Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

One or the other... vote once for #1 and once for #2.

#1: Put the Alarm Siren in the Military Garrison, it fits and is one buildings less.
#1: Keep the Alarm Siren seperate, I want to have it near my other levers.
#2: I have traded with Gnomes, build Artificer and Weather Control Station.
#2: I have NOT traded with Gnomes, did not have the chance to build their buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 749

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK-DF☼ V.3 - New release and old post. This will be locked later.  (Read 1834220 times)

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ Dwarf Fortress - 0.34.2 - updated phoebus/fixes
« Reply #1050 on: February 20, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »

I've searched the entire topic and the help file and don't know where else to look. I have a stray warpstone turret (tame) on my map, is it friendly? And if it is how exactly to I place it somewhere to use it?

Yes, they act like pets and came with a migrant.  Place it in a pasture to use it.  You could try a chain, but for some reason i don't think they fire when they're on a chain.

I kind of figured it out. Just made a 1 tile pasture and assigned it to that pasture. Still doesn't seem like the proper way to use them though. Hopefully they attack stuff when enemies come.

Didn't work, no idea how to do it ;p When they move to attack the enemy dwarves run out to grab them and put them back in the pasture. I'm thinking maybe surround them with fortifications since they should be able to shoot through? I feel like I'm missing something extremely easy and obvious lol... ;\
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:41:47 pm by Seraphyx »

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 20, 2012, 04:41:10 pm »

Dear fellow Dwarfling,
how sweet. ;)

Quote from: CheatingChicken
Stagnant water is "infectious" in just the same way as salt water. when stagnant water touches another body of water, all the water connected to it will instantly become stagnant, even if its a brook/stream/river.

Now the Problem is, when a tile contained water once, it will be flagged as stagnant for the entire game. So, even if you dry out your entire river, once there is water in there again, it will be and will stay stagnant. The only thing you can do is digging a reservoir in an area which has never contained (stagnant) water before. Then you fill it using a pump, since pumps always generate fresh water, as long as the target tile (where it pumps the water to) has never contained stagnant water before. Also make sure, that all pipes leading to and from the reservoir never did and never will contain stagnant water, or your entire reservoir is going to be stagnant again.

There is no way to directly "clean" stagnant tiles inside the game, but dfhack's "liquids" tool can remove the stagnant-flag from tiles. It's up to you to decide whether you consider that cheating, or not.

I hope my answer could help you understand this, perhaps it might also help some other dwarflings out here.

Urist McChicken

Uhm yeah i know but it's a bit anoying than how i say... at least the "k" say it that not all water in the stream is stagnate only in few squares near the (not connectet) pond show's in "k" that the water is stagnate in the other it say's "water". Tell me the "k" a lie? :o unforgivable! also when i place a floor or something in the dryd stagnate square? :-\

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: February 20, 2012, 04:56:51 pm »

rivers seem to be able to sometimes posses stagnant water, but other times be clean, i suspect the old stagnant/not stagnant has been changed somehow.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 20, 2012, 05:23:42 pm »

Slight success today. As I was preparing the new glacier world I have come across the evil mist (finally!). This means mists APPEAR (took me 13 embarks to find one though - must be my damn luck). Haven't seen evil rain yet which is good since I hate those (they screw the look of my glaciers by covering them with goo/filth/blood-snow).

Also - I love 95+% glacial worlds. They remind me the world of Arx.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 20, 2012, 06:59:10 pm »

@moogie: wow, you really did turn 90% of the mod off ^^ I never tested with this, and your errorlog can be fixed by turning "simple pets" ON and "archeology" ON, but none of thes should cause crashes. I am sorry, but I cant help. Try a clean download and hopefully you can narrow it down to one setting you changed. If this is the case, no one is more interested in it them me :) That the old golem tradegoods does not work porperly is because golems are no tradegood anymore. I have to remove it, thanks for reminding me.

Thank you for the respond. :)

I did more testing with clean installs of both vanilla DF, and Masterwork. It seems that the crash is happening to vanilla DF. The crash always occurs when worldgen attempts to finalize more than 1000 "sites". The last five times I've been watching, I see the counter reach the high 900's just before it closes.

Sorry for the trouble! I'm going to go check the bug reports now to see if this is a known issue.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1055 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:57 pm »

Maybe you reached the 2gb limit at worldgen.

I also have good and bad news:
Good: I fixed the errorlogs from "simple pets" and "archeology" OFF. (that moogie reported)
Good: Found a bug and fixed the Armory, which was disabled. Ups...
Good: Removed golem button, since they are no tradegoods anymore.
Very Good: Made a absolutely new system for castes. Called: Guilds. You can built a guildhall, and buy permit/letters of recommendation. This allows your dwarves to join a guild, the smiths, the crafters, the Legion, or a noble house. This way they get all the skill-learn-bonus that the castes have and select yourself who gets what. Works beautifully.

Very, very bad: I reached the limit for custom reactions. The game freezes automatically as soon as I reach a certain number. I managed to make some space by removing redundant magma related reactions, but I only have two options now:
1. No new reactions. DAMN
2. Delete old reactions. DAMN as well.

I already made a list of things I think of as unimportant. Glass beds, dismanteling of wooden furniture, the stone grinder being able to choose a specific type of stone (I could leave only 2 reactions in: grind economic/grind non-economic) and several batch reactions, that only do the same as the normal reactions.

Same goes for custom reactions for every material. I could trim it down to one material, or make it accept any material and have the results with: get material from reaction, but that would lead to a lot of micromanagement... this would be inacceptable for me.

Here is what I mean with different mats, this is just the javelin ammo:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 20, 2012, 07:29:05 pm »

Good: I fixed the errorlogs from "simple pets" and "archeology" OFF. (that moogie reported)
Very Good: Made a absolutely new system for castes. Called: Guilds. You can built a guildhall, and buy permit/letters of recommendation. This allows your dwarves to join a guild, the smiths, the crafters, the Legion, or a noble house. This way they get all the skill-learn-bonus that the castes have and select yourself who gets what. Works beautifully.

Very, very bad: I reached the limit for custom reactions. The game freezes automatically as soon as I reach a certain number. I managed to make some space by removing redundant magma related reactions, but I only have two options now:

I already made a list of things I think of as unimportant. Glass beds, dismanteling of wooden furniture, the stone grinder being able to choose a specific type of stone (I could leave only 2 reactions in: grind economic/grind non-economic) and several batch reactions, that only do the same as the normal reactions.

Same goes for custom reactions for every material. I could trim it down to one material, or make it accept any material and have the results with: get material from reaction, but that would lead to a lot of micromanagement... this would be inacceptable for me.

Well the good new is very nice, particularly the guild system.

As far as the bad news though, i'm all for simplification of some of the new custom gear and items as some of them are naturally useless or very nonsensical.

EDIT: To clarify some metals shouldn't even have access to weaponry. Gold in particular from that javelin example.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:34:14 pm by Ranik »

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 20, 2012, 07:34:25 pm »

Will the new mod release be compatible with already existing forts? or do I have to regen the world or start a new fort? (hope NOT as i finally found a nice evil glacier embark with deadly mists).
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

dragonly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 20, 2012, 07:41:41 pm »

I would start by doing away with the reactions for specific plant alcohols. While this is novel, it really isn't a game-breaker in the long run. You could consider leaving in the ones for the two-three highest value plants, but the rest don't do a lot for the modern fort.

As much as you say you dislike the get material from reagent type reactions, they really are worthwhile. I've done this for my glass industry, and am still able to manage the fortress specific colors I want by simply having my furnace product the colors I want and thus have that glass at the top of the pile.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1059 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:16 pm »

Code: [Select]
some of the new custom gear and items as some of them are naturally useless or very nonsensical.Please enlighten me, which ones do you mean ?

And I can make space for about another 20-30 without breaking anything, really... so not a problem for the near future, but I am saddened that there really IS a limit. At one point there will have to stop.  :-[

@compability: They never are. Only reaction changes can be added to existing saves. But you can finish your fortress before trying the new version, I wont force you to download it ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Ranik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 20, 2012, 07:48:04 pm »

Code: [Select]
some of the new custom gear and items as some of them are naturally useless or very nonsensical.Please enlighten me, which ones do you mean ?

And I can make space for about another 20-30 without breaking anything, really... so not a problem for the near future, but I am saddened that there really IS a limit. At one point there will have to stop.  :-[

@compability: They never are. Only reaction changes can be added to existing saves. But you can finish your fortress before trying the new version, I wont force you to download it ;)

Was thinking of weapons made out of materials not suitable for weaponry. Gold Javelins for instance.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: February 20, 2012, 07:49:23 pm »

Only reaction changes can be added to existing saves. But you can finish your fortress before trying the new version, I wont force you to download it ;)

So that means the changes regarding the fixed armoury, archeologist and things like that may be implemented in my current fortress as the new mod version comes out, right? Or am I terribly wrong about that?

slay_mithos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:58 pm »

I just figured out how to use the rock ammunitions...

The thing is, you need to add a new ammunition type (I didn't run your script, maybe that's why), and its in the "foreign" types.
Once this is done, there is no more problem, my hunter just went with a bulk of 50, so did my marksdwarves.

So it WAS a problem from my part, believing it was counted as normal ammunitions and not taking into account the PDF (just read it after finding this out).

Sorry for the false report earlier.
For the 55 people who did download V1.5 till now:  You human race is not working.
It is ok, I'm used to that in RL so why should my game be different :p
DFHack tips and tricks for your everyday tasks

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 20, 2012, 08:26:31 pm »

Rather than making it a totally generic reaction, how about soft metals can only be used to make hammerhead javelins & throwing hammers; while titanium and mithril only make sharp javelins and throwing axes?  You'd never probably want to make the opposite kinds anyway.  (Leave in the bad weapon choices from vanilla like adamantine warhammer, of course :)

Edit:  I see now that you kind of already do this.  Hmm.  I think if I was in charge of reduce it down farther i'd try this.  Cuts it down to 8, you never make the "wrong" kind from a material, if you have steel tech you still have any option of bolt type & finally, you won't use adamantine by mistake

Make heavy hammerhead (uses only copper, silver, gold, lead or etc.)
Make sharp pierce (uses only mithril, featheriron, etc.)
Make adamantine pierce (adamatine)
Make bronze broadhead (bronze or blackbronze)
Make iron broadhead (iron)
Make steel hammerhead (steel or damast)
Make steel broadhead (steel or damast)
Make steel pierce (steel or damast)

Guilds sound great.

Farming trees sounds too easy, unless they take a long time to grow  :o

Humans also died out in my last 2 worlds (i don't have a crazy number of civs: goblins, orcs, undead, naga, tigermen)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:43:54 am by smakemupagus »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »

Question.

• How exactly is regular iron not "fireproof", and why would adding flux stone turn it into "fireproof iron"? Don't we already have steel for that anyway?
  • You can't make glass out of most rocks, never mind obsidian. Obsidian is a rather specific thing; you'd not only need incredibly advanced processes, but you'd also need rather specific rocks. Bear in mind it's basically a silicate glass, and you can't just make glass out of any old rocks you find. This is pretty farcical, is all I'm saying.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 749