Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1836063 times)

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 1.6 NEW: ASCII & JollyBastion Tileset
« Reply #3135 on: April 02, 2012, 12:59:59 am »

Tradegoods is an amazing idea, especially boxes of metals and buying full armor sets. It's so annoying manually creating your "ideal" armor set for all of your dwarves. Granted by the time you can afford a full armor set from traders you probably will have enough resources to make your own but it's still a good option to have. An idea I had for this if it's possible and you want to do it is to have different kinds of sets of armor, if dwarf fortress had classes like warrior, archer, mage, etc... they would be boxes of armor specifically for that class. So maybe a box for heavy armor and full protection, then a box for light armor and faster movement speed (weight of armor does affect movement speed right?), and an archer box or whatever. I think you get the idea. Maybe each civ can have special boxes. Elves would obviously have very good archer stuff, humans or dwarves would have boxes more suited towards melee warriors or whatever you decide.

About the whores/companions. It's a good idea but I think there should be a way to transform your current population members into them. When you embark I don't think there's anyway to know for a fact that your dwarven race will get killed while playing (at least I doubt most people will be able to or want to figure it out if there is a way) so having them only on embark people will probably waste points just to be safe when they might never have problems with migrants or being sieged constantly.

I don't know what you can do to make it balanced and still be effective, I just know it would be far more useful to be able to make them yourself rather than adding even more things you buy at embark. It's just not reliable in my opinion, it's a gamble since you don't know if you will have problems. And I wouldn't want to buy them just in case, then have a million babies PLUS a ton of migrants constantly flowing in.

Glad to see you are back, looking forward to the new update for sure. And the tradegood overhaul whenever you do that.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:04:07 am by Seraphyx »

Nerebor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: April 02, 2012, 05:07:35 am »

Little bug i've got dont know if its due to me crappy computer or a common problem the autosave feature causes DF to crash on my comp.

And an interesting little tidbit i dont know if this was intentional captured some tigermen and a female swords tiger gave birth while in captivity i'm apparently able to tame these little blighters havent done so yet but more on that later.

Edit: Sadly the cute wittle now decaptitated tigermen cubs went all fubar on me dwarves Behinds fortunately mastiff puppies were nearby who heartily dug in i fear for my enemies.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:42:22 am by Nerebor »
I tamed the little blighters and they went all fubar on me dwarves!

Migrants arrive, Giant serpent notices migrants, Migrants die

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: April 02, 2012, 05:57:23 am »

Concubine + broodspawn = dwarfsplosion?

That could be interesting, if allowed to work.  :D
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:10 am »

What the carp am I doing wrong?
With this mod, the ages pass to the golden age much too quickly!
after 2 decades it suddenly switches to Legends, and after 10-20 years Heroes and Golen age.  ???

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3139 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:16 am »

I think there should be a way to transform your current population members into them.

Impossible. The pet tag is not supported, otherwise slaves would be way easy to add in. But yeah, they are only hindersome at embark, but I meant adding them to other races as well, just as part of the caravan. Drow/Elf caravan comes, you can buy dwarven slaves/concubines. Just as a failsafe for people who have a grant fortress, but run out of dwarves...

@ultimuh: Which worlds are you using ? Standard worldgen, or adv. ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: April 02, 2012, 09:37:10 am »

i want elf slaves that have the cleaning interaction
make them clean the blood of there brethren ;D
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Octopi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: April 02, 2012, 11:44:58 am »

How would one add another tileset pack amongst the others? I would like to use Ironhand with this when the next update for Masterwork comes in.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3142 on: April 02, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »

In the raw/objects folder you have to manually edit all the creature, tool, inorganic and plant objects. They have a this tag (TILE:xxx), that has to be fitted to the tileset.

It is a lot of work ;)

EDIT: Wrote a little summary to replace the first forum post for the next version, you think it is ok ? Or too much text ? I cant really just list all the features one by one anymore, there are too many.

What is Masterwork Dwarf Fortress ?

Formerly I listed most of the features in this post for people who never heard about the mod and want to get a little overview. I now changed this, since it makes no sense. This Mod is not just a mod anymore. Every single part of DF that can be toyed with has been altered and hopefully made better by this compendium. Included mouse macros, additional hotkeys, mouse support, a selection of ingame tips, uniform templates, pre-set worlds with specific topics, embark profiles, a custom font, about 400 custom creature sprites, a program that allows to alter 90% of the mod yourself, several balancing features that allow to make the game harder or easier, a custom arena, background sound... a giant manual, building guides with details about every single reaction, tables about new materials and values, wallpapers, a total of 8 different tilesets and more. My Point ? All the features I just noted are not even the ingame stuff added by Masterwork DF. So far this were only extras, little things by the side.

The main part of the mod are new fortress mode additions. A total of 850+ creatures, 800+ new reactions, 60 new building, over 1000+ plants, trees, weapons, ammo, armor, food, toys, engraving and instruments, up to 25 invading races, cavern sieges and slaves, golems and landmines. Caste System, Farming trees, Throwing weapons, weapon and armor upgrades, armoring pets, alternate industries to replace metal, alternate food and booze sources, hidden fossils and spies that infiltrate your fortress. Pray to armok for aid, defend yourself with turrets and mines, research firearms or magic, hunt kobolds for loot, while a disease ravages your fortress, or lock away your magic experiments gone wrong. A smelter catches fire, or a miner catches the black lung... goblins and FBs are not the only things you have to look out for.

One feature that is most dear to me is the change in tactics. You can not play by bunkering yourself in. Some features require you to kill megabeasts, other need trading, blueprints and research, hunting in the caverns, defeating the HFS, exploratory mining, avoiding dangerous warpstone. You can find hidden fossils bearing special items, or gemstone that produce water. You can fell crystal trees and fashion pikes out of them, or hunt gem scarabs for diamonds. Trading is very, very important in this mod, I cannot stress this fact enough. You get unique items from other civs, you can order from all of them, buy slaves or dragons, constructs and special materials, foreign weapons and armor.

This mod adds more flavor and atmosphere to the game by giving races specific items, changing the looks of the caverns, which are now polar opposite to each other and adding custom profession names and castes.

You might say: "But this mod is too big, I only like half of the features"..and I say: No Problem. With the included MasterworkDF Settings.exe you can enable and disable parts of the mod, just by pressing a button. No modding experience needed. With over 5000 possible combinations you will find one that suits you.

I did save the best part for the end. Standardized materials and reduced item count. You will notice that many rocks leave only dust, invaders leave less items, some redundant clothing is not there... this will lead to higher FPS. You will also notice that leather is only called leather. Not "creature-name" leather, but only leather. The same goes for silk. And hair, milk, meat and blood, bones and wood. You wont have to scroll through 50 building materials in your list, but only 10. This is the very core of the mod. This will make playing DF a lot easier on the user, and... increase your FPS by about 25%. No joking here. This mod is about 3 times as big as normal DF and still manages to run faster.

For a full list of features please refer to the included manual and guides. It should cover 95% of the questions. There is also a fan-based Wiki and of course this thread for your convenience. If you experience any problems with this mod, please sent me a PM with more info. I added several known Adventure Mode Mods as well, but I do not actively work with adv-mode. I cannot help you with any issues there, but am still grateful for feedback about it.

PS: I would add a little table with a list for the tl;dr people as well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:48:53 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: April 02, 2012, 03:07:53 pm »

Do NOT put a Fire Turret anywhere inside or near your fortress. I placed mine in my fort's entrance in case of invaders, thinking the "fire" was just a fancy way of saying "modified damage". Woo boy, I was wrong. I was SO wrong. A kobold was caught by the turret... and five seconds later my 100 strong fortress was reduced to 50 very unhappy and very scorched dwarves. And that's not even mentioning the huge wild fire inside my fortress and out.
Mental note: place these metal badasses on the OTHER side of the brook next time.

It was a lot of Fun.

Panopticon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: April 02, 2012, 03:20:38 pm »

I too experienced this, but with Hellfire turrets, I've taken to pasturing them way out in the wilderness and building firebreaks in the form of moats, trenches or constructed floors between it and the fort, and still more often then not they will incinerate the merchants or a migrant wave along with whatever is attacking at the time.

Do not mistake this for a complaint, it totally isn't.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Masterwork Dwarf Fortress - V0.1 - DF V.31.25 incl. grapics/sound
« Reply #3145 on: April 02, 2012, 04:34:29 pm »

Idea for slaves, several different interactions that each target a different type of intelligent creature, turning the into a slave and (possible?) giving them the tame tag. Trains the lashing skill.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:36:45 pm by tahujdt »
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Lockesly L`Crit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: April 02, 2012, 05:16:15 pm »

Looking at the raws and editing the wiki accordingly, I have come to the conclusion that the Make steel bars (using pig iron) and the Make steel bars (using iron) reactions in the Crucible need to be done away with. They are no better than the Smelter's Make steel bars reaction.

Crucible: Make steel bars (using pig iron) uses 3 iron bars (1 for pig iron and 2 iron) to make 2 steel bars with a 50% chance of getting a third bar. This is a 3:2 iron to steel ratio, with a half chance of a 1:1 ratio. The entire iron or to steel bar process uses 1 flux stone.
Smelter: Make steel bars uses 2 iron bars (1 for pig iron and 1 iron) to make 2 steel bars. This is a 1:1 iron to steel ratio. The entire iron ore to steel bar process takes 2 flux.
Crucible: Make steel bars (using iron) uses 1 iron bar and 1 flux to make 1 steel bar. This is a 1:1 iron to steel ratio. The entire iron ore to steel bar process takes 1 flux. This puts this reaction on par with the Smelter.

I honestly don't see the need for the Crucible for making steel when the Smelter does the exact same thing (or better) if I have the flux, which I usually do. If you're hurting for flux (IE: a bad embark), you're just not acting like a dwarf and mining for it.

Maybe these reactions need to be balanced a bit to weigh in the cost of requiring the Crucible.

Shin Majin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: April 02, 2012, 05:25:54 pm »

Has anybody else had problems with venomous creatures not injecting poison with their bites?

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: April 02, 2012, 06:26:55 pm »

the additional reactions do seem a bit redundant but i don't think you can remove any of the smelters reactions
and you can make flux out of bones in this mod in the kitchen i believe so flux isn't needed as much
the mod's additional stuff takes a lot of the challenge out but you can simply ignore it ;)

~sad i couldn't make elf slaves that clean...maybe other dwarf/creatures but not floors/walls :(
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3149 on: April 02, 2012, 06:57:25 pm »

@l'crit: Thanks for the headsup on the crucible. I of course had a look at them when I made the guides, but thought not much of it. These reactions are a leftover of the genesis crucible/finishing forge. I will change/delete them.

@zach: Well, it offers alternatives, but I hope it does not make everything easier ;)

@shin majin: Not that I know of. Can make a little test in the arena. Which creatures do you mean ? I know for certain that injected poisons in generell do work.

@all: I have been doing a bit of advanced science on creature creation. I came as far as making "friendly" custom creatures (even dwarves) in workshops, but they just stand around... Did not find a way to make them "tame" or civ members. But yeah, creatures from workshops do work.
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 749