the way to use it is the same. I could easily steal these two and make them... Halberd- and Javelindwarves? (for the heavy pole-axe halberds, and the javelin throwers, which currently use crossbow as skill)

There are also no dwarven weapons that use the lasher skill, and no one ever makes "large knifes" so maybe I should think about a nice, actually useful knife weapon.

@panopticum: High-end, late-game... kobolds... sounds strange to my ears. It is still the first thing I thought of as well ^^
Pages: 1 ... 423 424 [425] 426 427 ... 749