Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836331 times)

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - POLL about Metals
« Reply #6330 on: August 16, 2012, 05:16:51 pm »

One of the main things I like about Masterwork is it removed a lot of the extra names from things so I am all in favor of removing any more extra names from materials and items. If it does the same thing, name it the same.

Or make that an option in the GUI since it was fun for a bit until I found out a lot of the extra names were not any different.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6331 on: August 16, 2012, 09:02:45 pm »

Ok...

Steeloak is a tree and gives steel. So that is that. Bloodsteel however is an alternative to steel, made from totally different resources. I just added a "steel" to the name, so people will know how good or bad it is without looking anything up.

It is true that no one uses copper, bronze or iron for armor or weapons. That is a problem from my point of view, so iron-ore and flux will probably be rarer in future versions.
Melt ore => Copper
Melt ore => make alloy => Bronze
Melt ore => refine wrought iron => Iron
Iron + Flux => Pig Iron + Flux => Steel

For mithril I thought of this:
Silver => + special ingredient => mithril
Truesilver => melt ore => 50% mithril
Raw_Mithril => melt ore => 100% mithril
Truesilver are small clusters found in galena and silver veins, while raw_mithril will be the same as now. No need for grinding and smelting powder, you just get it from the ore, or refine it in some way from silver. Probably needing a special ingredient like flux (anything really, but flux, because it should be an alternative)

Volcanic would then use steel and mithril (instead of silver) and obsidian/slade/magma.
Slade metal... will probably be killed. Same goes for slademantine, I dont like it myself. Too many balancing problems with these über-metals. Bifrost is ok, because you have to fight for it ;)

Unkillable blob is a no-go then... :( When I read the comment about: I never use such tactics and would surely die, my first thought was: Well, now you would have a reason to learn those tactics... but then again I forget that not all players like the sometimes very hard difficulty I want to add ;) But specific, harder, more special megabeasts it is. Hopefully I can find some ideas about different tactics you need to kill them. And no worries, I would describe the basic idea in the creature description.

Oh, and the Fortress Defense races... I might remove, or at least put them, and other optional races in a clear category that says: DANGER unbalanced, use if you know what you are doing... but I think I will two other thins: 2 more races, making it 8 invaders. But turning these OFF by default, saying: Enable them for extra challange. One AQUATIC race, that goes through moats and swims up you wells, and one FLYING race, and we all know the fun those cause. Maybe Skeletons/Liches/HarderUndead for the Aquatic race (because they dont breathe anyway... wait a second, I can add this to the Terracotta army then. :) ) and one... flying... no idea. Any ideas ? Anyone ? Except fairin ?   

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6332 on: August 16, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »

Sounds good to me. You could use steel as "special ingredient" because you said that mithril will be equal to steel, but lighter. Thing is, weight matters, so you could upgrade your troops so they can arrive at the combat zone faster. I'm not sure if this is very balanced though.
About the flying race,  I think that giant eagle people would be nice. Or an elder race that is parent to the dragons and could therefore have some of their abilities. Or cave swallow men from the caverns (I just hope that they won't have wooden weapons, I really have no ideas, I'm just trying to give you ideas).

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6333 on: August 16, 2012, 09:24:47 pm »

Not everyone has tin on their maps meph, expecting massive bronze production is a no go. I also fail to understand how making iron rarer will mean that it is used more, and flux is formed out of entire layers. People will always just settle where the flux is. Making Iron rarer means it will ONLY be used for steel, rather than make more of it used for base quality weaponry.

As long as these special megabeasts can be toggled, with perhaps a seperate toggle for "Super !!FUN!! Monsters" as distinct from just extra megabeasts, it should be fine.

As far as a flying race goes, have you ever heard of the Crawfordsville monster? A flying, acidic, blob that can allegedly travel in swarms. Give them, intellegence, thick rubbery hide (And Fat, nature's armour!) and make thier tentacles fairly weak...but cause acid burns on contact. Perhaps with a special projectile caste, that fires globs of water/acid (Dosen't really matter, water is heavier than most rocks :P), and a bruiser caste with thicker, more resilient fat. Even realatively ineffective wrestling will burn the hell out of anything they grab.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6334 on: August 16, 2012, 09:25:18 pm »

Not steel. It should be: Industry 1 results in steel. Industry 2 results in mithril. Industry 1,2 and 3 together result in volcanic.

Maybe silver + gems = mithril ? I think it should have something to do with mining... gems, glass... or just a higher fuel cost, with 3 coke for each reaction. 2 silver bars, 3 coke = 1 mithril bar. (you guys notice that I just make this up as I go ^^) There should definetly be some refining steps, it MUST be harder to make then steel. I could also use buildings of course... get rid of the arc furnace (do all new metals in the smelter as usual) and add the "mithril forge/smelter" that is harder to make. Work in progress I guess ^^

And a flying cave race would really mess people up, because they always dig those straight up/down-staircases into the caverns and then forget about it... mh... I like this idea. Maybe my batmen will get a little upgrade and start flying into you fort more often ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #6335 on: August 16, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »

Consider retaining slade, but simply as a boulder, rather than a metal.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6336 on: August 16, 2012, 09:51:45 pm »

Well, caverns are meant to the challenging, if they have twenty batmen in their fort, they must remember that losing is FUN!
About the mithril, gems would be a good idea but thing is, they are kind of rare. I mean, finding the good gem will be difficult. Have you considered glass? Crystal glass/clear glass. It will force you to get some wood (from the caverns, trading or the surface or even farming). Then you'll have to make pearlash, which will take some time and fuel.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6337 on: August 16, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »

Yes, slade boulders will stay. And pearlash or potash sounds good a reagent for the mithril :)

@wrex: right. mh... so making it rarer doesnt really make sense. point taken ;)

EDIT: Just had a very random idea. What if... the allies are combined into one race, like goblins/orcs/trolls/ogres for the invaders ? You would get ONE caravan, with a gnome trader, a human liaison, elven archers as bodyguards, dwarven axe-guards... Of course your home-civ would still be dwarf only... but it would free some space for more interesting allies, without spamming too many caravans and civs in worldgen. Anyway, I dont plan this for the mod, just sprung into my brain.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:12:30 pm by Meph »

Shingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6338 on: August 16, 2012, 10:45:21 pm »

Well, I think the trading would be more limited. For example, it wouldn't be logic that the caravan accepts wooden crafts if there are elves. Also, one caravan per year might be difficult for some of the players.

ShadowLop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6339 on: August 16, 2012, 11:16:16 pm »

Not steel. It should be: Industry 1 results in steel. Industry 2 results in mithril. Industry 1,2 and 3 together result in volcanic.

Maybe silver + gems = mithril ? I think it should have something to do with mining... gems, glass... or just a higher fuel cost, with 3 coke for each reaction. 2 silver bars, 3 coke = 1 mithril bar. (you guys notice that I just make this up as I go ^^) There should definetly be some refining steps, it MUST be harder to make then steel. I could also use buildings of course... get rid of the arc furnace (do all new metals in the smelter as usual) and add the "mithril forge/smelter" that is harder to make. Work in progress I guess ^^

Obsidian.
Obsidian is a glass with no crystalline structure, so it can get ridiculously sharp. Silver would give it strength and weight, while reducing it's fragility.

Alternative to smelting mithril: Use steel with mercury in an alchemy lab to create mithril.
Steel from industry 1, plus the 'mystical' properties of mercury, otherwise known as quicksilver, could turn steel into mithril alchemically. It would also give the alchemy lab a really good purpose beyond the philo stone.
Hmm...a trade? Intriguing...No, wait, boring! PULL OFF HIS KNEECAPS!

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6340 on: August 16, 2012, 11:29:31 pm »

I like this idea, more uses for Alchemy is always good.

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6341 on: August 17, 2012, 12:28:32 am »

Please don't leave anything out because it is to hard. If it is too hard default it to off. Seriously, if someone turns on something called "super !!FUN!! unkillable legendary megabeasts" that is highlighted in bright red and then they lose their fortress they have no reason to be upset. Please put in the unkillable blobs, I want to capture them and make traps with them for my enemies! If a few dwarfs die oh well.. They are unkillable legendary megabeasts after all, a few casualties are to be expected when trying to 'tame' them.

vomov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6342 on: August 17, 2012, 03:27:12 am »

... because they always dig those straight up/down-staircases into the caverns and then forget about it...

Yeah, I remember a friggin' awesome fortress being wiped out by a flying megabeast coming in from one of the caverns. Since then I listen to the paranoid in me, and wall everything up right away. The weaver is trapped outside with a bit of food and a bed, and after a year he's let back in, the silk is quickly dragged in, and he's pushed out there again.

Concerning mithril; the lore surrounding it suggests it being its own metal, possibly something along the lines of titanium. Not silver and something else. But if we are going that way (which I don't really mind), how about making it difficult to produce large quantities of it by making titanium (as TiO2 in ilmenite, I think) or platinum a reagent in its production? Those only occur in clusters, so mithril production would suffer a quite severe bottleneck.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6343 on: August 17, 2012, 04:54:34 am »

My comment about the megabeasts was only my view, it would still be fun, because im sure i would first fling my legendary warriors at those unkillable things. before i realize that thats a bad idea, but if you make them an option, yes, i would probably disable them, but i would enable the really hard ones ;)

In regards to steel: What if you make the reaction longer by adding automatic workshop-steps (Smelt/clean/form bars), then people have to decide "Do i wait for the steel to be produced, or do i equip my soldiers NOW, but with weaker stuff?".

Riun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6344 on: August 17, 2012, 05:07:41 am »

I am also fine with the really hard megabeasts, as long as they are selectable :)

I like the idea of gems for mithril, as well as the alchemical point of view. Maybe add a reaction to make a special gem out of any gems and use this with mithril? Just adding more coke is boring. Only complexity then would be to hire mor farmers/miners and another Furnace.
Another possibility would be to add 5 or 10 steps to steel/mithril making to make it more endgame. Hammer steel into Damaszenian steel in 5 steps, then add ingredient for mithril. This would ensure people would not start outfitting their army in steel/mithril.

Flying invader race - flying blobs sounds...strange. They sound fun gameplaywise, but i cant imagina fighting flying pudding... Upgraded Harpys could be an Idea. Giant Insect race (Starship troppers anyone?). Aboveground demons, maybe the siege version of one of your cults. Advanced human race/flying bandits/the evil human empire.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:14:43 am by Riun »
Pages: 1 ... 421 422 [423] 424 425 ... 749