Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1835330 times)

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MAGIC SYSTEM IS FINISHED.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I came up with a system based on adamantine, and some magic specific items. Not much. Evil takes totems, bodyparts and bones, good takes weapons, armor, food and drink, dwarven magic takes obsidian, wood(for fire) and ash. Thats all.

Each type has 2 units and 1 shapeshifter (lasts for 10 days)

Evil
Shadowmancer = Raises dead, shoots solid blood, can vanish into shadows
Demonbound = Makes people slow, sick (vomit) great melee fighter, can vanish into shadow
The Unnamed one = Super unit, kills entire sieges. Problem: 50% chance that he will be hostile. Back to normal after 10 days.

Good
Lifemancer = Ressurects dead, heals injured, makes people faster.
Oathbound = Great melee fighter, blinds people (against archers) and has nofear, nopain and so on.
The Angel of Vengeance = Super Unit, might be too strong, will test more. Can shoot fire and ice.

Dwarven Magic
Magmamancer = Ranged fireballs, fireimmune, IF he ever gets hurt and flees: Blows up. Kills everything nearby.
Stonebound = Stoneskin (actually a bit better then stone) earthquake (all nearby enemies are stunned) and petrify (stops one unit)
The Mountainking = Super Unit. Cant equip, but is indestructible. Must test more, but looks good.

very interesting developments on the magic front! can't wait to try it out =) some initial thoughts, though:

- the old unholy building looks, to my eye, considerably better and more building-like then the new one. the chains are an interesting addition - keep them for the dwarf/magma one, but for the old one, why not keep the more solidly-walled temple feel?

- i honestly like the old blood/summoner building quite a bit, too - maybe better then the dwarfmagic magma one with the chains, if you brighten up the middle pool. maybe i'm just not a huge fan of the chains-as-walls look, and think that having the buildings appear somewhat consistent is an asset...! that must be it =D

- why not call "The Unnamed One" something like "Unnameable One"? for starters, removing the "The" from all of them cleans up the text and makes more sense considering you can conceivably have more then one at once - and "unnamed" things can always be named, thus taking away their claim to fame, while "unnameable" things just can't be, by definition =D

- why not change the "Mountainking" to "Mountain Spirit"? "king" would seem to imply actual royalty, and if you've already got a noble king in the mountainhalls, there might be some confusion...

- no need to have three different "mancers" if it sounds weird! i say stick with the "Lifeweaver" - it sounds better then "lifemancer", because "lifemancer" is a weird combination of english and latin that doesn't really make sense. you could have a "biomancer", or a "vitamancer" (vitamin magic!?), or something, but doesn't merging english and latin like that just sound off??

- you should probably change it to "spinning blur" rather then "spinning insanity" - insanity is a bit too abstract of a concept to  physically rotate in space, and so it just sounds wierd, IMHO =D maybe "bloody spinning blur"? similar idea - "lures other to the dark side" could become "lures souls to the dark side", which seems like it would work better. also, "does unspeakable horrors" could be "utters unspeakable horrors", because to "do" an unspeakable horror, while conceivable, might take a little while, and perhaps has other problems as well. finally, the "drain life" text could be changed to "drains the life of those nearby, adding it to their own!"

- also, the transparency in the .png graphics files still doesn't seem to work. i can change the background color, and set transparency (i think) when my photo editor saves the file, but it doesn't seem to be recognized in the game! with BMPs it works fine, but i'm not seeing it work right in .png files. i'm using xee as a graphics viewer and editor, btw, which is fantastic - very lightweight and fast.

Here are some excerpts from my creature_domestic.txt for the cow and horse.  Could the YES[GRAZER being together cause the issue?

the syntax on that grazer tag looks weird. shouldn't it just be [GRAZER:6000], not YES[GRAZER:6000]?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:07:53 pm by sayke »
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

HeshieokFasla

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I just got attacked by a Thunderbird in the First Winter of my fortress. I only have 23 dwarves.

I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be happening. Just thought I'd let you know.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile

I just got attacked by a Thunderbird in the First Winter of my fortress. I only have 23 dwarves.

I'm pretty sure that shouldn't be happening. Just thought I'd let you know.
I had a roc attack when I only had 14 dwarves. It got murdered by a bull kicking its skull in, though.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of things that shouldn't be happening, changelog says golems work but mine keep running away, anyone have an idea what i'm doing wrong?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@sayke: ok please don't quote massive posts without spoilering them.

I like some of your grammatical corrections, but the 'mancer' and 'bound' ending are supposed to reduce confusion for new players, not to be the best sounding names, consider others too  ;)

Mountain spirit and Mountainking are pretty similar, so im not sure if that change is needed, but it would be ok. i just think meph is trying to pick a name that just screams, this guys gonna crush everything.

DorfMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no fighting sounds in soundsense, only when someone dies. Any way to turn battle sounds on?

...no matter, found it!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:59:10 pm by DorfMeister »

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I like the name "mountainking". Reminds me of Edvard Grieg. But I think it has to be "Mountain King"

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

bombzero - fair enough! fixed the spoiler thing - i thought that tag would be copied automatically but alas it was not =) i don't think the "mancer" and "bound" thing would drastically reduce confusion for new players because they're going to read the manual... and it's not clear what a "bound" and a "king" would have in common, regardless, right? either way - i'm largely interested in the aesthetics, and i think people will look at the guides etc and know what's going on.

but i could be wrong!
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile

I like Mountain King better than Mountain Spirit.  Some others could be Mountain God, Stone God, Adamantine Avenger ;D, Candy Man..ok, I digress...Mountain King is as good as any.

zach123b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

googled greek god of stone, came up with hephaistos, sounds a bit weird to english but... he was in charge of metalworking, most armor/weapons used in greek mythology was made by him

in roman mythology there's vulcan, governed volcanoes and fire of harm and beneficial

the arch angel Micheal governed fire but Micheal doesn't have much of a mysterious sound to it

hows "Vessel of Vulcan" or "Host of Hephaistos" or vice versa instead of mountainking?
(just ideas)

~most of this was from wikipedia btw :p
"IT'S WORLDGEN TIME!"
"No, Meph, No!"

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I distilled water from booze in the still but it gives me a stack of 25 water just sitting there, not in a barrel or bucket. Tried to dump it but that does nothing so it's just sitting there defying the laws of physics.  The press water from leaves reaction seems to work fine though. I needed water to clean a wound in the hospital but the doctors didn't use the still water so I had to get the press out.

I have got a magma pool underneath my frozen ponds at the top of the volcano but they have frozen over again for some reason, deconstructing my wells. :<

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After a bit of playing.

Can the elemental blobs from elven caravans reproduce? if so at what rate? Having them reproduce at a decent pace may help in the  special ammo industry.

My elven caravan got goblin jacked and that left me with 4 free if wounded magma hounds a wounded grizzly bear and some blobs  :o  The drakes burned in the magma hounds counter attack or at least got killed somehow in the scuffle :(

Copper and iron barb wire is damn serious. I had a hallway for trade caravans to enter partially covered by barb wire (the first level of barb wire un-upgraded) i'm not sure how it worked but at one point I saw a few orc and zombie corpses just pop up on the barb wire. Apparently a 3x5 hallway of the stuff is enough to bleed an orc/zombie to death. IF the old way you described barb wire as being 3x weak attacks it may need to be LVL 1 = 1 attack LVL 2 = 2 attacks LVL 3 = 3 attacks. Either that or copper and iron are bugged to be seriously deadly. Granted a goblin archer squad made it past the traps so the orc/zombies might have just been unlucky. If zombies bleed that should probably not be happening to avoid situations like this. Zombies should require battering rams mashing them into paste  :D

I share torgons problem with purify water from alcohol. It just sits in the workshop and no one will pick it up.

Do not open potential spoilers within
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:40:58 pm by Ranik »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile

Silkworn need hives, like bees. And instead of harvesting wax, you harvest silk. :) Needs the beekeeping skill.

Cool, right.  Any idea how do I get them in the hive?  My hives are all filled with bees.  How do I even get the silkworms out of the cage?  When i build the cage and use the (a)ssign menu the dwarves will move them back and forth between an installed cage and an empty animal trap.

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One of my turrets has started shooting at my dwarfs! :o  It has killed half a dozen, but the military won't acknowledge it as a valid target. Anyone else have this happen?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 05:26:29 pm by Zeebie »

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile

Granted a goblin archer squad made it past the traps so the orc/zombies might have just been unlucky.
It's actually because goblins are [TRAPAVOID]. That doesn't mean it's a fair match against my axelord, though.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 749