Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1809126 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - for 34.03. Rebalanced.
« Reply #1980 on: March 04, 2012, 06:07:22 pm »

@poll, as i said tanning shells has annoying implications, i am strictly against it unless the new tanned shells can replace shells for moods.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1981 on: March 04, 2012, 06:11:54 pm »

Put butcher in military, station on menacing spike, hit once.  Btw we are talking about killing babies here, but then again he is a necromancer ^^

collapsed stone is good, gave me the idea of: collapsed brick. This sounds more like something manmade. collapesed brick wall/floor is ok as well.  Another option would be "rubble" but it does not quite sound right.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: March 04, 2012, 06:35:22 pm »

well, if he was at least a child, I would try to make use of him, effectively walling myself off and letting zombies roam as the ultimate defense, but an adult would be the best for this (can get food/drink for himself).
I think I will go for the pike solution, it might also level my doctor if the mother somehow gets struck.

In dwarf fortress, we don't talk about killing baby, we talk about how to do it in a way that will cause the least problem to the rest of the fort, shame that the cats' way is no good (atom smashing), it is no fun (or too much) when they rise again as ghosts.

EDIT:
training spike killed the baby (cutting it in two in the lower body...) and "only" cut open the right arm of the mother.
Neither she, nor any family member seem to really care about the death, they all remain green in therapist, so crisis adverted, thank for the tip Meph.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:03:35 pm by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: March 04, 2012, 06:41:58 pm »

In my 34.03 game, Automatons and Frost Giants are immune to magma. Could be a bug. (Temperature is enabled, Goblins, Drows, Humans, etc. can easily killed with magma.)

Also (not a bug, but annoying) it is extremly hard to maintain a good relationship with other civilizations. Since ambushes with 20+ hostile creatures are coming the same seconds as the trading caravan, the trader dies quickly. Drows and humans are now sending attack forces instead.

Also, maybe interesting: I never got a baron or anything in ~7 years.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:15:15 pm by mglarev »

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: March 04, 2012, 07:12:38 pm »

Put butcher in military, station on menacing spike, hit once.  Btw we are talking about killing babies here, but then again he is a necromancer ^^

collapsed stone is good, gave me the idea of: collapsed brick. This sounds more like something manmade. collapesed brick wall/floor is ok as well.  Another option would be "rubble" but it does not quite sound right.

Broken masonry? Shattered stonework? Buried ruins? Potsherds? Vast, non euclidean construction of soapy, greenish stone set at impossible angles of cyclopean dimensions?

I expect all of these to be in the next release. 

edit: ^^^ No Baron sounds odd, they definitely can be appointed though so if it's bugged it's specific.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:15:27 pm by SecondBreakfast »

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: March 04, 2012, 07:23:35 pm »

The baron should appear after a while. The liaison normally approaches you about it. Does not happen to me.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1986 on: March 04, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »

Baron should work, I had reports about them. Never played a long game myself though, so cant be too sure.

Also (not a bug, but annoying) it is extremly hard to maintain a good relationship with other civilizations. Since ambushes with 20+ hostile creatures are coming the same seconds as the trading caravan, the trader dies quickly. Drows and humans are now sending attack forces instead.

This is an absolutely intended feature. Even the manual and the very first post here say: Protect your visitors, keep them happy. ;) Try more scouts, watchtowers, chained animals, or make only one 3 wide path to a map edge, the caravan will always spawn there then.

I finished with another feature, tested golem (they can now be drafted as militia captians) but even if I assign kill labors (they accept the order and walk towards the creature) they flee upon contact. Stupid golem. Gave them prone to rage for the next test run. -.-

The free turrets should be nerfed now, the good ones (slade, warpstone, hellfire) shouldnt arrive with migrants anymore. Necros and Holys are nerfed as well.

Testing is slow, I need about 1,5 ingame years to do one slave testrun, and then wait for drows as well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: March 04, 2012, 08:36:14 pm »

Baron should work, I had reports about them. Never played a long game myself though, so cant be too sure.
Okay, I will test it again. Maybe the liaison gets always killed or something like that.

This is an absolutely intended feature. Even the manual and the very first post here say: Protect your visitors, keep them happy. ;) Try more scouts, watchtowers, chained animals, or make only one 3 wide path to a map edge, the caravan will always spawn there then.

Okay, see if it works.

Anything about the magma immune hostiles?

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:24 pm »

Looking forward to the next update ;p

Also, I don't know if this is some sort of bug but on almost every single generated world with the custom ones included, I never found lignite, or coal, or any other similar fuel source. But when I gen a normal world I almost always find both types of fuel sources.

Any idea why this is?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: March 04, 2012, 08:51:54 pm »

What does Warpstone even do???
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

mglarev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: March 04, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »

Also, I don't know if this is some sort of bug but on almost every single generated world with the custom ones included, I never found lignite, or coal, or any other similar fuel source. But when I gen a normal world I almost always find both types of fuel sources.

Any idea why this is?
I found lots of lignite and other fuels in the garden of gaia world.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: March 04, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »

Any idea why this is?
I found lots of lignite and other fuels in the garden of gaia world.

I usually use the "diverse" one. I'll try garden of gaia since I've only been embarking in good biomes lately anyway.

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: March 04, 2012, 09:09:26 pm »

I got a nice way for caravans to have more chances to be safe:

Take an embark where a corner of your embark includes the corner of a river.
Even better if this corner is the only part of this river on the embark site.

It will leave you with a thin band of land in a corner of your map, barely enough to fit a wall, ramp or bridge.

Make this your only access to your depot, and place a turret/chained animal for extra safety.

Now, your caravans will only have two things to fear: archers that shoot as soon as they arrive on the map (you can't build a wall all the way to the edge), or enemies that spawn in that little corner too (quite unlikely, except for thiefs that will also try to choose an open way to your fort apparently.

Be careful about the rest of the map, and provide easy access points, because liaison officer tends not to spawn with the caravan, thus being in terrible danger in lands you nearly never even scout usually, that is if you wall yourself in.

Doing this, I managed to get both my fort and my caravans to survive after the first couple years, and I set up some air locks for the migrants in the access points to be sure not to take enemies in while migrants come.

The only problem left is the liaison, except when you can basically let your military roam freely on the map, you will always have trouble protecting them.

Hope it helps, and if someone has other tips like this, don't hesitate, it's always good to have a way to make some things safe in these worlds with so many civilisations out to kill us.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: March 04, 2012, 09:11:28 pm »

Looking at the OP, it mentions "autistic dwarves". Looking at the raws to see how much of a horribly insensitive trainwreck it is, I noticed that there actually isn't any mention of autism at all; it seems like you're going more for savants, which is what it's called in the mod anyway. I would recommend not referring to them as "autistic"; being autistic and having savant syndrome are not the same thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Vhorthex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Medieval Nerd - Youtube Page
« Reply #1994 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:28 pm »

Any idea why this is?

I think it's a random curse, I had the same issue a few times in past games. But started my first one with this version and boom, bituminous coal everywhere. :D
Vhorthex
Patience is a virtue.

Miss old PC-DOS gamse? Check out my YouTube page for 10 Minute videos of ye olde games!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMedievalNerd?feature=mhum
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 749