Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835477 times)

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like they don't have a problem firing the bone bolts too. So... something's keeping them from wanting to pick them up.
Are the bolts stored in bins?

Ah.... yeeeeah. How can I get them out?

You can try to create another ammo stockpile but forbid bins then just delete the old one. Hopefully they stockpile the bolts without the bins in the new one.

Btw - my military had no problems taking ammo like that from bins. Just saying. My guess is something is set not as it should be set in military options.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

LiamAsA

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ Dwarf Fortress - V0.1 - DF V.31.25 incl. grapics/sound
« Reply #2701 on: March 14, 2012, 12:43:59 pm »

Anyways, I like the mod. I like what you've done with it, and I think you've done a fine job. If I use it, I'll probably go back in and edit the changes to farming out, but I think you've done a wonderful job.

Best of luck, and good job on the hard work.

P.S. Regarding expansions, I would avoid getting too far away from your core principle, which is 'masterworking' the game, I think. Caste systems and religions get away from that. I'd stick to the core things which you have focused on, and try to make that essential enhancement as good as possible. If you -really- want to do religions or castes, I'd say just have it be an optional addon, or another (related) mod. If you stick to your core design philosophy, your mod could become an essential DF mod for many people. If you get too far away from that, it could just become another really great mod, because while almost everyone would want what you have in it already (or things like stone bins), the other stuff gets more into 'ordinary mod' territory. Which would also be fine. You just have to decide what your real goal is.

(1) First off - Ditto, I love what you guys have done with the masterwork interface. Though I haven't tested even close to everything yet I love the concepts but whole heartedly agree that this should be defaulted to Vanilla (a well tweaked and up to date bugswise version). The masterwork tool should become a standard part of the game. Though a lot of people playing DF will chance some delving into the world of raws n raegents people are all at diff levels and some just want to play a great unbuggy game.

(2) So to business - at the min I'm trying to compile a comparison table of all the new metals and whatnot as I found it close to impossible to find the info online - I eventually found this badboy, http://masterworkdf.wikispaces.com/home, but it's a work in progress. I think if people agree then there should be either links to this wiki in the main DF Wiki or better a major new sub wiki built into the main DF wiki.

(3) as I still couldn't easily find a comparison chart or much info at all on the new materials I did something I haven't done in years and then just on one game - delve into the raws and the world of modding. I've edited Navigation a bit on the Masterwork Wiki and will prob tinker some more but I wanted to upload the comparison chart I'm putting together when I've it done but I've a few issues with the raws data of some of the new mats and ask for some feed back I'll put a list below to highlight what I've found or am questioning:

Generally,
  • 1. [IMPACT_YIELD,FRACTURE,STRAIN]=[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD,FRACTURE,STRAIN]
  • 2. [TENSILE_YIELD, FRACTURE]=[TORSION_YIELD, FRACTURE]= [SHEAR_YIELD, FRACTURE]=[BENDING_YIELD, FRACTURE]
  • 3. [TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD]=[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD]
  • 4. [TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD]= [SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD]

Basically, in DF physics - the only true physics :) a lot of similar material properties are identical and save a lot of coding and chance of error. Also, getting towards my problem - easier to categorise i.e. for all the original metals it's possible to build a comparison chart of mechanical properties that's just 7 items long :
  • Impact/Compressive yield -                        strength under compression
  • Impact/Compressive Fracture -                   toughness under compression
  • Impact/Compressive Strain at Yield -           elasticity under compression
  • Tensile/ Torsion/ Shear/ Bending Yield -       strength under tension
  • Tensile/ Torsion/ Shear/ Bending Fracture -  toughness under tension
  • Tensile/ Bending Strain at Yield -                 elasticity under tension
  • Tosion/ Shear Strain at Yield -                    elasticity under twist

So, the probelm I have is that a lot of the new materials do not follow this pattern and I ask is this on purpose and if so why? If not, can it be ammended as it my cause bugs further down the line??

Materials as I found them and assosiate problem areas (#1-4):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope this is more helpful than irritating, seems easy to fix if it's just something that was overlooked otherwise I'm interested to hear your ideas on why a more complex set of values could be necessary.

Cheers ;D

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For some reason, my forts are producing hundreds of pieces of bone and hair jewelry.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Re: Brick Oven

This doesn't seem to require a fuel source, and I'm currently abusing the living hell out of it.  It certainly changes the first few seasons of embark, because a few clay collection zones and a few ovens can spawn walls and defensive structures extremely quickly, producing blocks faster than my early miners are producing rocks.  Without fuel, its remarkably simple.  Too simple?  I'm having a hard time deciding, honestly, as I absolutely loathe the micromanagement of fuel-cutting/mining and burning.  Personally I love large above-ground structures (particularly the control over color!) and will continue using it, but thought I'd mention it in case the no-fuel was a bug.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Re: Brick Oven

Without fuel, its remarkably simple.  Too simple? 

It's nice, but it wouldn't be worth it at all if it consumed fuel.  it converts 2 stones (or clay, apparently?) -> 4 blocks, only saving 2 stones relative to the mason. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

@LiamAsA: Thank you for the interest and report. A back to vanilla DF with all settings off is impossible though, I edit too much. Mostly the generic materials, writing something that finds everything in every raw, without possible mixups is far, far beyond my abilities. In theory it might be possible, but about as realistic as flying to the mars. From my perspective.

About the materials: The download should inlcude a folder named "Guides & Readmes".  In that you should find material guides, those ones:
Metal Guide.PNG
Misc Material Guide.PNG
Wood Guide.PNG

I personally do not work on the Wiki, since I write the Manual, check this thread and that is quite sufficient work. The Masterwork Wiki does have a link in this thread, first post, but if you like to add a bit of publicity to the main DF Wiki that would be great. :)

I will check up on the tweaks about the metals, but I honestly did a lot of work on them for the next version already. I will see if what you found is still an issue. " 'Slade' is still [UNDIGGABLE] " well, yes it is. But you can build a Magma Factory that can compress 10 stones into 1 slade boulder. :)

@werdna: The brick oven is for people who like megaprojects and above ground fortresses. It is not balanced and does not try to be. I thought about adding fuel, but that would defeat the purpose. It is just a way to allow players to build in any color they like. I hope not too many people abuse it.

@bouyancy: Migrants bring those since V.34. Vampires might bring a lot.
@tivec: I nerfed egg number for those, cant tell you why the population explodes after reclaim.
@unclecern:
Do you have "Megabeasts Option" set to YES in settings? I used to have such crashes and disabling those helped.
Really ? -.- Might have been of interest to me as well, I cant remember you mentioning it anywhere before.
@p-luke: Could you please tell me the last entry in your gamelog before the crash ? You can find it in the main DF folder, a big .txt most likely.
@nivec: A DF problem with truetype. Just press F11 twice(windowed and back to fullscreen) and it is fixed for a while.

About the armors: I tried to avoid these ridiculus 100 pieces of armor on one dwarf. The armor rating btw does absolutely nothing, it is not used by DF currently. ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:35:54 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Buoyancy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it's vampires that are bringing those pieces of their victims?  Between two vampires I've got about 9000 items that refuse to be autodumped.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Well, I read a report about a guy with a vampire having 4000 pieces of jewerly in an unmodded game, so I guess it is a vanilla problem. Atomsmash or trade away :)

EDIT: Oh, I remembered someone asking about landmine upgrades a long time ago, so I also made 2, the hellfire and the dryice mine. Can be bought from caravans, OR you can upgrade your own fire/ice landmines in the engineer. More a test then anything else. Here the arena test for hellifre, dryice it not quite as lethal.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:51:46 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

So it's vampires that are bringing those pieces of their victims?  Between two vampires I've got about 9000 items that refuse to be autodumped.

dfhack has a way of doing it - check the readme.  I think the trick is to use "cleanowned" to strip ownership from the items.  Careful though, as I've always use this to take care of clothing via the 'scattered' and 'x' options, never tried it on vamp jewelry.  I think the 'all' option can be a sharp knife - I don't know if it will also select things like your military's gear or a miner's pick to dump. 

It's nice, but it wouldn't be worth it at all if it consumed fuel.  it converts 2 stones (or clay, apparently?) -> 4 blocks, only saving 2 stones relative to the mason. 

It consumes clay (which are called "boulders" when collected I think).  Basically you're generating blocks without any digging at all, or at least nothing more than it takes to reveal a clay tile for collection, and the few stones needed to create a kiln and oven.  Its very nice for creating early structures without needing to disturb the embark with barely any digging at all.  Its certainly a welcome addition for megaprojects.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile

Meph, I know implementing landmines as creatures is probably not ideally what you wanted, but I think its very entertaining every time my landmines start waddling off toward intruders.  I am beginning to visualize them as clockwork versions of those little waddling bombs in Mario Brothers...

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

It consumes clay (which are called "boulders" when collected I think).  Basically you're generating blocks without any digging at all, or at least nothing more than it takes to reveal a clay tile for collection, and the few stones needed to create a kiln and oven.  Its very nice for creating early structures without needing to disturb the embark with barely any digging at all.  Its certainly a welcome addition for megaprojects.

Oh i see, you're comparing it to firing bricks from clay, which consumes fuel if you do it at the kiln.  Interesting.  I hadn't thought of that, So far I'd only used the Brick furnace to turn regular rock boulders into colored bricks.

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

I've fallen in love with this mod, but I'm very frustrated with the fact that every fortress, at some point, crashes.
Usually when I have about 60 dwarves, the game just suddenly crashes. Even if I then reload the game, the game crashes at the exact same moment. I have a feeling that it's because of an underground monster spawning (I tried to reload the same crashing game about 20 times, until eventually it worked past the crash, to find out that an "uninvited guest" appeared underground.

Could it be that all the new monsters, animals and creatures are prone to break the process that randomly makes underground monsters?
Did you check if the game is running out of memory? If you have many programs open or low RAM in the first place, it can happen. In any case the game cannot use above 2 Gigs of RAM without crashing (Unless LAA-patched, about which we don't know if it can cause more crashes). Also, AFAIK there are still some TrueType related crashes on the bugtracker, so try turning that off.

Maybe upload your save that crashes somewhere so we can try it (tell us which Masterwork version you're using) to know if the problem is in the game or on your computer.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@unclecern:
Do you have "Megabeasts Option" set to YES in settings? I used to have such crashes and disabling those helped.
Really ? -.- Might have been of interest to me as well, I cant remember you mentioning it anywhere before.

At least 2 times, but that was long time ago and since then I still play with megabeasts off :]

Anyway - can't wait for toady to fix clothes so we can have those in MWDF. Do you think implementing clothes back will be hard here?

EDIT: I have an issue with gypsum. I can not make it to the powder at klin, I have bags and gypsum availible, gypsum turned on and off in economic stone menu. Can't make this damn thing working.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:14:16 pm by UncleCern »
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

id say hell make it toggleable, since it will still slow fps some, just not the crushing horrid amount it used to.

Cato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've bumped into a strange behavior with the new mages. So I got an immigrant necrofighter (Has a demon bound to their will... etc., in the description) in the 2nd wave of immigrants (was that supposed to happen) and her daughter (a child) who has learned lifemagic (the ones that can resurrect). So the strange thing is that eventually the necrofighter went to sleep and kept on sleeping. In fact they stayed asleep long enough that they died of dehydration. Wasn't too bad because the daughter came by and resurrected them. Then she went and fell asleep and started dehydrating again. Is there something I'm missing that they are supposed to need or is this not quite working as intended?
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 749