Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838322 times)

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.2 - for 34.10 LINUX UPDATE
« Reply #4950 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:43 am »

Yeah, I like to build a corral around my staircase in the caverns layers ASAP, often just a forbidden door and a couple weapon traps will keep most of the early cave invaders at bay. Still, all it takes is a troll or something to kick the door open and it's Fun time!

I once even have a cave passageway that lead down to the 2nd cavern level so I pastured some war dragons in the cave to intercept anything coming up from below. Never actually encountered Batmen, maybe they're a lower level race?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: June 11, 2012, 11:25:37 am »

Never seen batmen either, but have always 'worried' about them because I assume they can fly.

My style is to take caverns one section at a time.  I'll breach a section, run the military around to clear it of wandering animals or potential ambushes, and then have my masons wall off sections while my diggers remove as much of the slopes leading into it, so each section becomes well isolated from ground-based invaders.  Once that's complete I'll try to take a new section, so I end up with a bunch of linked segments that have limited and controlled access to each other, with traps and defenses at each narrow connection point.  That gives me plenty of space to farm and chop down trees safely.

That's also why fliers throw a wrench in the works, because I practically have to make each section airtight, and that takes a lot of bricks and time (and its realllly easy to miss a diagonal somewhere where they can get in, and there's no way to test fly-pathing ahead of time...)  So I'm always wondering when the batmen are going to show up!
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

PenguinCakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: June 11, 2012, 11:28:28 am »

Started playing this mod a few days ago, it's really fun so far.

Question:  How do you make a golem forge?  I can't find the designation for it under Furnaces or Workshops anywhere.

The_Final_Stand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:17 am »

You need to have found magma, and it requires magma to build.

You also need a Golem Heart to build one. In theory.

PenguinCakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:02 am »

Thanks for the answer.

Also, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but when I was using a Stonecutter's Workshop, I found that I couldn't make stone bins unless the stockpile for my blocks was on the same z-level.  It might be a distance issue, although I'm not entirely sure.

SAFry

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Seb
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:43 am »

@Werdna that's the way to do it, there comes a time when I sit down and spend 45 minutes figuring out how I can wall off and remove the slopes to cut off all the boundaries whilst leaving myself as much floorspace as possible. Like cutting a gem! But yeah, like you say, they could fly over the walls. I considered building walls on the walls up to the ceiling but I've never really got around to it.

Started playing this mod a few days ago, it's really fun so far.

Question:  How do you make a golem forge?  I can't find the designation for it under Furnaces or Workshops anywhere.

You need magma I think (not sure because I ALWAYS have magma mwhahahaa), then you have to buy a golem heart from a caravan. It's a little buggy still, try a copper one and see if it works before using all your good stuff up.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: June 11, 2012, 11:53:38 am »

Also, I don't know if this is intentional or not, but when I was using a Stonecutter's Workshop, I found that I couldn't make stone bins unless the stockpile for my blocks was on the same z-level.  It might be a distance issue, although I'm not entirely sure.

Check your burrows.  For some reason, many of the new reactions only seem to become available if the workshop and the materials reside in the same burrow.

You can get around this by extending the burrow, or issuing the reaction as a job from the job manager screen; for some reason this method does not run into the problem.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

PenguinCakes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: June 11, 2012, 12:10:54 pm »

Check your burrows.  For some reason, many of the new reactions only seem to become available if the workshop and the materials reside in the same burrow.

You can get around this by extending the burrow, or issuing the reaction as a job from the job manager screen; for some reason this method does not run into the problem.

Yep, that took care of the problem for me.  Thanks for the speedy answer.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4958 on: June 11, 2012, 05:09:27 pm »

Just a note about the cavern races: All races appear on all depths, there is no way to affect this, unfortunately.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: June 11, 2012, 05:20:56 pm »

Never seen batmen either, but have always 'worried' about them because I assume they can fly.

My style is to take caverns one section at a time.  I'll breach a section, run the military around to clear it of wandering animals or potential ambushes, and then have my masons wall off sections while my diggers remove as much of the slopes leading into it, so each section becomes well isolated from ground-based invaders.  Once that's complete I'll try to take a new section, so I end up with a bunch of linked segments that have limited and controlled access to each other, with traps and defenses at each narrow connection point.  That gives me plenty of space to farm and chop down trees safely.

That's also why fliers throw a wrench in the works, because I practically have to make each section airtight, and that takes a lot of bricks and time (and its realllly easy to miss a diagonal somewhere where they can get in, and there's no way to test fly-pathing ahead of time...)  So I'm always wondering when the batmen are going to show up!

Flightpath no. Pathing yes. I leave ramps and start work on limited walls. If anyone can get to trees or shrubs "outside" the wall, it is not airtight. Once that is figured out just go straight up to the cavern ceiling.

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: June 11, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »

Meph, or anyone.

Is there a way to designate undead / corpse / corpse parts in the animal stockpile?  I keep catching these things in my traps and cannot figure out how to pit a bunch of Corpse creatures. 

Alternatively and preferably I think, is there a way to turn all the corpse stuff off?  Not vampires, ghouls or whatever, just all the corpse stuff.  I am just tired of my dwarves getting attacked by random ankle bones and the like. 

Urist McAddict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4961 on: June 11, 2012, 05:59:58 pm »

Meph, or anyone.

Is there a way to designate undead / corpse / corpse parts in the animal stockpile?  I keep catching these things in my traps and cannot figure out how to pit a bunch of Corpse creatures. 

Alternatively and preferably I think, is there a way to turn all the corpse stuff off?  Not vampires, ghouls or whatever, just all the corpse stuff.  I am just tired of my dwarves getting attacked by random ankle bones and the like.

Mate, check the Misc Features and turn on the "NO CORPSE" so anything killed will leave no bodies, no bodies means no undeadies =P

BTW, i hate the autonaughties... They pack too heavy a punch, i have to shoot them a hundred times before a kill. And the damn beasts show up all the time... Whatever, i'll shoot them until i have no ammo left =P

OH! Also i have a deity in my pretty little mountainhome.
Githa, Deity A man sized creature of great power. Its hair is long and matted. Its eyes glow softly in the dark. Beware of its long fangs. You will know why you fear the night!

It is gigantic and muscular. Its left eye is gone
AWESOME!

Cyas

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: June 11, 2012, 06:54:00 pm »

But I like butchering them  ;)  Tiger Man meat is a delicacy don't you know.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: June 12, 2012, 02:55:11 am »

some little bugs in 1.9.2

Transmutation chamber "Work Armok's Metal" is always available and takes any gem -- perhaps related to I play with !NOWARP! flag set?
*edit* Same situation for prepare "Warpstone" at the Chemist

[REACTION:SLEEP_SET2_WOOD] has reagent name "A" but product material name "B"
[REAGENT:A:7:WOOD:NO_SUBTYPE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BED:NO_SUBTYPE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:B:NONE]

oh, and there are wild war beasts, i don't know whether you consider this a bug; wild plaguebearers are too much for me though :)  maybe warbeasts off from now on ...

Hope your US tour is going well!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 12:19:50 pm by smakemupagus »

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: June 12, 2012, 03:37:18 am »

I'm not sure if this is a MW-Issue, but on my current embark I disabled less soil for the first time. While the red sand in my desert works just fine, the fire clay does not count as a valid clay collection zone, which it should, according to the official wiki. Is there some kind of tag missing?
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 749