Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1834413 times)

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

After some further testing with the basic world generation, it seems that some civilisations do manage to survive a 125 years.

But the reduction is quite drastic, here are the numbers for the last world generated (didn't note it for the others, sorry):

Dwarves 12 Fortresses at year 1, not sure if every one is a different civilisation, don't know how to check. Only 3 civilisations were left after the 125 years
Elves found only one starting point, but there are 2 civilisations alive after 125 years, so no idea how to see where they started.
Humans 10 starting points found, 2 civilisations standing at year 125.

So, yeah, the more you enable enemy races for challenging sieges in the future, the more you risk not being able to have the basic trade caravans that will let you prepare for this.

Well, I guess it only proves that the simulation is quite good, given the new invaders are made to be far more powerful, but it is a little harsh for the other ones.

Making them more powerful than they are is not that much of a good idea, it would also make the caravans immune to sieges and sneaky attacks that are the main point of deciding whether or not you wish to let them enter your fort;

For now, it will be a goodbye to any chance of seeing a dragon being actually strong (1000+ years), but at least I will be able to trade with all three civilisations, let's go for a 50 years, if not, to a 20...

Edit: back to Plains to generate my world.

50 years, no elf, no dwarves...
Ok, so I go to legends, and guess what?
Elves were not here to begin with, just a civilisation of ferric elves (fortress defense easy) that won't trade.
The dwarves died in year 31, done in by the bagderman civilisation.

Are you serious??

I really would appreciate if someone could tell me how this could even happen, mostly the elves not even existing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:17:38 pm by slay_mithos »
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you know megabeasts grow up faster in masterwork right?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did not, but I doubt they grow fast enough to be at full strength  by the age of 50.

Ok, after 10 more world generations, meddling with the parameters, I pushed the civilisation count from 20 to 30, and it seems to do the trick.

Year 50, got 2 human, 1 elven and 1 dwarven civilisations still alive.

It's a bit late today, but I'll play this tomorrow (it's 3:24 in the morning, so maybe "today").
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhh, Meph, I just embarked with an armoured horse, will i get meat if I butcher it? Will I be able to butcher it? And that's not supposed to happen right (embarking with a armoured horse that is)?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Ahhh, Meph, I just embarked with an armoured horse, will i get meat if I butcher it? Will I be able to butcher it? And that's not supposed to happen right (embarking with a armoured horse that is)?
You will get meat, you will also get "horse steel" which I think you can set for melting (not sure) It's a horse, just with metal is all. As for being able to embark, that is a question for meph :P

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

the embark pack animals can be any animal that is valid for pulling wagons, armored animals are modified original raws so yes, they can be available on embark.

if you are referring to purchasing them, that makes sense too, we can bring war grizzlys on embark.

kudakeru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For OS X users:

Sorry, I should have written a quick readme to point out that you launch the game via the df script, like the OS X version of vanilla.  This is the "default" Masterwork settings.  I started looking tonight at the best way to get the Masterwork version of Therapist up and running.  I sent Meph a PM for some info on the settings GUI so that I can work on building an OS X settings app.

Are people interested in having just a MasterworkDF.app that they can run?  What I'm thinking is it will launch the settings/utilities GUI, and you could use the play button from there to launch the actual game.

RysanMarquise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There are a pretty huge number of problems with adventure mode from this mod in the current version.

Many of them I am sure just must be problems in all versions that you don't normally care about.-Hellfire imps(or whatever they are called) burn themselves to death naturally, even without using any powers.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I've found one bug, or at least it's extremely overpowered if it's meant to work like this. I embarked with a weaponsmith savant dwarf and armoursmith savant so of course I set those to the max skill available at embark (proficient?). Now I've embarked they are both legendary weaponsmith and armoursmiths. It's nice but maybe a touch overpowered? :P

Just started playing DF again after the most recent update, really enjoying this mod. Top work.

Edit: problem half solved, the armourer/miner hit unstable warpstone and died.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:21:26 am by Torgan »

MYSTICBADGER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello, having embarked on a map with no lignite nor bit. coal, I'm wondering how to use peat. I've a layer of peat, but haven't found a "compact peat". Is that normal ?

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You will get meat, you will also get "horse steel" which I think you can set for melting (not sure) It's a horse, just with metal is all. As for being able to embark, that is a question for meph :P

I take it armoured horses can't reproduce normal horses?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

I take it armoured horses can't reproduce normal horses?
Can't reproduce at all, all armored pets cannot breed (the dwarves didn't want any  gaps of any sort in the armor ;) ) so get a normal pair of the beasties and breed them, then armor the children up

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Ok, lets go again:
Suicidal birds starving themselves to death is bad. I will remove grazing from egg-laying animals then, but reduce the number of eggs further. That ok ?

Armored animals are supposed to be buyable at embark. You can also order them from the caravans. I though that there is no reason why not. They have fitting values, and are more expensive. they also do not breed, they are made sterile (as befits any well war trained animal) EDIT( Actually, I think it could be done, that armored beasts give birth to non-armored beasts. Just make the armored ones a caste with pop-ratio 0. But then say goodbye to custom graphics, so I guess I wont do it) Currently they leave a "animal steel" upon butchering, but I want to have them drop either steel bars, or the armor back upon death, but thats a minor issue.

Adventure mode: It is not that I dont care about it, it is that I cant fix it, since I have no knowledge of the Adventure mode itself. Why do you think I constantly ask about things I should do to fix it, and have the notice in the first post about it ? Sadly, I get 1-2 small suggestions, but nothing I could really work with. If you know how to fix the issues, please, go ahead and I will add those fixes.

About races: Nice findings. I will increase the number of civs for the pre-set worlds then, and reduce the total population number of zombies/giants/automatons. Dont think that they will die out, tough as they are. I never tested what FD Races do to worldgen, that is darkflragrances (the authors) domain.

@mysticbadger: keep looking, compact peat can be found in peat. Otherwise: Magma, Wood, Alcohol+Oil... many forms of fuel in this mod.

@seraphyx: plants have biome tags. Try farming on a glacier for once ;) They also have to be accessable to the home civ, or you have to harvest and find seeds first.
___________________________________________________________________________________
And now, a little piece of work I did yesterday night. got a bit obsessed about the traps, so here I present, a completely finished trap upgrade system, with some rather... inventive features:

I tried to add several different ideas to make it more interesting. Here is what I came up with. I made 2 custom items, the "trap mechanism" which needs 2 normal mechanisms to be made, and the "trap pulley" which needs 1 mechanisms and a chain/rope. I also upped the number of bars you need to create them, spikes and wire need 2 bars, all other need 3 bars.I took spiked balls completely out and made 3 new trapcomps, ram, stake and barbed wire (these have been in the mod already)

Short Version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Long Version:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now... I made something totally new as well, I have never seen the like. I made two ranged weapons. Both way too big for dwarves, but you can put them into traps. You can only get them with a custom reaction.

The first one is a dart thrower. It uses blowdarts as ammo. Blowdarts can be upgraded, to have a paralyzing syndrome.  Poisoned darts need oil and 3 random plants for the coating. You can now build traps full of dartthrowers that shoot little darts at your enemies. Very Indiana Jones-like.

The second one... is a ward. A runic ward. Build a trap, add a ward, loaded with runes. Runes are a special ammo with syndromes. For testing I made 4 types: Sleep, Rage, Slow and Polymoprh. If these spells hit and get lodged in an enemy they will: fall asleep/go berserk/become very slow/transform into a hamster. Afterwards you can reload the wards with new runes. All kinds could be made. I think I can even disarm people, by transforming them for 1 tick to a creature that cant equip. They should drop all gear and be helpless. These effects sound overpowered, but remember: You need ammo, a creature without trap-avoid must step on it, get hit, ammo gets lodged. This does not happen too often. But then it is fun. :)

All is tested and works. I freely mixed all kinds of reagents and techs in this. I hope it is still understandable, I wanted to differentiate (is that a real word?) from my normal way, so you guys dont get a copy of an existing system, but a different one. More interestind, but not as easy to learn I guess.

Oh, a note: Stonefalltraps are of course still horrible, excpet if you use slade boulders, then they are only almost horrible. Cagetraps are still the non-plus-ultra, and work as always. I wish there were several trapavoid tokens, one for stone, one for weapon, one for cage-traps...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:29:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could you SOMEHOW buff up stonefall traps a bit? Those things hurl a giant boulder on, say, a goblin. I imagine it happening like in Indiana Jones. I know, if it was exactly like that, stonefall traps would be overpowered, but currently, they aren't even worth the tile they're placed on. Maybe give them bigger damage, but make them miss most of the time or something.
Otherwise, just remove them, and use their reaction slot for something sensible. In the current state, nobody uses them.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

The only thing about them I can change it this: Making every rock heavier. Only solution to what you propose.

What names should I take for the new workshop for traps btw ?

architect, builder, contriver, designer, deviser, director, inventor, manager, manipulator, originator, planner, schemer, sights, surveyor, technician ? Currently I use Engineer.

And for the evil civ: Dont know about it yet. Demons, Deadras (elder scrolls demons), lovecraftian things (i like) Human/Dwarven Cultists (see warhammer chaos) or deep/dark dwarves/drows (DnD) Phyrexians/thrulls (magic the gathering) would also be feasonable. Especially the phyrexians, but of course the name is ridiculus for everyone not knowing MtG.

Words for items, gear:
sinful, immoral, evil, angry, atrocious, bad, baneful, base, beastly, calamitous, corrupt, damnable, depraved, destructive, disastrous, execrable, flagitious, foul, harmful, hateful, heinous, hideous, iniquitous, injurious, loathsome, low, maleficent, malevolent, malicious, malignant, nefarious, no good, obscene, offensive, pernicious, poison, rancorous, reprobate, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, spiteful, stinking, ugly, unpleasant, unpropitious, vicious, vile, villainous, wicked, wrathful, wrong
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:06:57 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 749