Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836665 times)

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.4 - HTML-MANUAL (Alpha)
« Reply #6120 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:52 pm »

Concerning the manual.

I like the way is is working and you are using text instead of pictures.  The old picture guides look great but are unsearchable and thus a pain to use. 

I like the layout as well but do not care for the black and white.  The contrast is to much and just bugs me.  Personally I would use softer colors, more like this forum or maybe some earth tones or something.

Lastly, the info boxes for each item with the pics look really nice.  Sometimes a table is easier to look at and compare items however.  It would be awesome if you could embed a table for each group of things that is sort-able by category header like a regular Excel spreadsheet.  This would be especially useful for minerals, metals, woods, etc.  I am not saying do away with the info boxes, just include a link to a table or embed it at the bottom or something.

Anyway, just some ideas.  If you use them or not your guide still looks great and is certainly a welcome thing.  It has sorely been missing.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6121 on: August 08, 2012, 01:14:19 am »

Did a bit of work on it.

Texts are now a bit nicer formatted, the titles are graphical using a fancy picture, I added all plants, trees, weapons, ammos, some more creatures... and the quicklinks morwaul suggested. On the inorganic list you can click on "soil/sand/clay, minerals, metals, rock, gems, fossils, special" and you instantly jump to the fitting chapter. I like that feature, it will come in handy for the long list of items and buildings/reactions. I think I will add it to all pages that require a fair deal of scrolling otherwise.

I will still keep it black with white text, and the occasional red text, to keep the same style as DF.

I will also NOT include any tiles, tileset-explanations and so forth. Someone requested this in reddit, a chart where you can see an item/thing in ascii, phoebus, ironhand, mayday, jollybastion, and so forth. That is taking it a bit far. And since I only play Phoebus my knowledge would be lacking anyway. If anyone wants to do this, go ahead, but no thank you ;)

I also would like to hear suggestions/ideas about the lore/flavor texts. I dont want to mix them with the "info" material, because people with actual question will have it harder to find anything. So keeping a seperate section for this seems logical. OR writing it in italic, with a notice that it is lore...

I am torn about info about secret dwarves, the cult, the HFS and so forth. It IS spoiler material, and half the fun is to discover it yourself. I dont want to spoil the people. Now, I can simply not include it, OR give only vague tips OR add an extra "spoiler" section, OR include all the info. Havent decided about that one either. ^^
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 01:17:14 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: August 08, 2012, 03:02:31 am »

I'd be ok with a spoiler section of some kind, with big warnings about "PROCEED ANY FURTHER AT YOUR PERIL" or something, that then provides all the necessary information.

Then you can document the changes you might have made to HFS or other stuff you may not want to mention upfront, and people that want to figure things out for themselves can still do so.

lp_228

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:56 am »

Do you have problems with font? It seems that font is not refreshed correctly and it leaves blanks in text or the old text is left and you have to refresh manually (change position of "underlight").

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6124 on: August 08, 2012, 08:37:09 am »

What are you talking about ? In the manual, or do you refer to the TTF bug in DF ?
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

firons2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: August 08, 2012, 10:23:39 am »

What have i done...

They all burned. Great job man.Amazing start.

2 lived... *Roaring thunder* THERE IS STILL HOPE!

lp_228

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: August 08, 2012, 11:18:00 am »

By TTF you mean text overfolow?

The bug is in DF, not manual. For example in nobles menu, squads, workshops or in trading screen.

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: August 08, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

I had an elf Diplomat come for the usual "DON'T KILL THE TREES THEY ARE SPESHUL" meeting. About halfway through the meeting whenever I press "a" to continue the conversation DF hard crashes. No error, nothing in the gamelog. Gonna try and fix using lava.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6128 on: August 08, 2012, 05:23:13 pm »

@yuri: Without save I cant judge anything about crashes. Did you solve the problem ?

@firons2: what in armoks name have you done, and why ?

@lp_228: TTF means TrueTypeFont, and the missing letters are a known vanilla DF bug. You only notice it more in the mod, because truetype is ON by default. You can turn it off by pressing F12, or 2xF11, that will temporarily fix all the missing letters.

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: August 08, 2012, 05:26:12 pm »

Yeah, splashed him with some magma before he could talk to my duke about the dangers of cutting trees or some twaddlesworth.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: August 08, 2012, 06:41:12 pm »

What even is this?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: August 08, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »

Also, how do you open crates?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6132 on: August 08, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »

Also, why do you make double posts ?

Storage Units opens crates... and the artifact is "a rest of an armor", a sad little excuse for a breastplate, usually worn by orcs or goblins. oh, and since the file is open anyway:

[ITEM_ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_GOBLIN1]
[NAME:rest of an armor:rests of an armor]
[ARMORLEVEL:3]
[UBSTEP:5]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:100]
[LAYER_SIZE:20]
[LAYER_PERMIT:49]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[HARD]
[METAL]

REQUEST
Does anyone know where to find TREE-ICONS 64x64pixel, that fit the manual ? Same goes for creatures. Or any good icon database.[/size]

Edit: Added all the quicklinks to each chapter that needs them (the buildings alone needed 56 of those) added all pants, gloves, armors, and boots.

Missing:
Spoiler section about HFS, cults, secrets ?
Sections for toys, tools, trapcomps, food, instruments, siegeammo...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 10:32:56 pm by Meph »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: August 08, 2012, 10:33:26 pm »

Search "copyright free illustrations" and make your own? There's a book for animals and one for plants. I have the 1419 illustration animal book, found in a thrift store.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6134 on: August 08, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »

Wow, that keyword really gives a ton of resutlts, but unfortunatly no 64pixel icons... I do make some myself, but mosly pixel pushing and recoloring of existing stuff. mirroring, blur tool and so on. I dont want to spend too much time on the icons to be honest, the content is more important for now.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 749