Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836915 times)

Sirmaril

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm from Poland, so sorry for my bad english.
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 NEW: Updated MAC Version
« Reply #3570 on: April 18, 2012, 12:14:31 pm »

How do I use silk worms? And waht are golden geese for?

You need to somehow put them into hive ( I don't know how, never tried it), and then once or twice a year you can get silk from hives using your beekeeper.

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »

I have no problem with civilian dwarves walking around in socks... atm im more interested in playability than total "cloth-realism" ^^
Well since I still have my 1.71 Fort running... I dont have socks activated, which would mean I have to start a new world for adding a new reaction (socks)?! Would it not also be possible for me to set it up so the civilian dwarves wear 2x2 shoes? So I could let my military wear shoes + boots, right?

Open up the item_shoes raw and edit the LAYER_SIZE of shoes to half that of the LAYER_PERMIT (see below for explanations). You'll also want to (re)add in shoes in the entity_standard raw as well so dwarves will be able to start with them and make them.

Another thing is... what is it that lets a piece of armor/cloth count as "CLOTHING" so your dwarves dont get upset? Is it Hard/Soft or the Armorlevel... I tend to the last, but with all this info im confused atm ^^ This Dwarf raw thing is pretty new for me, when it comes to clothes.

ARMORLEVEL:0 means the item is clothing and thus is subject to happy thoughts and wear. Armor defaults to this if there is no ARMORLEVEL tag, so if a piece of armor doesn't have this tag, it means it's clothing.
SOFT and HARD simply means what materials it can be made from. HARD means it can only be made from whatever you set the following tags to (IE: METAL, LEATHER, etc). SOFT means it can be made from not only the following material tags, but also from yarn, plants, or silk.
STRUCTURAL_ELASTICITY_WOVEN_THREAD, I think means how it acts when damaged. IE: This tag means your armor will rip and tear under light duress, just like clothing. There's virtually no !!SCIENCE!! on this currently available from what I can see.

It has [LAYER_SIZE:20] and [LAYER_PERMIT:100] does that mean my dwarves CAN wear 5 robes?

Yep. That's the beauty of layering. The only exceptions are when the LAYER_SIZE is larger than the LAYER_PERMIT, or when the item has the SHAPED tag. SHAPED means that you can only wear one piece of armor in that body slot that has SHAPED (but other armor pieces are just fine, provided you have sufficient points left in LAYER_SIZE). Having a LAYER_SIZE larger than the LAYER_PERMIT means that only that item is allowed on that body part, and nothing else.

Some really useful info to read about layering:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor#Size.2C_Permit.2C_and_layering_armor

Lamorak84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: April 18, 2012, 01:03:32 pm »

It has [LAYER_SIZE:20] and [LAYER_PERMIT:100] does that mean my dwarves CAN wear 5 robes?

Yep. That's the beauty of layering. The only exceptions are when the LAYER_SIZE is larger than the LAYER_PERMIT, or when the item has the SHAPED tag. SHAPED means that you can only wear one piece of armor in that body slot that has SHAPED (but other armor pieces are just fine, provided you have sufficient points left in LAYER_SIZE). Having a LAYER_SIZE larger than the LAYER_PERMIT means that only that item is allowed on that body part, and nothing else.

Some really useful info to read about layering:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Armor#Size.2C_Permit.2C_and_layering_armor

Yeah, the link I did read when I did wait for an answer ^^ It did help me a lot to understand theclothing/armor in Theory.
I also made a small Excel List with some data to be able to easier compare all shoes for example.

You said "Having a LAYER_SIZE larger than the LAYER_PERMIT means that only that item is allowed on that body part, and nothing else." But as of my list (1.71MW van data) it would be like... you could JUST wear socks OR shoes OR boots OR xxx OR xxx2 OR xxx3... so... maybe this is the fault. Or is it like the Layer_Size and Layer_Permit count separate for Under/Armor/Over/Cover? So they would be able to wear Socks AND Shoes AND Mail Boots but they then cant wear Plate Boots since they have the Layer "Over" same as shoes. So basically If I would like to wear Plate Boots in my Military I would have to do it like:

Socks [Under]
Mail Boots [Armor] [SHAPED]
Plate Boots [Over]

And now comes the tricky part... DO socks help against the bad thought from wearing no clothing on the feet? I think YES... so I should be allright with my 1.71 config when It comes to Feet? ^^
Padded Armor is still another thing for me I have to figure out ;-D I did first want to figure out the feet, because they seem to me the easiest.

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: April 18, 2012, 01:11:41 pm »

Yeah, the link I did read when I did wait for an answer ^^ It did help me a lot to understand theclothing/armor in Theory.
I also made a small Excel List with some data to be able to easier compare all shoes for example.

You said "Having a LAYER_SIZE larger than the LAYER_PERMIT means that only that item is allowed on that body part, and nothing else." But as of my list (1.71MW van data) it would be like... you could JUST wear socks OR shoes OR boots OR xxx OR xxx2 OR xxx3... so... maybe this is the fault. Or is it like the Layer_Size and Layer_Permit count separate for Under/Armor/Over/Cover? So they would be able to wear Socks AND Shoes AND Mail Boots but they then cant wear Plate Boots since they have the Layer "Over" same as shoes. So basically If I would like to wear Plate Boots in my Military I would have to do it like:

Socks [Under]
Mail Boots [Armor] [SHAPED]
Plate Boots [Over]

And now comes the tricky part... DO socks help against the bad thought from wearing no clothing on the feet? I think YES... so I should be allright with my 1.71 config when It comes to Feet? ^^
Padded Armor is still another thing for me I have to figure out ;-D I did first want to figure out the feet, because they seem to me the easiest.

*facepalm* I knew I forgot something!
Yes, you can wear socks (under), mail boots (armor), and plate boots (over) together as each layer has its own limit (based on the lowest LAYER_PERMIT in each layer). Exception is the cover layer since the total number of all layers count against the cover limit.

And yes, socks do, indeed, help against bad thoughts. Padded armor has ARMORLEVEL:1 so it's considered armor, not clothing. It wont help you against bad thoughts, but it will help you against a sudden case of death.

Lamorak84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: April 18, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »

I am making a new Reply, since its for a total different topic than Armor/Clothing and I dont want to mix all that... its already complicated enough ^^

So the question is...

Well as I did read here somewhere, If I would morph a Military Dwarf (which holds a weapon) to a golem, he still got this weapon as golem. So If I would have a totally UBER Gundwarf with a rifle of UBERNESS and I morph this dwarf to be a golem... he still got the rifle in hands... question is, when he is shooting with it and his ammo is gone, can the golem get new ammo as any other dwarf could?

Just asking, cause... If all that is true, I found a way for pretty bad-ass Killer-Turrets that dont get destroyed if they get some hits... like... FRONT-Towers :-D

Another thing is... do Golems still have skill gain and attribute gain or is it gone the moment they turn to golem?

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: April 18, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »

I am making a new Reply, since its for a total different topic than Armor/Clothing and I dont want to mix all that... its already complicated enough ^^

So the question is...

Well as I did read here somewhere, If I would morph a Military Dwarf (which holds a weapon) to a golem, he still got this weapon as golem. So If I would have a totally UBER Gundwarf with a rifle of UBERNESS and I morph this dwarf to be a golem... he still got the rifle in hands... question is, when he is shooting with it and his ammo is gone, can the golem get new ammo as any other dwarf could?

Just asking, cause... If all that is true, I found a way for pretty bad-ass Killer-Turrets that dont get destroyed if they get some hits... like... FRONT-Towers :-D

Another thing is... do Golems still have skill gain and attribute gain or is it gone the moment they turn to golem?

I've never really played around with firearms before. I've always been too busy in a mad rush to equip my army however I can before the next caravan (and thus the next siege) arrives. But the simple answer is, if the firearm requires a quiver, then no. All items, except for what it holds in its hands, are dropped to the ground upon transformation. Quivers included.

Also, golems have the INTELLIGENT flag, meaning they still retain skill gain.

Lamorak84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04:07 pm »

So the question is...

I've never really played around with firearms before. I've always been too busy in a mad rush to equip my army however I can before the next caravan (and thus the next siege) arrives. But the simple answer is, if the firearm requires a quiver, then no. All items, except for what it holds in its hands, are dropped to the ground upon transformation. Quivers included.

Also, golems have the INTELLIGENT flag, meaning they still retain skill gain.

Guns use the [RANGED:BLOWGUN:BULLET_L] or S variant for small guns... wiki sais as of vanilla game Blowgun !DARTS! need a quiver... but i have totally no idea where to find the raw text for if Blowgun !BULLETS! need a quiver or not... as I have no guns right now.. could you have a look into it for me?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3577 on: April 18, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »

All ammo needs quivers. So yeah, Guns need Bullets, Bullets need Quiver. Would be nice to mod in cartridges, but this is sadly impossible.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: April 18, 2012, 02:18:10 pm »

Three groups of war elephants came with three groups of MAGMA HOUNDS. The elephants didn't even get to fight anyone. Fire, fire everywhere! They were not mounted on them, just accompanied. Seems a little odd to have magma hounds paired with war elephants though. Side effect of making things appear everywhere or intended? lol

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: April 18, 2012, 02:21:35 pm »

Three groups of war elephants came with three groups of MAGMA HOUNDS. The elephants didn't even get to fight anyone. Fire, fire everywhere! They were not mounted on them, just accompanied. Seems a little odd to have magma hounds paired with war elephants though. Side effect of making things appear everywhere or intended? lol

My 1.7.1 fortress had War Elephants riding War Tigers.

This amuses me greatly for two reasons:
1. Elephants. Riding tigers. Seriously.
2. There's no way in hell an elephant would work with a tiger together. It's an Alabama thing. :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3580 on: April 18, 2012, 02:26:31 pm »

Well, the 5 warbeasts should appear in the wild, to spice things up. (Elephants have mounts ? wtf I really have to mod the Fortress Defense Mod a bit) but the hounds shouldnt start fires by just being there, they need to breathe fire first.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: April 18, 2012, 02:28:04 pm »

I had them riding giant snakes before, which was much more deadly than the elephants because they were highly poisonous. The magma hounds were like 30+ of them with a constant barrage of fireballs. Only the female ones can shoot fireballs, but they had quite a few females. The siege was broken because the elephants all died from being on fire. :) Down from 44 dwarves to 18.

The fires were all from the females shooting. Only a single elephant remains, too injured to do anything. A war dog and a cave tortoise are biting it. No harm letting them play with the beast, as my non-burning dwarves have things to move. :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 02:29:54 pm by masquerine »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3582 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:47 pm »

Not sure if this is good or bad gameplaywise, but it certainly makes the game harder. I will mod the FD mod for the next release though.

SammyLiimex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:26 pm »

Great mod!

Anyway, I want to play a different race from another mod in Adventure mode. Can i simply copy that races TXT over into the masterwork raws? It forms civs and has armor and stuff

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: April 18, 2012, 02:33:51 pm »

Well, the 5 warbeasts should appear in the wild, to spice things up. (Elephants have mounts ? wtf I really have to mod the Fortress Defense Mod a bit) but the hounds shouldnt start fires by just being there, they need to breathe fire first.

It took me a few years for them to come at me with mounts, but when they did, they did so in full force. Maybe it's because they have the PERMITTED_JOB:ANIMAL_TRAINER tag? I would like to think so.
Pages: 1 ... 237 238 [239] 240 241 ... 749