Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836865 times)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 NEW: Music for the Masses
« Reply #3540 on: April 17, 2012, 03:35:40 pm »

So all fantastic creatures got a ANY_LAND to make them appear more often. Thought people would appreciate acutally seeing the fancy creatures for once ;)

Oh!  It is a nice idea, but for me it's the opposite, they're not fantastic anymore if they're everywhere.  It takes away quite a bit what was special about embarking in unusual biomes.

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: April 17, 2012, 03:43:06 pm »

I will answer everything in a while, just two thinks now:

High Boots cancel out shoes, and no socks exist...THATS it, what is making armored dwarves think they are naked. Thanks for that find.

I was about to comment on that. I would like to see a return of Socks, since they are the only non-foreign "shoes" that can be layered under High Boots. Either that, or change the LAYER_SIZE of Shoes to something lower than its LAYER_PERMIT (though, technically, that would mean you could wear two pairs of shoes).

And I did some testing with clothes, using a test group of modded clothing sets and a control group of unmodded clothing sets. SOFT and HARD does not matter one bit when it comes to acting like clothing (ARMORLEVEL does). SOFT simply means it can be made from yarn, silk, or plant material. So my testing revealed that Padded Armor will function like clothing just fine as long as it has an ARMORLEVEL:0 tag (but this means it will have wear), or simply change up the LAYER tags so that a dwarf can wear a full suit of metal, a full suit of padded, and a full set of clothes. In other words, lower the LAYER_SIZE of ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT down to 5 (from the original 10, to make it less restrictive), and remove LEATHER tag from the shirt so only soft materials can be used (to prevent a HUGE stack of drakescale shirts).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 03:46:52 pm by Lockesly L`Crit »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: April 17, 2012, 05:49:29 pm »

Merchant Hall mod-mod for MW

I've been playing with a small mod-mod that I'd like to share, since I haven't seen anything else quite like it yet.  It very well might still be buggy so let the user beware :) but i've tested a few worlds enough to confirm that the idea works.  Any thoughts are welcome, or maybe a more experienced modder will like the concept and turn it into a more polished version.

The main idea is to convert fortress clutter like cloth and extra food into cheap coins, and goblinite into coins of the same metal.  It allows exchanging common low value coins into shinier gold, electrum, and platinum coins which are more suitable for hoarding dramatically in vaults, silos, etc.  Finally it allows buying a few convenient things with coins, in particular MW items like crates of bars, trappulleys, and blank books.  Ideally neither buying stuff nor melting down the coins would be more efficient than getting things the old fashioned way, although it's surely not really balanced yet. 

The merchant reactions:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The corresponding entity_default entries

The building is just the old Guildhall renamed

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 06:11:23 pm by smakemupagus »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3543 on: April 17, 2012, 06:27:07 pm »

First of all: I did forget to include the building guides for the two new buildings (storage unit & music stage) to the appropiate folder. So here you go:

Music Stage
Storage Unit

@smakemupagus:
I bet this was some kind of debugging test, I doubt this made it to the live version on purpose.
Nope, sorry to disappoint, but it is indeed intentional. Sneaky update, see the explanation at the end of the post, since it concerns everyone.

@panopticum: I cant really mess with golems being appointable or keeping their noble position, but as stated they do have NOEMOTION, so they never tantrum, regardless of mandates or demands. They also have NOSLEEP, so the tired thingy does not affect him as well.

@milkbot: Scrapwood to Ash is easily possible, no problem.

@seraphyx: Default temp/weather off was an oversight by me. Was an artifact leftover from testing, hope people notice it and turn it back on. Thanks for the typo find.

@corai: Wild armored horses are odd... but logically they could be left-over horses from invaders. I can disable that easily tough.

@geneoce: You mean transforming dwarves into broodlords ? That would be possible, I could also spawn them directly in workshop (yes I can) but they would count as friendly units, not as pets or dwarves. Will have to test this.

@tahjudt: Nope, not really, the pets are a mess since the new system. Thanks for the pray-reaction, no idea where that came from, it is in the mod since v.05 Guess people would have noticed that it makes an odd product...  A weapons guide is in the manual, but I have no graphical one, if you mean that. Since all weapons use the same icon ingame (and all armor as well) I decided against making one, it would just look ridiculus...

@zach123: no free golem through concubines :P

@dorfmeister: Yes, bone to arrow, or arrow-producing in general, can be done, BUT the bone reaction would use up an entire stack of bones, making it very wasteful.

@hammerdave:
Also never got an answer from my previous question.  With dangerous smelting turned off, what would cause furnace operators to randomly bleed to death at magma arc furnaces?  At first I thought it was a magma critter popping them from below, but the magma channel is behind a fortification and there are no observable critters down there right after the event.
I dont know yet, but will check. On the first look I cant find anything though. That magma-buildings have no solid tiles in intentional however, evil magma-thingies are supposed to crawl in. :)

@orkel: Sure, can do. When I released it I gave credit for the entire system, which is part of yours, hugos, san diegos and sethcreyids. But I did not add this to the actual credits, so no worries, you'll be included as well. :) I personally think it works quite well, otherwise I wouldnt have added it. There are other system for the same thing btw, the brainstem from nihilist, or the left/right brain/stem from sethcreiyd (?)... only thing that does not work is implementing this new brain to FBs and Titans, or generated Demons/Nightcreatures. They all have the standard brain tissues.

@lockesly L crit: The double gremlins have a simply reason: Gremlins are a cave civ now, that means they camp or ambush, the original AI, with sneaking gremlins pulling levers and opening cages does not work anymore. So I made 2 creatures, one for the entity, the other as wildlife.

4. Only the males of the sentient races have a chance of dropping skill essences. Dwarves are excluded, as they don't drop them.
Almost right, I had to make a third caste with a low pop-ratio for this. Dwarves are excluded since the essence replaces corpses, and I know you rather like to bury your dwarves.

The duplicate ANY_LAND has no negative effect. I just replaced all BIOME: tags with BIOME:ANY_LAND BIOME: tags, thats why there are duplicates. It made implementing the change a lot easier (find & replace) and I can see the original biome, since it is still listed in the raws, makes reversing the change a lot easier.

Good point about the soap, I think I have to make the batch reaction more expensive. ;)

@firons2: Nope, sadly not possible through modding yet.

@simonthedwarf: You mean at "prepare carefully" in embark? These are auto-generated, not done by me. I think the game just takes some of all the plants.

@werdna: Seperating clothes from XxclothesXx is sadly impossible. Otherwise I would have added it already. No idea about the workshop not accepting ingredients though, seems some have it, some dont, randomly. It is really beyond me how that happens.

@throren: The caste system button only takes out savants and guilds, but mages and secrets are done by the respective buttons. They also use the caste-workaround in the raws, but are not really a a part of the caste system. BUT this is the reason you had so many babies being SecretFunStuff, with no other castes the chance to get a secret caste/mage is a lot higher. The warlock taking the mother hostile is funny :)
The pathfinding AI problems with the nightwings is known, and I did remove all flying mounts from invaders because of this. I did not change the Fortress Defence Mod however, so people can still have flying invaders if they like.

@tsuchigumo: A syndrom arrow (did you mean bolt?) has a melting point that is close to body temperature and a syndrome attached. It hits its target, melts, and the target is affected by the syndrome. I use this trick for the special ammo you can do in the alchemist, and the ammo for the magic wands. Tears of Armok sometimes are dry, that depends on the sourrounding geography, but most have an aquifer around them. I found them extremely useful.

@fairin:
The flying {copper bolt} strikes The ogre head in the head, but the attack passes right through!
I did not mod anything on the ogre, so this is probably a vanilla bug. I cant even decide if that fortress of you was a win or a fail. A living ogre head perched on top of an inaccesible wall, directly at your entrance, as if someone wanted heads on pikes on the city gate ? Sounds awesome to me, even if it distrubs the locals...

@the_game_hunt: Well, the mod is massive, some features people like or dislike depending on how they see dwarves. I am sure the warhammer-faction is well used to dwarves with guns. But as mentioned, I did not write the Settings for nothing, if you dont like a features, just turn it off. :)

@sasha: Mh... if the metalworks are disabled, all coarse_iron ore should revert back to normal iron ore. I have to test this. The new animal training system is hardcoded, no way I can touch it.

@lamorak84:
1. The settings do overwrite a lot of raws when you change tilesets. I added the note "changing tilesets do reset some of the settings" to the launcher, right next to the tileset button. I could write a way to circumvent this, but it would be... a lot more work then the current system. Same goes for your proposed change, it is reasonable, but a lot of work, for a very minor feature. Most people do stick to their favourite tileset all the time...
2. Already generated worlds will stay the same.
3. Military in armor will still need clothing or the new padded clothing. I think there is one minor problem with boots and shoes however, have to check if you can layer those.

So as far as I did read the actual protection an armor piece or cloth piece can give you comes NOT from Defense Value 0-4? But its a mix of stuff like material used and Coverage and stuff like that?
That is correct, the armor-level tag is a relic and not in use anymore. Thanks for the kind words, I think with the Settings.exe I did hit a mark ;)

I can in theory do more tech, and YES, I can create creatures in workshops, but only vermin, OR friendly units. So I could make a little 1x1 workshop where you can assemle constructs, but they would stay where they are, they are no pets that couold be pastured. The upgrades for the turrets are also possible, but I would have to make a seperate creature for each combination... ehm... well, so much about that ;) If you like to see what the new interactions can do about tech, see the next version of Legends of Forlorn Realms, Narhiril is just doing a lot of work on her Tech-Tech-Tree. I still hope to find a way to produce pets in workshops, and not friendlies. Then I would add it as well. I even made a thread about a working way to create your steampunk tanks a while back, thought some warhammer mods might like it, but nothing came of it. And dwarven flamethrowers: See flame turrets ;) I sadly cant add it to weapons. Wait a second... I think I can, in a way...

@jocan2003: Thanks :) The mod is currently about 3 times as big as vanilla DF :)

@ solon64: Yep, the weirdness of the creatures popping up everywhere is a little test. And I think you have temperature off, please turn it on in the launcher (you can still do this in a current world/save, since it changes the init, not the raws) that should solve the problem with unwanted stones. Thanks for the compliments :)

@lewtz: Can work on the migrant wave size. I noticed that they went up since 0.34, but that is vanilla df, not me... only way to affect them is by having a low amount of wealth and having a high amount of deaths.

@ALL: Again, about the removed EVIL/GOOD tags and the biomes: I personally think that the regional interactions, like the walking dead, strange weather and different plants are enough to seperate those regions. There are tons of good or evil creatures people will never see. I know that many people embark on 2-3-4 different biomes in on embark screen, just to get a higher diversity in creature types. Well, you dont have to anymore, all non-mundane (not-real-life) creatures will spawn everywhere. You can get on ogre walking by in a good region, or undead unicorns wreaking havoc in an evil region... I will try to seperate the ice creatures a bit, so they dont look completely out of place though.

About the spawning of creatures: I could, for example, create a 1x1 workshop that allows a dwarf to spawn 5 landmines, randomly around him. These landmines would be tagged friendly, and therefore cant be moved, but you can just create them as you like. Go to the trap corridor, build the 1x1 workshop (landmine deployment), set mines, deconstruct workshop. This would be possible.

About a flamethrower like weapon: I could make a flamethrower that melts at bodytemperature. I think, and I am not sure, that it would melt as soon as a dwarf picks it up, and then affects the dwarf with a syndrome, transforming him into a "flamethrower dwarf" with firebreath. He could "breathe" fire for... 10 times, then reverts back to normal. This might be possible, but very clutchy. And flamethrower dwarves are already in the mod, with the magmamancers. Or dragons, or flameturrets. Or caught and tamed flaming skulls :P

EDIT: @smakemupagus: wow, looks real good. I cant really tell how balanced the merchant hall is, but I see that you also have some training for the garden and more prayers... you got ahead of me, I wanted to revisit the religion section since the new interactions, but I couldnt find the time yet ;) And these 4 training reaction, I think that they are missing in the normal mod... right ?

@lockesly Lcrit (what is up with that nickname anyway, I dont even...): Thanks for the info on clothing, I really thought it was the soft tag... so I have to remove the armorlevel from padded armor. And I think I will readd socks (I hate socks) and rename them shoes, and remove shoes. This way people can wear both shoes and boots, or only shoes. Should work. I dont want to meddle with the layer sizes and permits again, not while everything is working nicely.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: April 17, 2012, 07:12:39 pm »

Ok something odd is happening. I tried to change a few things, such as removing Living Stone and Fungus Stone and It crashes at end of World Gen...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3545 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:35 pm »

Tested world gen with default settings and with "less solid stone" off, as in: no living stone and no cave fungus, and I get no crashes...

I also saw this thread]
Important part:

This is with 1.7.2 so appearently all elven warbeasts do work now, with the new biome tags and such. :) Good news.

EDIT: Appearently something went horribly wrong, so I rewrote the post.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:08:22 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - v1.7.2 NEW: Updated MAC Version
« Reply #3546 on: April 17, 2012, 10:47:34 pm »

Just wanted to let everyone know: I updated the MAC Version to 1.7.1, for DF 34.07. This has been done, yet again, by kudakeru, I personally was a bit slow with uploading it. Thanks again for the ongoing support. :)

Download link is on the first page.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: April 17, 2012, 11:02:44 pm »

If elven pets work, do droven pets work as well?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: April 17, 2012, 11:20:08 pm »

Problem to watch out for with Steel of Armok - in short, it doesn't play well with the Blast Furnace.

If you order the Blast Furnace to make any kind of metal batch, it picks any stone that is an ore of that metal for the smelting.  It's always been a trade-off in that it would take six Pure Gold and produce six bars, for example, and it has no chance of making Iridium, but it's a lot faster, and can be worth it.  However, the dwarves will grab Steel of Armok for any Blast Furnace reaction except Wrought Iron, Steel, or the Charcoal - and you'll only get one type of bar out of it.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3549 on: April 18, 2012, 12:03:00 am »

That is a good point. I decided to make the gem an ore, so people can find the reaction easier, since a hardcoded reaction is added automatically. Maybe making the gem an actual gem would be better, and adding a custom reaction for it. The only problem with that is the difference between rough, small and large gems. And I could add a small chance for iridium to the blast furnace as well, considering how much ore it uses up.

Drow pets are as of yet... untested. Cant really answer the question, today is the first time since the update I have internet and electricity ;)

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: April 18, 2012, 12:30:08 am »

Yikes, wild magma hounds  :o

But he eventually wandered off.  Glad i didn't have any hunters to annoy him!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:42:29 am by smakemupagus »

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: April 18, 2012, 12:50:01 am »

@lockesly Lcrit (what is up with that nickname anyway, I dont even...): Thanks for the info on clothing, I really thought it was the soft tag... so I have to remove the armorlevel from padded armor. And I think I will readd socks (I hate socks) and rename them shoes, and remove shoes. This way people can wear both shoes and boots, or only shoes. Should work. I dont want to meddle with the layer sizes and permits again, not while everything is working nicely.

I'll meddle around with the raws so I can get just the right combination of LAYER stuff on the padded armor and cloth shirts for you and I'll post the results. Having an ARMORLEVEL:0 (and thus subjecting it to wear) on a masterwork deephide piece of armor is not really a good idea. Think of me as a free playtester :P

And as for the nickname, Lockesly originally came from my old DragonRealms name LockeCole CelesChere (can you tell I was a big FF fan?) back 15 years ago. Since it was a RP-only game, and the fact I wanted my own personality, I changed it to Lockesly (I was inspired by Robin Hood). The L'Crit part comes from the generic surname for dark elf guards in EverQuest.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: April 18, 2012, 01:00:36 am »

I will say this again...

Meph, any chance of moving Living and Fungus Stone away from the surface and into the ground better.
Living stone should be something found at and below the 3rd cavern or around the magma sea or so. This makes more sense as it is something that is more exotic then something that should be on the surface.
Fungus Stone should move down a cavern or two as well, with a rare chance of it forming on the surface levels. The reason I am saying this is mostly cause it feels very very odd for something like Living stone to be so common above ground as it appears and the Fungus cause I feel that Fungus STONE should be forming due to damp and dark conditions not another surface level stone...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3553 on: April 18, 2012, 01:11:42 am »

Thank you, L'Crit (it is a title the way I understand it, so I will use this from now on, of it is ok for you) Remember that I changes HARD to SOFT, might have to switch that back for the padded armors.

@nevyn: Setting stone depths is not easy, there are only layers, and some layers might not even exist in a certain map. The cave fungus and living stone are carbon copies of microcline and bauxite, even have the same colors... I keep them like they are because, and that is the main reason, because they are so common. I want to remove as much solid rock as possible, while giving a lore-friendly explanation why the stone leaves no boulders. I know that I could set them up as special rare rock with nice properties, but the point of the entire thing is to reduce itemcount. I did see your suggestion, but it contradicts the function of cave fungus. For people who dont like it, turning simple rock OFF would help to make it a lot more rare, and you can disable it with the "less solid stones", which will also give you back normal microcline and bauxite again. I know that some people disagree with the fungus (from the very start^^) but I do keep it, since it works as intended. Or would you prefer a gray rock called: Crumbly Granite and Crumbly Marble (or similar things) instead ?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: April 18, 2012, 01:16:14 am »

I know that some people disagree with the fungus (from the very start^^) but I do keep it, since it works as intended. Or would you prefer a gray rock called: Crumbly Granite and Crumbly Marble (or similar things) instead ?
At least this for the damn Living Stone, when I first saw it I thought I shouldn't even go near it. The Fungus also confuses me as sometimes I think that its like a Damp Stone so I can build a Farm directly on it cause heck that would make a bit of sense there wouldn't it...
Pages: 1 ... 235 236 [237] 238 239 ... 749