Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835993 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 1.6 NEW: ASCII & JollyBastion Tileset
« Reply #3120 on: April 01, 2012, 11:35:06 am »

Does anyone know how what raw I need to use this mod's leather and bone system in vanilla?

Turn off everything else in the launcher? That's the simplest solution I can think of. Manually copying the specific raws will be a pain in the ass.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #3121 on: April 01, 2012, 11:36:55 am »

There are some things that are hardcoded in the mod, though, so it'll still be different from just playing vanilla. Granted, the changes are minor compared to the parts that can be turned off, IIRC, but ...
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3122 on: April 01, 2012, 11:39:30 am »

Now, it is the 7th year in my fort under 1.6. Some findings and thoughts, hope not spoiler anything.

First of all, speaking about game breaking issues like crashes, I only experienced a huge one so far. It happened during a massive giants siege, with more than just one Eldjotun playing fire. So it just crashed in the peak of the siege. I did not want to abandon the fort, and tried to see if disable some options will make the game work. There it was, the temperature switch. By switching off the temperature, my game ran again. For that, I believe it must have something to do with the hellfire unleashed by those crazy ass giants (which burned through everything on my map!!). I switch it on a few moment later(after I dealt with those giants, felt a bit cheated the game), and the game did not crash on me anymore. I still keep the game save just in case if you will interest to have a look into later.

Now, let’s talk about the new features. Well, I had found a huge amount of gold, and some very little mithril and wolfgram here and there. In this case, iron tree farm and transmutation chamber did keep me fort survive with little metal to start with. Other than that, I had to rely heavily on rock-tip bolts to fend off siegers. Of course, some earlier rock-made spears and axes helps a lot in the very beginning. For me, it does add a lot of flavours and convenience in the game, and it does not spoil the fun at all.

Other funny things I notice, like I captured the war leader of the darkstrangler by accident. So, I made a arena, and hope to see it fights against other creatures I will throw in merely for *fun*. Unfortunately, it did not work. I later threw a mummy and a normal darkstrangler in as a test, but they just be friend forever there. So I summoned the executioner squad to give them a quick death. (Actually, the mummy was spitting rot files and it disturbed my dorfs). The mummy died after 5 bolts, but it took 10 pages of combat log (I assumed more that 100 bolts) to kill that normal strangler, lol. Now, I still have a bronze statue, a mummy, and of course the war leader there sit in the zoo. I don’t know how shall I deal with them for fun now. Can bronze statue be tamed by dugeonmaster?? I will have a try later.

Oh, I also encountered the infamous blood beast in the middle of the giants siege. The first time, it caused a great chaos in my fort. I was so focus on the siege, that I did not notice one of them crazy dwarf babies turned into the beast right in the dinning hall. Killing the beast left a great deal of blood in the dinning area, and as you know the dwarf wore nothing in this mod. So the blood curse quickly spread-out, as everyone had rooting feet. I was like WTF in the middle of the siege, when my hospital quickly occupied with non-combat patience. Luckily, the crash I mentioned earlier save my fort, because I had to play the whole siege overagain.

Now, on the second run, I pretended I don’t know about the blood beast, and this time it turned in the noble quarter. I also got the chance to observe the whole event this time. So, the baby in the arms of a random famer suddenly changed into a blood beast. The farmer cannot shake the baby away, and were fighting it while holding it in arms at the same time, LOL. Then a pass-by sword dwarf came, who collided with the fighting party. The beast was then killed right in the arms of its’ former mother. FUNNNNNN!!!

Another thing worth mentioning is the steady fps I got all the time. A bit fps drop during major siege, but it all went out fine. A outstanding feature of this mod for sure. Now, marching forward to my 8th year!!

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3123 on: April 01, 2012, 12:59:39 pm »

For the building guides, would it be possible to include their dimensions for those of us who like to plan out everything layout wise years in advance?
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: MASTERWORK Dwarf Fortress - 1.6 NEW: ASCII & JollyBastion Tileset
« Reply #3124 on: April 01, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »

Had a dwarf eye the refuse stockpile. Not knowing what to do,  I immediately bundled him away with a forge to creat -copper bolts-. Unfortunately, he got out while I was digging the food chute, and transformed in the middle of the food stockpile. The Troubleshooters took him down without incident.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Shin Majin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3125 on: April 01, 2012, 02:58:23 pm »

Hrm...for some reason, venomous snakes aren't injecting their venom, and playable nagas aren't either...is this a bug?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3126 on: April 01, 2012, 04:17:49 pm »

I am back. I just spend some fun days on boats, with dolphines, beaches, sandflies, crystal blue water and really, really hot weather. I finally made it to Panama. :)

For once I will not answer every question posed here in the last week, I hope you are ok with that. It is very nice to come back here and instead of seeing tons of bugreports and crashes (think V. 1.4) the feedback is nice and steady. I noted down all the issues mentioned, but nothing strikes me as serious.

I did do more sprites, here the list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I also slightly changed a lot of sprites: better elementalmen, anacondas and many little tweaks... about 10 old creatures use these new sprites as well, instead of the outdated zoo-graphics from the flora/fauna mod. All duplicate creatures have been deleted. Mephits, Golden Goose, Colossi, Animated Armors, Slimes and Chromatic Dragons now use caste specific colors. All shown sprites are implemented, tested and work. :)

141 are still missing though, will take a lot of work. Some obscure ones as well, no idea how to do a Werechameleon or a Brown Recluse Spider Man for example ;) I also spawned all the creatures in the arena again, to check which ones are missing. About 1 in 7 is a character. Looks like this:

That gave me the following number as well: The Mod contains a total of +850 different creatures, not counting castes. (Dwarves have the highest count with 61 castes btw)

I also finished all the building guides. Although they do not list the dimensions, they have a picture of the workshop, so you can see how big they are.

I updated to 34.06 (of course in the meantime another update appeared)

What I will do about my next update: I still have a lot to do. 140 sprites, rebalancing of some invader creatures, and fixing all reported little issues. Mostly balancing and refining. Of course todays clothing and animal training fixes collide with my own, and everything is a wild mix of broken things in these two sections. ;) This shouldnt take too long though. I will also remove the vomiting plague (it was just a test to see if it works) and will design more interesting plagues as an optional feature. I also have to kill the guildhall, since it interferes with transformations in the magic section. If I find a workaround I will re-add it later.

PS: To answer at least some questions: Yes, blobs can have kids, but they lay eggs, need nestboxes. Burning Magma Hounds are fixed, Sandbox profile shows tons of "dont have this or that" since it literally buys everything. Most maps dont offer everything, so go figure ;)  Slade and Slademantine wearing elves sound unresounable... the war elephants that drop equipment are most likely a FortressDefense bug (?) I did not design them. The therapist not showing transformed mages should be fixed. I removed the custom display name and instead gave them a custom color. Good dwarves are slightly brighter, evil dwarves darker, and fire/stone dwarves have a red hue. They sprites still stay the same.

I also had 2 new ideas for features I like to do, in the distant future, just wanted to know what people might think of them.

#1. Lepra Caravans.
 - Small caravans active in the same season as human caravans. The wear rags, stink, are sourrounded by flies and infect people with mild diseases on touch. You can trade with them, but if they come in contact with the human caravan the caravan might get fed up with them and leave. Think of them as the humans fugly mother in law that comes along in a visit. You could lock them out, or trade with them (they should have some minor tradegoods) or just kill them, whatever you decide. They would be armed with whips (think flagellants) and wear no armor. Simply an unwanted, but friendly guest, another thing I havent seen in any other mod so far. They would be optional of course.

#2. Dwarven... what is the fancy word for whore ? Companion ? Concubine ?
 - I hope people are not too put of by that thought, but I could add 1,2,3 female dwarvesn castes with the pet tag. This would allow to buy them at embark/caravans. They would not work, but could be pastured, or put into cages. They would still eat and drink, could be butchered (cannibalism anyone?, this is just a sideeffect though) and count as citizens. The most important feature is that they get kids without being married. This means easy breeding and is a nice game mechanic for fortresses that are under lockdown for years, get no migrants or have a dead home civ.

Other big features I want to do are a tradegood overhaul (buy full armorset, crates of metal bars, a med-kit containing everything for a basic hospital and so on), custom weather for all regions, inspired by the groundbreaking work narhiril has done in that regard, and a working plague/disease system.

I can unfortunately not give any ETA on the next release, because I have a lot to do on the mod, in RL, today makes rapid releases and the dfhack/mouse fortress/therapist has to be done as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

AirPhforce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3127 on: April 01, 2012, 05:16:36 pm »

Keep up the good work! This mod is well worth the wait.

Rossol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3128 on: April 01, 2012, 07:38:40 pm »

Tradegood overhaul is very nice idea

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3129 on: April 01, 2012, 08:47:48 pm »

New Tradegoods are easy, the problem will be removing unwanted stuff. Dont think that it is possible. If a civ does not have access to a certain material or item, they just take a random selection from the raws. -.-

Anyway, 26 More. I apologize if they start to look the same, but there is only so much I can do. The alcavian actually replaced the elk bird, was a bit confused about that at first. The animal man get real boring to do, copy-pasta with different heads and tails. Hope someone someday will make better ones.

List:

EDIT: Just made a new poll. I did get one report about a crash in a big siege, temperature off saved the day. Mitchewawa also reported a crash related to green devourers (?) and someone else about zombie transformations causing problems. Hope I get rid of these last troublemakers as well. The old poll results:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:07:31 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

LordBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3130 on: April 01, 2012, 10:29:37 pm »

Okay, welcome back Meph... But that makes it sound more like good news to you than everyone else. All the same, that's just me saying "I HATE coming back, from a good thing!" Followed along last week, as well as the weeks before.

I kind of feel guilty for saying this now, and not before. For the past three years, I have been "Dumping" all the items the merchants' put in my depot. My dwarfs pay no mind to the order, till the merchants try to leave, than they grab whatever can be grabbed and haul it off to my garbage pile. The merchants never get mad and leave, and take my orders. I still get tons of migrants, and the Dwarf/elf/anything caravans have not stopped... Oh, and they fulfill my orders like we are all chummy.

I know I can stop this if I wanted, but the point is - I can steal every thing from the caravans with no repercussions, I have been doing it in this game for a long while now. Whatever though, maybe if I keep this up, they will start a war with me.

Well if you read this Meph thanks for reading.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3131 on: April 02, 2012, 12:05:42 am »

I dont think I cant do anything about the "stealing from traders" thing... but I think they bring bigger caravans after they made profit, and you need exported wealth for some triggers...

Assigned/Made another 42 sprites, 70-something to go... gets a bit tiresome. Maybe I should make a break with the sprites, otherwise they start looking silly since I dont put too much effort in them.

List:

aantn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3132 on: April 02, 2012, 12:09:47 am »

Meph, I hope this doesn't come across wrong, but the most important issue for me right now is a 0.34.07 update. Of course I'm also excited about the new sprites, and you should should work on whatever you enjoy most, as this is your mod.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3133 on: April 02, 2012, 12:16:38 am »

Yep, people want the new version with the bugfixes from 34.06 and 34.07, but I said I want to include 3-5 of the leading poll items for the next version of my mod. People voted mostly for fishfarms, balanced invaders, sprites, building guides and diseases/plagues.

I finished only the building guides and fish farm so far, and will work on the rest before the next release. The rate Today One is doing we have 34.08 out in no time anyway. :)

aantn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3134 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:52 am »

Sweet, I didn't notice the fish farm when I voted.

I got the impression Toady was going to tackle improved-hauling next, so it might be longer until the next release.
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 749