Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1833805 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - V.0.9 - MAJOR UPDATE
« Reply #510 on: January 24, 2012, 05:12:06 pm »

@Deon: I have a biofuel thingy in the kitchen, oil and booze. But I think that there is more then enough fuel in the game already. But dry bricketts are a biofuel you could have a look at.

@zach: Ups, shouldnt happen. Their only biome is underground_chasm and they have a frequency of 0. To be extra sure I just added    [NO_WINTER][NO_AUTUMN][NO_SUMMER][NO_SPRING] to all of them.

@tiresais: You can turn turrets on and off as you like now. I did not know that warpstone is so weak, it should be quite deadly, with full body necrosis. Maybe bees are immune to poison, since they have a poison themself, and dont fall under the [Affected_class:general_poison].

@hanspeter: Remove the plant_grasses.txt, then you have the same cavern floor as the last version. I wanted to look at it anyway.

@sayke: Yeah, feedback :)

1. Fossils are alpha, I noted that in the manual as well. Turn them off, if you dont like them. They are pasrt of the archeogical system for the next version.

2. No, they should not. I will have a look with dfreaval. Sometimes things go wrong with tiles, since I have so many subfolders for different graphic packs.

3. This is weird, yes. What settings did you use, Vanilla Minerals, or Simple Minerals ?

4. The steel upgrade works like this: You have normal steel. no change. BUT you have the option to upgrade it ONCE, to any of the four mentioned types. You dont like it, dont use it, or turn the setting for Refinery to OFF. Generally I wanted people to have more varied armor, for different situations. Light steel for faster squads, fireproof for demon /dragon fighting, heavier for slower, but stronger, battle for better protected squads, your choice. I am surprised that several people mentioned that this system seems weird to them. But yeah, you can simply turn it off, by removing Refineries. See the manual ;) (editnote: all this only works with temperatur on. Otherwise you will get cave fungus blocks, which would be weird, bit still has the same properties as microcline)

5. For sand, go the the inorganic_stone_soil.txt and change the color for sand. :)

6. Cave fungus is effectivly mircocline, just with a different name. Is mentioned in the manual as well. It is simply changed so that it leaves no rock, but only liquid. The reason for that is that I wanted to reduce clutter. Most people dislike mircocline for its bright blue, so I chose this one. It is slightly harder to mine working stone now, but easier to dig out big areas for your fortress, without generating clutter. Same goes for living stone. And 6 types of weaker stone, like rocksalt or sandstone, they just turn into dust. All to help the FPS. This setting is one of the few things you CANT change, since it is a core element of the mod, to help FPS.

7. Again, it should look like phoebus. If it doesnt, I will fix it, as soon as I know what tiles ^^ Tilesets are somehow hard work for me, I am not looking forward to the work I have when I add ironhand and mayday... except someone knows a good solution for that. ;)

@ALL: Just a note to everyone:
If you have a question, look in the manual. It explains virtually everything i put into that mod. It took quite a while to write it, but I hope it is still ok to read. I tried to keep it clear as possible :)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:21:50 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 24, 2012, 05:23:19 pm »

Strange. I dug out quite a decent fortress, and so far, haven't found... stone. I mean there's gypsum, sanstone, and other silly things like that, but I just dug through 10 Z-levels without a single piece. It's interesting to build without any mechanisms, wooden furnitue etc, but in a 'conventional' fort, so not above ground. Still, this might be an issue. I used vanilla minerals, and the evil one of your worldgens, without aquifers.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Mazzacari

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 24, 2012, 05:31:42 pm »

In the beginning, Meph created this mod, and I thought it was good...... alright enough of that  :P
anyway, I thought this mod was awesome and could be alot of fun to play and I did use it for awhile; however, now it's turned from a mod to enhance and simplify DF into a mod that is quite large -though still awesome- and a bit cumbersome. I'm not complaining, I'm just curious as to how far this will go.
But I still think this is an awesome mod and can't wait to see what happens  :D
Also, you're releasing soooo fast! It seems that I get a fortress started and then the next update is out. Will you slow down once you hit 1.0.0, or do you plan to keep this speed up?

All that said, keep up the great work. I'm rooting for you!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #513 on: January 24, 2012, 05:36:30 pm »

@mazzacari: Thanks a lot :) I believe that most things I can do I will have done when V1 is released. From then on, it will be slower, balancing, patches, that kind of stuff, not many new features. I except quite a bit of the next DF version, so there might be a lot of things we modders can do then. That might lead to new content ;) But as always: Everything is optional, if you want a smaller mod, just turn half of the settings off. Thats why I made the settings.exe in the first place ;)

I also think that a DF Lite Mod would be of interest to a lot of people. Vanilla, DF, with the bugfixes and the simple materials and standarized tissues. No new features, but easily 25% more FPS. (I guess even more, since Vanilla has way less items then this mod now does, and you can play it with temp:off.)

@ishar:Well, I dont know how much you explored yet, but stone should be harder to find. Not really hard, but with 8 former stones that are now useless, you might want to dig mineshafts just to find a good quarry with non-economic stones. OR use the gypsum to build stuff.

I will make a change to the buildings, just wanted to let you guys know:
Genesis Altar of war and natur will be removed
Chessboard, gaming table, rockball court, gateball field, theater,  alchemical workshop, training crutch, weight set... maybe: training dummy, swimming pool, obstacle course, anatomical theater...

All these will be added to other buildings, or into a new library system, using a slightly changed version of mechanixs upgrade for genesis. The library would have different buildings, Library section: Medical, Library Section: Warfare, and so on...  makes it easier to find and understand what everything does.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 24, 2012, 06:50:45 pm »

Hi, I love this mod it's awesome (except baboons whic are horrible little things) but I have one question: where do I find and how do I build a metal caster?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #515 on: January 24, 2012, 06:54:42 pm »

Metal caster builds javeline ammo. to be found under: Build:Furnace (b-e) :) You need no special items, but an architect and someone you can make weapons. Just note that this building will be removed, if you play with the "Ranged Weapons" OFF, since without javelines you need no javeline ammo ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:58:48 pm by Meph »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 24, 2012, 07:14:07 pm »

ah, thank you very much. This is really helpful because I have a lot of galena right now, silver javelins will help fend off invaders

EDIT: what does it use for fuel? charcoal?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:18:32 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 24, 2012, 08:37:50 pm »

you know, i like this mod a whole lot simply because its adjustable. very adjustable.

also, immigrants bringing turrets as pets slightly devalues turrets don't you think? i don't think theres a way to make a [PET] impossible for immigrants to bring though...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #518 on: January 24, 2012, 09:56:05 pm »

Fuel is fuel, no matter if it is lignite, bitoumious, anthrazite, peat, biofuel or wooden fuel... or magma ;)

Migrants currently might bring golems, decoys, landmines or turrets. I found now way of turning it of, without removing the constructs from embark as well. Maybe next DF version.

btw, I started a community fort for this mod, just as a form a playtesting. Called the Wall.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99586.0
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:07:39 pm by Meph »

Teh Zip File

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 24, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

My embark wagon is made of unknown frozen plant substance. Is that normal? I have all the simple material settings on.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 24, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »

6. Cave fungus is effectivly mircocline, just with a different name. Is mentioned in the manual as well. It is simply changed so that it leaves no rock, but only liquid. The reason for that is that I wanted to reduce clutter. Most people dislike mircocline for its bright blue, so I chose this one. It is slightly harder to mine working stone now, but easier to dig out big areas for your fortress, without generating clutter. Same goes for living stone. And 6 types of weaker stone, like rocksalt or sandstone, they just turn into dust. All to help the FPS. This setting is one of the few things you CANT change, since it is a core element of the mod, to help FPS.

Just a bit of feedback:  Gave this mod another quick shot, and have to say I hate this change.  A lot.  For one thing I like building with microcline for the color;  for the other, I'm not sure if it's cave fungus or what, but one of the replacement blocks leaves a puddle behind that generates a spam of cleaning jobs.  Its a pain, and I doubt it's good for FPS. Also, saying that its not changable because of FPS, while pretty much everything else that affects FPS is, seems a bit arbitrary, heh.

Otherwise, having fun.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 11:10:39 pm by nukularpower »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #521 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:00 pm »

@nukularpower: Ok, is noted :) Although I never got a jobspam, they just go there and clean it. And "no clothes" and "standarized creature materials" are also non-optional. Do you have an alternative to decrease stone clutter ? I hate it when you have 10.000 stones lying around in the end, and mircocline seemed like the natural choice.

The difficulty in making it optional is, that it alters a existing stone, instead of adding a new one. I can work around that, but it's just twice the work. ;)

@teh zip file: Of course it is normal. An absolutely indented feature, these fancy wagons... (thanks for the bugfind)

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 24, 2012, 11:52:07 pm »

No ideas atm, will see if I can think of some.  Personally I just use DFhack's autodump destroy to get rid of all that stone, but I see where you're coming from.

Unforuntately, have a problem... I started another Masterwork fort with the new version to test.  Not sure if you remember but I posted a while ago about the gremlin/crash thing I was having at the time.  Well.. even in this new fort, I'm having a similar crash.  It seems like I always get it once I get past a certain point with this mod. 

If I upload the save, can someone else try it?  It crashes on me 100% of the time about 15 seconds after loading, but I would like to see if its just me somehow or what.

The only connection between the 3 forts I've had this happen with Masterwork that I can think of is that they were all reclaimed.  Sucks cuz I was really having fun with this one, though my original embark got slaughtered pretty bad  ^ ^

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #523 on: January 25, 2012, 12:35:32 am »

This is bad news, I hate crashes. It is always hard to figure out what causes them. Send me the save, and I have a look. I personally only tested reclaiming once, so not much experience, sry.

My testfort is 3 months old now, following issues i did find (nothing serious though)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ArPharazon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: January 25, 2012, 01:31:26 am »

Hey Meph, just wanted to say the new version looks a lot better, and the manual is great now. Good job!
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 749