Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835447 times)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

meph - i've done some testing, and while i can get sprite transparency working with bitmaps very easily (just by using that pink color), getting it working with .png files doesn't seem to work! i've tried a few different .png transparency settings and nothing works. any thoughts?
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page

Yeap, the drawback is those WASTE a lot of ore.

@meph - if toady fixes the hardcoded clothing bug will MW use clothes again?
Well, I am not Meph, but removing the clothing was not just for the buggy things, it also makes lot less items to track, inducing much less fps loss per dwarf.
So I think if he puts it back, it will be on an optionnal basis.

Is this for sure? Do "lots of items in the game world" really cause an FPS hit?

I can't confirm this 100% since the core game's code has been also optimized in the latest few patches, but ever since I've played Masterworks, my FPS is higher than I've ever seen it. And this regardless of Siege, activity and whatever. Before the patch (about a year ago) I did some tests by deleting all the clothing, and I could see some FPS gain, although limited since I didn't disrobe all my dwarfs. But seriously, there is definitely FPS Loss related to over abundance of items. I've had 150-ish dwarfs in 8-9 year fort, running at 120 FPS. Back in the day I think that once I'd hit 100 dwarfs around the 5-6 year mark, my FPS would definitely be somwhere around 30-40 FPS. And Sieges just made it drop even more.

So no idea what exactly is causing this upsurge of FPS in my neck of the woods, but It's extremely awesome.

And from what I understand, clothing is still there, and there is an option for it. But you have to manually make your dwarfs wear it? I'm still new to this mod so I'm unsure what precise changes were done to how clothing is handled.
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And from what I understand, clothing is still there, and there is an option for it. But you have to manually make your dwarfs wear it? I'm still new to this mod so I'm unsure what precise changes were done to how clothing is handled.

Technically clothing does not decay/destroy over time and works as armour so one has to make a militia squad to equip dwarves with it. I'd love to see my dwarves using clothing normally one day ;]
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to see my dwarves using clothing normally one day ;]

Toady is working this out at this very moment. So rejoice! ;)
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

Darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Real Dwarfs don't need Clothing :D They need only Armor
Deutsche Dwarf Fortress Wiki im Aufbau:

http://dwarffortressde.wikispaces.com/

Bei Interesse oder Kritik bitte an mich

DorfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't know if its a bug but a masterwork wooden musket has been smouldering in my weapons stockpile for years now.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to see my dwarves using clothing normally one day ;]

Toady is working this out at this very moment. So rejoice! ;)

UncleCern has been ecstatic lately.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

@dorfmeister: Is it an artefact ? They burn forever...

Toady is fixing the clothing bug...
Well, if clothing works like intended, without being claimed and cluttered, rotting and decayed... then it will be back in of course, as an optional setting. Currently clothing can only be made from leather/scales/chitin and counts as armor.

Frost Giant Thieves are a necessary evil, otherwise they wont be hostile. I have to give them the babysnatcher tag. OR give them utterances, which leads to them not having names, nobles and a language. If I make them crazed they fight among themselves, and if they are opposed_to_life they lose their AI and dont siege. Only way is babysnatching/thieves. All the evil civs must have this.

Nerfing them... well, Hugo made the body for me even before I released the mod for the first time. I guess I could have a look with me newly learned skills and build them up from scratch. OR you guys learn all the fancy new things I added, a MountainKing can take out a frostgiant siege all alone. If I give you overpowered mages and shapeshifters (and a frostgiant slayer that makes 50 times as much damage to them) then you can use that. ;)

PPS: Lots of items in the game world is FPS killer number one, since the pathfinding is linked to them. Find the best path to 1 from 10 items is easy, while finding the shortest route from workshop to raw materials with 1000 items is hard. (temperature if you have flowing magma is also evil)

I am running a test fort and try to find more flavor/inbalances/bug related stuff, so no release today ;) My todo list (just from the finds in this fortress) is about 1,5 pages. Errorlog is clean, it's just balancing or flavor. I had some fun moments too, a goblin thief with a "badly made steel slica", a race with a forest fire, an artifact crossbow with the picture of a sharpshooter on it, and a rather weird memorial slab. (1,5 years old fortress so far, no cavern breach, no siege, no humans/drow yet)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

PS: If anyone can fix the transparency, even with using bmps that would be great.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 03:14:54 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To everyone voting option 2 on the poll, please read the text next to it, the adamantine requirement is to make magic a high end weapon, not something you get by the first winter, that is all.

@Meph, interesting defense method. keeps traders funneled to your fort, while allowing invaders to spawn anywhere.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

couldn't you make it that anything stone offends them or something? like the elfs hating all trade of wood
like all good civs hate cannibalism and all bad civs think that's great
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ethical differences don't 100% guarantee hostility.

DorfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Waiting impatiently for your next release here.

Me last fort got endless siege and if em to start a new one it surly must be with some shiny new magic :]

...any ideas for ending an endless siege? tried to immolate everything but that just exploded me drinks :/

...prolly tiss be some flying bugger stuck somewhere me cannot see.
Blasted floating greenskin pestis!!!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Found a little problem with the blueprints. Humans bring tome of life and normal blueprints. Drow bring grimoire of death and magma blueprints. Elves dont bring any. All good so far. But dwarves can bring the scroll of fire, and... all blueprints ever. Because I have the tech lab, and the tach lab can make blueprints, of course the dwarven homeciv also has the tech lab. doe.

Rest works perfectly, the humans bring weapons and ammo, even handcannons and cannonballs (epic unique weapon of the human civ) and even the caravan guards have guns and ammo now, and use them :)

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

hey Meph, im having a hell of a time getting a world with Drow, even with only 25 years of history, its an issue as for major features* to develop in the world in ways that actually affect fortress mode, you need at least 100 years of history.

*well spread civs, inter-civ enmity, necromancers, etc.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

in two tries both times the guild halls seems to use up the Steel Legion permit, is that working as intended? (5 coins and several work jobs is probably a fair price for joining the guild, just that it's counter to the tool tip)

i have some issues writing books, but if i understand your dev-logs, it's already fixed -- i am pretty sure the problem comes from them putting the ink in a jug half-filled with pottery glaze

this has been a fun game, the Drow were hostile since they got their caravan killed by a Were-elk, and I got lots of decent gear from defeating their small armies.  Playing around with runic weapons, now that I understand the little bit of "equip" micro that is required, they're very cool.  Just using small squads and "equip specific weapon" for the runics.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:54:44 pm by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 749