Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1833642 times)

Ashnal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress -V.0.7.2 - MAJOR UPDATE!!!
« Reply #330 on: January 15, 2012, 12:48:40 am »

I had no clue that Vellum was a name for a material. Deon uses the word in genesis to describe an object made from leather used by the library. I thought it was some sort of leather-bound book. In any case, I'm goign to make the reactions make leather-bound books now :)

So about the combat values,

So the higher the SHEAR_YIELD, the more effective a cutting weapon is?

What effects whether a cutting attack slices through or gets converted into a blunt attack? Is it SHEAR_FRACTURE?

Does the SHEAR_YIELD of armor items get used? Or does the game simply decide if the attack slices or not, then uses the IMPACT values? Once an edged attack is converted into a blunt one, does the SOLID_DENSITY factor in as it would for an origianlly blunt attack? If so, it would mean candy weapons wouldn't ever bruise anything they cant cut up on account of being so light (maybe that's something to test?). I am also a bit curious about how the IMPACT values work. Do blunt attacks that surpass armor's IMPACT_YIELD do damage based on IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD? Blunt attacks that fail to pass armor's IMPACT_YIELD are deflected right?

So many questions :P just trying to make sense of the combat system I suppose.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #331 on: January 15, 2012, 12:54:11 am »

Wiki says: Vellum (from the Old French Vélin, for "calfskin")[1] is mammal skin prepared for writing.

Edged or blunt attacks are defined in the weapon file, not in the material file. Nothing gets converted. How deep it cuts is also set in the weapon file. Shear values (all 3) affect the edged attacks power, among others.

Adamant is bad for blunt weapons because of its low density. Best material for blunt weapons, by far, would be slade.

And the last two questions: I suppose the answers are Yes and Yes.

And we are derailing the thread... a bit. ;)

EDIT:
Impact elasticity: Used for blunt-force combat; lower is better. This is the raw value.
Shear elasticity: Used for cutting calculations in combat; lower is better. This is the raw value.

This is from the wiki. IT IS WRONG, HIGHER IS BETTER.

MORE INFO:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:57:31 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 15, 2012, 01:01:47 am »

is from the wiki. IT IS WRONG, HIGHER IS BETTER.

You sure? Did you do testing?

I'm going to have to do some testing on this...

brb making another topic about it

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #333 on: January 15, 2012, 01:12:21 am »

Empirical evidence. Tin, lead and other non-armor, non-weapon metals have a very low count. Bronze, Silver, Brass have a medium count, while iron and steel have a very high number... I assume (making an ass out of you and me) that it means: Higher is better. Otherwise people would use tin swords.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 15, 2012, 01:24:24 am »

Some spelling errors i found: in the furniture workshop you can make wooden "qerns". should be querns. in the crematory you can creamate vermin instead of cremating them. or fix the product to be dead vermin cream :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #335 on: January 15, 2012, 01:27:32 am »

Both fixed, thanks. No vermin cream though.

btw, tech tree:
Metal Refinery:Fireproof metal DONE
Weaponry: battle metal DONE
Armory: lightweight metal DONE
Ammo Caster: Siege ammo DONE, NEEDS TESTING
Alchemist Lab: Magical Ammo DONE, NEEDS TESTING
Kitchen WIP
Brewery WIP
Obsidian Factory: DONE
Slade Factory: DONE

Idea:Make the battle metal super heavy, so your tank-soldiers move slowly. that would balance it out. would also affect fighting speed, which is bad. Have to do testing.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:40:44 am by Meph »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 15, 2012, 01:55:16 am »

Actually impact elasticity should be lower on blunt weapons. Are you sure your tests were correct? I remember people testing and it worked properly before.

And iron is not the best choice for blunt weapons.

Lead hammers are much better, the density and weight are very important.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 01:57:57 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #337 on: January 15, 2012, 02:38:56 am »

you would think low impact elasticity would be good for blunt attacks (hammer won't simply wrap around target) but high would be good for armor (can absorb more impact and fling it away like rubber)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2012, 02:41:53 am »

That's how I thought it works.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2012, 03:37:06 am »

Is the green surface-grass supposed to be in caves?

edit:
Ialso noticed that the simple fire turrets seem to be awfully ineffective. I have one fighting a single giant rat for about one month now, all it managed to to was bruise the rats tail. I cant imagine them being better against other creatures, since none of them wear burnable clothes anymore. You might want to have a look at this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 04:46:22 am by CheatingChicken »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2012, 09:08:54 am »

Firebreath does hurt and melt the fat, starting bleeding. If the creatures survives that, it is pretty much immune to any fire. I should help against groups of invaders, when the firebreath hits mulitple enemies, but not as a sole defense. Add other turrets, crossbowdawrves, or golems to it. BOT dwarves, because of friendly fire.

I saw the surface grass in the caverns... depends on your settings about flora and fauna I guess, but I like the look of it. :)

And for a third time:
I am talking about armor and edged weapons, not blunt weapons.
Empirical evidence. Tin, lead and other non-armor, non-weapon metals have a very low count. Bronze, Silver, Brass have a medium count, while iron and steel have a very high number... I assume (making an ass out of you and me) that it means: Higher is better. Otherwise people would use tin swords.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2012, 09:34:00 am »

Yep, but you said that

Impact elasticity: Used for blunt-force combat; lower is better. This is the raw value.
is wrong.

Used for blunt-force combat

Other values I am not talking about.

P.S. Thank you, your code worked and now I've released the first version of ModLoader. It's AWESOME :). You may grab any part of Genesis you want anytime :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #342 on: January 15, 2012, 10:20:13 am »

That is a quote from the wiki. ^^ Doenst matter. I just try to add 3*15 kinds of metals into 3 buildings, without causing confusion.

Weaponry makes battle metal ::: Armory makes lightweight metal ::: Refinery makes fireproof metal.
I am not quite content with that, there surely is a better way. People wont know that battle metal also makes stronger armor...

And yeah, I am downloading it right now, to see how you solved your issues :)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #343 on: January 15, 2012, 03:05:08 pm »

I will scrap the ASCII version.

Instead I will merge Phoebus, Ironhand and Ascii all into one, and make it another option in the settings tool. The graphics are done for all three versions, just have to update the settings program.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 15, 2012, 03:22:43 pm »

Collaboration always brings great results, it's good to have you around :3.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 749