Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1834682 times)

Dudemeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder, and this is purely pondering, if there is a way to have a building/storage/something that lets you store large volumes of stones in a non fps impacting way. Right now we mass destroy either through building or traditional atom smasher method. Problem is that is permagone. If you decide down the road 'yaknow I really could use that 14000 stones' you're out of luck, you need to find/mine/buy those stones. If there was a way to combine them into say 'Storage Building: 15000 XYZ stone'. I guess the brute force way would be series of buildings that cost staggering amounts of material that could then be later deconstructed to the base stones. Not sure if there is a more graceful solution that would let you then add to it getting Storage Building: 15374 XYZ stones.  Maybe a container built to hold stone alone and just staggering numbers for them but I think the game still treats them as individual objects then and you lose the performance gain of getting the 200k gabbo off the map.

I think, you could make a workshop and some reactions with [REAGENT:A:100:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY] and [PRODUCT:100:1:sometoythinghere:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
and write a custom toy "box", that would be stored in the finished goods stockpile.
Or instead of the toy, make for every kind of stone a new stone and then a reactions with 100 oldstone -> 1 newstone and one with 1 newstone -> 100 oldstone. Those could be stored at the stonestockpile. Or you could use a block instead of a boulder.

Just some wild guesses though. Not sure, if it would work.

Edit: I think the first method could be problematic, as i don't know, how GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT works. You could get a toy out of 1 useless stone and 99 you want to safe and end up with 100 useless stones. The second method would be better, but require much more work and two reactions for every kind of stone, plus one custom stone for every original one. The question would be, if it would be possible to forbid all other uses of this stone.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:57:49 pm by Dudemeister »

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

As far as release plans go, I'd suggest a release once you're satisfied with the bugfixing/balancing, then do another release adding just 34.03 compatibility (so we know if new problems were introduced by your fixes or by Toady's changes) and any forgotten fixes, and then start adding slaves and stuff :) .

Oh, and pet peeve of mine, I think that feature releases should be numbered 1.3, 1.4, etc, while bugfix releases to those features are 1.4.1, 1.4.2, and so on. Makes it easy to know which version to shoot for if you want trouble-free gaming rather than bleeding-edge experiments.

Thanks for your impressive dedication.

Edit: and just a heads up, 34.03 crashes if you export the map image after generating the world.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:02:58 pm by isitanos »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

NO NEW DOWNLOAD.

Just wanted to let you know what I have done so far. About the formats/white space in the raws: They dont matter, really. The only ones I keep tidy are entity_default and reaction_masterwork, since these are the most important ones.

For the next release I plan to add some adventure mode stuff, and the 34.03 version. I wont make a release for 34.02 now, since TodayOne fixed crashes. No sense in releasing a version that intentionelly includes crashes...

Storing big amounts of stone does not work, since they are still recognized by the game. Same clutter/fps probs. But if you need unlimited stone: Use the klin to burn clay. Gives you a free boulder, and just ONE tile of clay is enough for unlimited boulders. Magma Kiln + Bag + Collect Clay = free stones for constructions.  Mh... I could move my brick reactions to the kiln, making more space...

Runes: Cloth is a textile, I dont want cloth on the weapons, but metal strands woven into the weapon itself. No cloth here.

Flowcharts: Was wondering about that. The manual is updated, but I dont have any graphics for it yet.

EDIT: Wow, that way easy. 34.03 is done. No dfhack though, obviously.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:33:54 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

I wonder, and this is purely pondering, if there is a way to have a building/storage/something that lets you store large volumes of stones in a non fps impacting way. Right now we mass destroy either through building or traditional atom smasher method. Problem is that is permagone. If you decide down the road 'yaknow I really could use that 14000 stones' you're out of luck, you need to find/mine/buy those stones. If there was a way to combine them into say 'Storage Building: 15000 XYZ stone'. I guess the brute force way would be series of buildings that cost staggering amounts of material that could then be later deconstructed to the base stones. Not sure if there is a more graceful solution that would let you then add to it getting Storage Building: 15374 XYZ stones.  Maybe a container built to hold stone alone and just staggering numbers for them but I think the game still treats them as individual objects then and you lose the performance gain of getting the 200k gabbo off the map.

I think, you could make a workshop and some reactions with [REAGENT:A:100:BOULDER:NONE:NONE:NONE][WORTHLESS_STONE_ONLY] and [PRODUCT:100:1:sometoythinghere:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
and write a custom toy "box", that would be stored in the finished goods stockpile.
Or instead of the toy, make for every kind of stone a new stone and then a reactions with 100 oldstone -> 1 newstone and one with 1 newstone -> 100 oldstone. Those could be stored at the stonestockpile. Or you could use a block instead of a boulder.

Just some wild guesses though. Not sure, if it would work.

Edit: I think the first method could be problematic, as i don't know, how GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT works. You could get a toy out of 1 useless stone and 99 you want to safe and end up with 100 useless stones. The second method would be better, but require much more work and two reactions for every kind of stone, plus one custom stone for every original one. The question would be, if it would be possible to forbid all other uses of this stone.
Small 1x1 workshop building that appears at the very bottom of the list, takes X amount of stone/material to build. One dwarf will grab all the stones and build it. Then when you need that stone you can deconstruct it to drop the rocks again. I have done this in my Mod and It works for my need.

Also for Meph and anyone else interested
The slavery testing (giving labor to a creature) so going well. You can never make them a noble (who would want a slave noble?) but at some point you can draft them to the military. Still needs testing to see what causes them to "magically" decide to join the army. I have a theory, but if it's true. Getting to effect to happen on demand is another issue.

Dudemeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tested the stonestockpiling. I made a custom stone:

[INORGANIC:GABBRO_BOX]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:gabbro pile][DISPLAY_COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:177]
[IS_STONE]
[MELTING_POINT:12160]

and two reactions:

[REACTION:GABBRO_PILE]
[NAME:stockpile 100 gabbro boulder]
[BUILDING:TEST:CUSTOM_G]
[REAGENT:A:100:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GABBRO]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GABBRO_BOX]
[SKILL:MASONRY]

[REACTION:GABBRO_PILE_UN]
[NAME:unstockpile 100 gabbro boulder]
[BUILDING:TEST:CUSTOM_SHIFT_G]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:GABBRO_BOX]
[PRODUCT:100:100:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GABBRO]
[SKILL:MASONRY]

Seems to work fine, though the first one takes quite some time, after collecting 100 boulders the workshop is very cluttered.
Maybe it would be better to include a box-thing as an additional reagent, that would have to be produced first, some custom toy or so. You would get it back in the second reaction.

Edit:
Small 1x1 workshop building that appears at the very bottom of the list, takes X amount of stone/material to build. One dwarf will grab all the stones and build it. Then when you need that stone you can deconstruct it to drop the rocks again. I have done this in my Mod and It works for my need.

Well, now that's much easier. Didn't think about that.

Edit2: On second thought, that would reduce only clutter and have no effect on fps i think, since in the workshop every single item is still listed. The other way you could reduce stone by 99% and still get it back, when needed.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 02:41:02 pm by Dudemeister »

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

meph - i just noticed that some of the new tiles don't seem to have the right background in some cases. for example, the frill lizards and armored horses seem to have black backgrounds, instead of transparent backgrounds like the other animals. this is probably just an alpha channel thing...?
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Yes, alpha channel. When I made them I just started modding, so all my custom sprites are non-transparent from that time ^^ Another thing for the todo list.

I think the box idea would work well. Replacing the loading/unloading stations, since no one seems to be able to use them correctly, even I have problems with them sometimes.

Take wood => make box.
Take box, take 25 stones => make "stone name" box. Stockpile it in finished goods.
Take "stone name" box => make 25 stones and an empty box out of it.

Problem: I would need to make a custom reaction for each material, OR they take random stones, but only respect the first one. Takes 1 gneiss and 24 raw adamantine, makes gneiss box ;)

But really, do you guys have problem with too many stones in this mod ? Even if, there still is the stone grinder to reduce the number, and the klin/brick oven to increase the number.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Dudemeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meph, you could send me a list of all stones in this mod (apart from those that leave only slime etc. and maybe the ores, adamantine, ...) and i could make custom stones and the reactions. Would be mainly copypasta, so not that much work. About the toybox, i could try, but i have never made anything apart from boulders. Started modding df yesterday trying to cheat a little, so i have no experience with this.

Edit: Oh, and the triggers, so it would still work, if you switch more/less stone in the .exe.

Edit2: small typo in the help. in the contents under quick guides it says metakworking instead of metalworking.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:00:53 pm by Dudemeister »

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh. I get a persistant crash a minute or so after my last save and i cant find the cause ... frustrating. Things were going fine so far ...

Is there an error log i could use (apart from the errorlog.txt, that doesnt tell me jack)?
Or a known bug list (aka "if you do that - bang! ctd" list)

any help would be appreciated!

thx
---=== Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam ===---

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i don't think there's too much stone in this mod... quite the contrary. between quantum stockpiles and the stonegrinder, it's all good!
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

I will have a look at flowcharts, wait for the updated dfhack and mouse fortress, and do a bit of balancing. But the bugfix/34.03 version will be uploaded tomorrow. Again, no new features, apart from the 3 new GUI settings and some reactions for existing buildings. Lot of balancing has been done though, but the manual is up to date.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh. I get a persistant crash a minute or so after my last save and i cant find the cause ... frustrating. Things were going fine so far ...

Is there an error log i could use (apart from the errorlog.txt, that doesnt tell me jack)?
Or a known bug list (aka "if you do that - bang! ctd" list)

any help would be appreciated!

thx

Its the damn elves! I knew it!

Last entry in gamelog.txt is always:

A elven caravan from "whatever" has arrived.
A Treasury Master fro "whatever" has arrived.

Then its CTD.

So now I seem to have the cause ... but how do i stop the elves from appearing? Can i modify file or something?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

My best guess is that this is one of the "historical figures" bug Today fixed for 34.03. Diplomat arrives on map, world ends. If they actually make it to the map, erase them with runesmith, otherwise no idea.

Nimrod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My best guess is that this is one of the "historical figures" bug Today fixed for 34.03. Diplomat arrives on map, world ends. If they actually make it to the map, erase them with runesmith, otherwise no idea.

Ah well. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I`ll just wait for your new version and start again. ;)

cheers

afftor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But the bugfix/34.03 version will be uploaded tomorrow.
Thats disappointing.
How about cloth backpacks/quivers btw?
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 749