Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1837457 times)

ShadowLop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.3 - NEW POLL - Future of the Mod
« Reply #5640 on: July 13, 2012, 06:48:49 am »

Are rocktip bolts broken at the moment? I've setup my marksdwarves militia to use any kind of bolt, still they don't take the rocktip bolts from my ammo pile. (they do with wooden ones though)

They might have a missing tag maybe? Set them to use a set of rocktip bolts in addition to their normal bolt sets until they're fixed?
Hmm...a trade? Intriguing...No, wait, boring! PULL OFF HIS KNEECAPS!

somebears

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: July 13, 2012, 08:16:19 am »

I hope this has not been done yet..
I just wrote a small bash script for LINUX to enable/disable parts of the mod
It uses grep and sed.
WARNING: This may break your df installation. Make a backup of your ./raw folder!!!!!!!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Installation:
1. copy code
2. paste into empty file in your dwarf fortress folder (eg /home/user/df_linux_masterwork/dwarf-fortress/)
3. profit

available commands:
Code: [Select]
read          ----- lists mods and their status included in the list at the beginning of the script (might not be complete )
enable MODNAME
disable MODNAME

just pass them as an argument in the command line. (if the file is named dfmw.sh)eg
somebears@home ~/df $ sh dfmw.sh read
somebears@home ~/df $ sh dfmw.sh enable ELEPHANT

if you get stuff like
FF is disabled
FF is enabled
this means that parts of the mod are enabled, but other parts are off. using enable/disable will affect the entire script. That means that you cannot enable or disable parts of the script like it is done in the Windows GUI.

hope this helps some linux users

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5642 on: July 13, 2012, 09:38:08 am »

Interesting. Just out of curiosity, why did you not use Wine to run the GUI ? I think someone mentioned that this would work as well.  Then again I have neither Mac nor Linux so I cant judge.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: July 13, 2012, 09:46:00 am »

A wonderful little read of someones experience with Masterwork...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113161.0
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: July 13, 2012, 09:55:12 am »

From what I can tell, bodyparts actually don't work for blood. At least the ones you get from butchery - spleen's, eyes, etc. Only meat does. Mutilated body parts that haven't been butchered yet probably would work. That's fine though, food is already far too good of a source of money.

And the work-around that I use for not wasting my prepared food on blood is to give all the stuff I need in the kitchen from stockpiles. Come to think of it, it would be best to have another kitchen dedicated to blood production, so my normal one can operate better. Yes, you can tell I like using the temple reactions hehe.

I also have some suggestions about the wood industry. Right now, other then as a source of ash/charcoal from scrapwood, it's not very worthwhile.

The year-long wait time and high embark cost of steeloak seeds make it impractical for early armor. The fuel cost of refining will probably make it impractical for late-game ammo as well, although I'm not there yet to check. Polishing wood takes a whole barrel of oil (I'm guessing this isn't something that can be fixed) and fairwood has a value of just 5 - too low to make it interesting considering the effort. Fungiwoods are an decent source of good alcohol, but that's not terribly important. Netherbark, I'll have to see, don't have access to it yet.

What I'd like is for wood to be a good source for high-value furniture (too many of my forts end up with all gold living chambers heh). This can be done by adding more wood polishing (or more generic "treating") reactions to to timberyard, that would take all the different types of trees and make them into high value logs - I'd say starting from 25-30 value and going up to 80-100. Something to compete with the value of the all too common gold, while still being light - maybe make it so one of them looses density as a result of the reaction for nice-value light bins/barrels. The reactions could take multiple logs, or extra oil, and maybe some type of metal powder or even gems for some very high value treatments. Should probably be more then 100 though if you make it a big enough reaction.

If you want to make it more useful for practical purposes I'd also probably lower the time to grow to one or two seasons, and remove the fuel cost for refining the "metal" trees. By the time you can get alot of them, you'd probably have access to magma anyways, but they would still be a nice source for ammo like that. Although I wouldn't worry about that, I think it's fine for each industry to be best at one thing and you don't need to have everything be optimal for everything. It's impossible anyways.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: July 13, 2012, 11:20:26 am »

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you disable DF Hack from running with Df?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5646 on: July 13, 2012, 11:30:11 am »

Open df folder, find SDL.dll, delete it, find SDLreal.dll, rename it to SDL.dll. Done.

@ioi101: Everyone plays differently, I think slow, unlimited steel is overpowered as it is ;)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: July 13, 2012, 11:36:18 am »

I would love to actually see some reactions taken away from the timberyard. Its a really expensive building, and to run the wood industry effectively you need more than one. Maybe another workshop ("Woodpreparer" would be my idea, but i dont care how its called), which gets reactions like "remove bark", "refine wood" (was it that one?) and MAYBE the refine into Iron/Steel reaction. The reactions you need to kick the industry off would still be in the timberyard (basically all the cut farmed trees, but remove bark could also be here to make it a necessary building.)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: July 13, 2012, 11:56:35 am »

@ioi101
Interesting to read your perspective!... I agree that fairwood is quite hard to make and could be either easier or more valuable.  Nether is quite readily mass produced (if you dedicate a timberyard and a big farm to it).   I do like the look very much of nether- and crystal- furniture.

On the other hand I actually think the steeloak farms are way *too* powerful already:

1 bar steel from Steeloak:
Jobs:  (Plant, Harvest), Cut, Refine
Real Cost:  1 [fuel]
Extra Cost: 1 year time, space for big farm plot, seeds, maybe potash

1 bar Steel at smelter:
Jobs:  (Mine, Haul), Smelt, Refine, Pig Iron, Steel
Real Cost:   1.5 flux, 1.5 extra coal
Extra Cost: 2.75 [fuel], ore vein

"Extra" costs are those I think are negligible in a mature fort.  You'll have a magma smelter so that doesn't cost fuel. ... But I'd also argue that time and space for farms are almost free too, and you'll be swimming in seeds. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:58:49 am by smakemupagus »

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: July 13, 2012, 01:08:57 pm »

I think you're perfectly right, for a mature fort (although magma blast furnaces actually make steel easier then that). That's not really my focus though - unlike in vanilla, steel is not the best material in Masterwork, so for a mature fort I'd rather go for volcanic/cobaltite gear. The only thing steel would be good for at that point is ammo (and maybe for feeding into vulc items, don't know if that's possible?), and I do think I may go with steeloak farms for ammo. Haven't decided yet, I'm still only at my 2nd dwarf caravan and only now starting production of volcanic gear. But when it comes to setting up early defenses in the first year, steeloak is impossible because of the time to grow and the fact that you have to get it off caravans.

I agree my perspective on this may be different from most people, I'm more used to playing with fortress defense enabled and early steel (and generally having a huge focus on military) is critical for that. I also use reveal in dfhack so mining tends be alot easier then it would be for people doing exploratory mining.

My main point is really about the furniture though, and having this as a source of high-value, light, but time-consuming to produce materials. I think there's a lack of that sort of mat in vanilla DF and it would make sense for it to be filled this way. If other people find steeloak good enough as is, that's perfectly fine.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5650 on: July 13, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »

So what you really say is this:
You are a good player that goes for steel early.
Steeloak takes too long, by the time they grow you have welded cobaltite/mithril/volcanic materials.
Therefore your conclusion is: Steel from steeloak should be faster/better.

I come to a different conclusion: The high tech metals should be slower, and/or harder to obtain. If you easily get them within the 2nd/3rd year, something is going wrong.

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: July 13, 2012, 03:27:17 pm »

Weeeell, no. I don't think the mod should be balanced for how I or another powergamer would play it. DF is not starcraft, it's much more of a simulation game, and people like to play it in different ways. I'm sure I don't play it optimally either - there's certainly no point to making individual rooms full of golden furniture for all my dwarves, but I do it cause I like to have valuable furniture. It's more like civ, another game which is more about having multiple viable strategies, even if only very few are "optimal" and viable if you play it at the highest difficulty.

So my conclusion would be that you should leave steeloaks as is and ignore my opinion when it comes to something like that, I didn't realize it's widely used by others. My main point was really about the furniture, and there I think making the wood industry a source of mats as good as high value stones/gems, at the cost of more effort, would be useful to everyone.

If you do have an interest in making it harder though, I do have one major idea that I've been mulling over for a while. I want to play more before I try to put numbers on this, but the basic idea would be to make trading and in general industry alot more important by:

1) Put a top tier (or tiers) of materials (and maybe pets/constructs/other important mats) as tradegoods only sold in crates by the various races.
2) Make the price of the material when it's out of the crate much lower the the cost of the crate would be (so that you can't just order crates, make stuff with them, sell them back for far more then they cost in the first place, which makes trade trivial)
3) Set a balanced price on the crates, but then allow players to set a multiplier on it to make it harder/easier. I don't know if it's possible to do this for almost arbitrary numbers and have a script changing the raws, or if you could just do a bunch of different options. The idea here is that this would be like an overall setting on the difficulty of the game, but easy to understand/modify depending on how ppl want to play.

And it still allows you to make your own stuff, you're only buying the material, not the actual items, which is important to me at least heh.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5652 on: July 13, 2012, 03:39:32 pm »

I can easily do the valuable wood for furniture, but I actually thought people would use metals for high value furniture anyway.

The trade-good only thing will be difficult, but doable. I just have to make sure the races are not bringing anything made of it randomly. I think the dwarven homeciv would do so, regardless of what I do, because the reaction you as a player use is of course also used by the civ in worldgen. So you get "supermaterial-toys,tools, armor and weapons" from the dwarven caravans at random. Only way around that is the same thing I did with volcanic/bifrost, which is to write custom reaction for the items, and have neither ore nor bars anywhere.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: July 13, 2012, 03:40:28 pm »

1) Put a top tier (or tiers) of materials (and maybe pets/constructs/other important mats) as tradegoods only sold in crates by the various races.

wouldnt it be a good idea to have some metals only obtainable by taking it from the cold, dead (not reanmated) hands and bodys of your enemies? It would encourage actual fighting sieges instead of waiting them out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5654 on: July 13, 2012, 03:49:54 pm »

Thats what I am doing already, in several cases, and want to heavily improve on the idea. In the next version I would love to merge goblins and orcs into one, and heavily change the cavern races. Reduce it to 3 probably, and add one surface race for it... same amount of invaders...

3 Cavern races

- Spawn of the Holistic (deep) => hard, naturally armed/armored, transformes dwarves => Drop... (?)
 - Xen/Xelic (shallow) => medium, multi-armed, caste system => Drop Special Chitin(?) & Goblinite
 - Ratmen/Skaven => medium, warpstone weapons, mutations, some mages => Drop warpstone stuff

6(7) Evil races

- (Kobolds of course) => very easy, thieves => Drop bags of loot

- Greenskins (Standard) => easy, Goblins, Orcs, Trolls => Drop Goblinite
 - Terracotta Army (Plains) => easy, naturally armed/armored, golems, chariots => Drop Scrolls of Life
 - Anubites (Desert) => medium, Anubites, egyptian Gods, fight with magic => Drop Sand & goblinite(?)
 - Living Land (Forest) => medium, Druids, Satyrs, Nymphs, Treants, walking plants => Drop wood/seeds
 - Frost Giants (Tundra/Glacier) => hard, giants, icewolves, frost wyverns => Drop bifrost & goblinite
 - Automatons (everywhere) => hard, steampunk spiders, automatons, moving turrets(?) => Drop clockwork parts
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 749