Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1838589 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.9.1 - for 34.09 :)
« Reply #4455 on: May 21, 2012, 05:44:32 pm »

@ fasquardon and Panopticon

The absolute best thing about Masterwork is that you can turn things off or on to suit your needs / desires / playstyle / whatever.  You do not like some of the enemies, turn them off.  Same for the buildings and magic.  You do not have to play it with every option selected.  In fact, for enemies it is recommended that you only play with a few of them. 

I know for some stuff it is impossible to turn it on or off.  I am not sure if the different iron and steel sources are included in that but if they are you still have the choice of whether or not to use them.

The demon bone idea is very cool.  I have never actually managed to kill a demon...usually once I break open a candy tube it is more like an upwards flow of death and fun.

I also like the idea of having some of the high end buildings require electricity.  In the years I have been playing DF I have not once set up electricity.  This would definitely give me a reason.

A use for toys would be good also.  Not sure why they are in the game at all as they really serve no purpose othere than give something else to sell to the vendors.  Wait, didn't Meph make some toys components of other things?

This pretty much sums it up.  Most, if not all the features you commented on disliking in your game can be turned off.  Also again, most, if not all, we're voted into the mod.  I personally like the magic and flavor (as I don't necessarily ascribe purely to the Gygaxian Dorfen stereotype).

One thing I loved in concept but eventually had to make myself turn off was the caste system though.  I suffer a bit from OCD when gaming,and found myself having to not only generate a perfect embark in my world, but also stats wise on my dwarves, instead of actually getting any real playtime in.  Even though I'm still tempted to turn it on and get that "perfect game" I know logically I'm never going to be happy with it turned on as there'll always be room for improvement.  I wouldn't ask for the removal of castes though because of my own hangups.  One just needs to excersize a modicum of discipline and turn off features that hinder our enjoyment.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4456 on: May 21, 2012, 05:54:17 pm »

Screw Gygax.  He took from the wrong source material anyways.  All of his stuff was taken from the Vance's books, which were derived over time from where all Dwarven lore SHOULD have come from, Tolkien.  And in Tolkien's conception, although magic does exist, it's not at all like what we've been force fed through Dungeons and Dragons and other such "fantasy" outlets.

Magic in the Tolkien sense is something altogether more special.  It's strange creatures from the time before man.  It's a glowing, abiding light in the darkness.  It's a presence that watches from behind the veil.  And most of all, it is NOT Fireballs and Dimension Doors and Power Word: Death.

Think about Gandalf.  Think about the magical power he displayed.  Actual gross obvious magical power.  Stumped?  You should be.  All of his stuff was attributable to skill and knowledge, besides small tricks such as a glowing wand or blowing incredibly intricate smoke-rings.  Oh, and that kicking a Demon's ass thing happened too, but like I said... skill...
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4457 on: May 21, 2012, 06:02:39 pm »

Found a bug with Wicker my little dudes are making large bladeweed cabochon when bundling.

edit: Also, "make 10 stacks of soap" doesn't work it produces tallow which for some reason isn't stockpiled. I managed to fix it by changing the lye requirements from 750 to the 150 that the generic reaction uses. The fish from the fish farm can't be cleaned and never rot.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:18:01 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Gatallorsith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4458 on: May 21, 2012, 06:07:54 pm »

I am playing with the thought of making all toys into one, called: Toy. This is an exceptional iron toy. Done.

You have my vote axe
I will consider more realisms and a complete overhaul/refining of the mod, just prepping a big post about it. Be patient.
I love you.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4459 on: May 21, 2012, 06:10:55 pm »

Screw Gygax.  He took from the wrong source material anyways.  All of his stuff was taken from the Vance's books, which were derived over time from where all Dwarven lore SHOULD have come from, Tolkien.  And in Tolkien's conception, although magic does exist, it's not at all like what we've been force fed through Dungeons and Dragons and other such "fantasy" outlets.

Magic in the Tolkien sense is something altogether more special.  It's strange creatures from the time before man.  It's a glowing, abiding light in the darkness.  It's a presence that watches from behind the veil.  And most of all, it is NOT Fireballs and Dimension Doors and Power Word: Death.

Think about Gandalf.  Think about the magical power he displayed.  Actual gross obvious magical power.  Stumped?  You should be.  All of his stuff was attributable to skill and knowledge, besides small tricks such as a glowing wand or blowing incredibly intricate smoke-rings.  Oh, and that kicking a Demon's ass thing happened too, but like I said... skill...

*Chuckles* honestly when it comes to Magic and Middle Earth I think even Tolkein himself wasn't quite sure where he stood on the matter.  Like you said, you have Gandalf, who was a Maiar (which were like Angels/Demigods) who exhibited next to no magical abilities beyond some fluff....but then you have weapons like Orcrist and Sting which glowed bright frickin' colors when in the presence of their hated enemies which were found in the middle of the Trollshaws.  Then you have The Witch-King of Angmar, who was one of the greatest Sorcerer's of Man before his corruption.  And to top it off (And for this one it must be pointed out what Tolkein ultimately is, literally a Grandmaster of Language) before realizing Sauron was Sauron come back, he was the Necromancer at Dol Guldur(Hill of Sorcery in Sindarin) in Mirkwood.  It is important to point out that the wasn't capitalized for the title "the Necromancer", if it were it would reflect an exclusive title, but as is more so indicates a job title.  Like the Butcher, or the Tailor, the job's themselves are capitalized because they become proper nouns when refering to a specific person, but definately doesn't denote they are the ONLY ones.  Then the word Necromancer itself, which breaks down to user of death magic.  And this guy was just thought at the time by all the major players in the story to just be a minor nuisance.

So, who knows what the actual levels of magic were in Middle Earth?  We're given really only a very minor window into that world in a very limited time period, with instances that indicate it could have gone either way ;)

marc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4460 on: May 21, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »

hi  :) ¿what can i do whit this two dwarfs? one is  paintyng blood pentagram  arround my fortress and the sencond  is studying the refuse pile .... ¿i just should end her poor lifes ?<.<

YuriRuler90

• Bay Watcher
  • We will bury you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4461 on: May 21, 2012, 07:20:23 pm »

Nope. You should make them lots of shiny gold things as tribute, and then accept them as your gods and saviors!

Blood for the Blood God!
Skulls for the Skull Throne!

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4462 on: May 21, 2012, 07:26:21 pm »

I would imagine the triple named golem to have a hammer for a head, and swords for both his arms... That would be so cool.

lolrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4463 on: May 21, 2012, 07:35:57 pm »

I can't get any thread or cloth for my Hospital because after its Spun, when a dwarf comes to pick it up it magically turns into clothing. I've even had sheep wool yarn turn into chitinplate shirts and stuff like that...

Is this a bug or am I just being dumb with something?

SeigeOps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4464 on: May 21, 2012, 07:42:38 pm »

hi  :) ¿what can i do whit this two dwarfs? one is  painting blood pentagrams around my fortress and the second  is studying the refuse pile .... ¿i just should end her poor lifes ?<.<

For some constructive advice:
Both of them are 'secret' dwarves. The pentagram dwarf has the ability to transform into a blood beast (a Bad ThingTM).
Order a ward against possession from your dwarven caravan and hope it gets to you in time before he transforms. (I'm not too sure on the specifics of the exorcism, you'll have to ask Meph for that.)
In the meantime I suggest you physically isolate him in a hole or something (caution, building destroyer, a door won't be sufficient) so if he does transform, it'll minimize damage.

The other dwarf is, I believe a necromancer. End his life or contain him quickly as he will raise all you dead.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4465 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:10 pm »

I am having difficulty finding how to order a ward from my caravan. I cant find it in any of the "goods" the liaison is asking if I want. Is it possible for a civilization not to be able to construct wards?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

fasquardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4466 on: May 21, 2012, 07:56:23 pm »

*I didn't know that workshops could not be connected to power.  Perhaps the way to represent electricity would be to have any "electrical" workshop require generator parts (so blueprints, high quality steel alloys, turbine blades, ballbearings, copper wire, magnets, pipes, pitch or leather for insulators) and consume either water and fuel, or need magma, and consume water, plus all the bits and bobs to represent the "smelter" end of the workshop. 

Alternatively, most of the things you can make with electrical smelting can be made with thermal/chemical smelting too, just needs different processes.

*With regards to magic, I am aware that most of the magical options can be turned off, but many of them can't (and I am meaning "magic" in quite a wide sense - many materials and "special" reactions come under this heading for me).

fasquardon

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4467 on: May 21, 2012, 08:13:48 pm »

FUTURE OF THE MOD

Ok, this will be a longer post, but please stay with me for a bit.
I will not be aviable much the next 3,5 months. (from 21.05 till 10.09) Neither will I activly advance the mod further. That means no new features, maybe some bugfixes, maybe updates to new Df Versions, but I cant and wont promise anything. I am, as always, travelling. The next destination for me is the USA, where I will bicycle the route66, from LA to NY. Since I will be very busy at that part of the trip, and wont just stay in a hostel to code for you guys (Hostels in the States are a tiny bit more expensive then the ones in Latinamerica) and I am not travelling along anymore, but with a girl I met in Belize, and I wont make her wait on me, because I might be  sitting in front of my netbook. Sorry, RL takes precedence here.

My route, for those who care:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What does that mean for the mod ?

Zenerbufen was kind enough to offer his assistance. Anyone who followed the modding scene here a bit will know what Deon and Tomitaipo have been doing, so this will be similar. In the time of my inactivity, Zenerbufen will officially tend to the mod. I will be online now and then, read the thread, note down criticism and feedback, bugs and balancing issues. Please still keep posting this, it helps me greatly in refining everything. But the biggest part will be done by him. He is already working on the GUI for linux and mac, coding the linux and mac versions, and plans to make the manual a html. file, incorporating all the graphical guides I made.

How will the mod be continued after that time ?

I will be in Germany (surprise) for the autumn/winter. Mostly to get new sponsorship, set up a better website, take a break and plan the next year of travelling. I will also have access to a real computer, fast internet and as much time as I want. My plans for the mod are simple: I want to restart. Inspired by deon, I would like to do the mod from the start, with a GUI that (hopefully) truly reverts back to Vanilla if everything is off. Without bugs, with proper testing, with more research about realisms and balancing. I will keep what you like, alter what is not as well recieved, and remove what is bad. The main reason for this is: This is my first mod.  When I started writing it, I had no clue what I was doing. Many things are relicts, artefacts of the many changes and dont serve a purpose, and there is the issue that some people have crashes. I really dislike that fact, and will do my best to solve this. Zenerbufen will have something to say about this as well I guess. People voted for Clean Up, and voiced the opinion that the mod would mostly benefit from refining, making the features it currently has better. The easiest way I see for this, is the Restart. If I really manage to write a GUI that reverts back to Vanilla DF, then that would mean that the FPS- DwarfFortress would be included in this. I know some people really liked the idea.

So, there you go. I will be aviable for comments till tomorrow at noon, then depart in a 48h bus ride to Tijuana. Yeah. ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:24:22 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4468 on: May 21, 2012, 08:17:12 pm »

Good luck with your life Meph, and good luck with your lady friend!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4469 on: May 21, 2012, 08:54:24 pm »

I noticed he skipped Mexico.  Prolly a smart choice, but a shame.  I was just there for 17 days.  There's some real sweet spots... but him having seen the world the way he has... I guess it ain't no thing to miss a tiny spot like Mexico, but Mexico is prime real estate if it weren't for the violence...
Pages: 1 ... 296 297 [298] 299 300 ... 749