Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My Dwarves Are Busy  (Read 2491 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: My Dwarves Are Busy
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 05:53:10 pm »

Wait, why not just stock up on tons of booze and food, enough to last several decades, and kill all of the parents in an unfortunate, UNFORTUNATE accident?

Children of Fortresses.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2011, 05:54:35 pm »

Yeah, then you could have an awesome Lord of the Flies type fort going on.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

Send them all to the caverns. Construct as shaft leading directly to the caverns and use it to drop down food. First drop 77 units of food during the first month of the season on the last month of the season drop only seventy (Dwarves need 2 food per season). Next season drop down 60 units the first month and 50 the last month. Continue reducing the amount of food until you get to twenty and then just keep dropping down 20 units. The ones who are strong will survive off of slim rations and cave water and the ones who will remain will be the ones who overpowered the others fighting for scraps of meat, evaded the denizens of the cavern, and just generally badassed their way to adulthood.

Oh god I need to do this now, right now making a new fort.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 06:02:48 pm by Broseph Stalin »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 06:03:13 pm »

Send them all to the caverns. Construct as shaft leading directly to the caverns and use it to drop down food. First drop 77 units of food, during the first month of the season on the last month of the season drop only seventy (Dwarves need 2 food per season). Next season drop down 60 units the first month and 50 the last month. Continue reducing the amount of food until you get to twenty and then just keep dropping down 20 units. The ones who are strong will survive off of slim rations and cave water and the ones who will remain will be the ones who overpowered the others fighting for scraps of meat, evaded the denizens of the cavern, and just generally badassed their way to adulthood.

Oh god I need to do this now, right now making a new fort.

Or you could drop the parents into the caverns, and have the children wander the fortress alone, trying to make use of it all.

Basically, Children of Fortresses.
And Dorfs of Caverns.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 06:07:40 pm »

Or you could drop the parents into the caverns, and have the children wander the fortress alone, trying to make use of it all.

Basically, Children of Fortresses.
And Dorfs of Caverns.
I think you're overestimating how interesting children are, they'll essentially wander around talking for twelve years because they're too stupid to do labors. My version has the children being augmented by starvation, competition, and horrible cave monsters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 06:09:22 pm »

There are 71 children there. At least a few will grow into adulthood shortly, and have to look after the entire populace. Chucking them in the caverns doesn't stop the adults from spawning more Dwarves either.
(Or tantruming for that matter).

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 06:19:09 pm »

There are 71 children there. At least a few will grow into adulthood shortly, and have to look after the entire populace. Chucking them in the caverns doesn't stop the adults from spawning more Dwarves either.
(Or tantruming for that matter).
Now it's 95 on the 4th of Obsidian, 258, Late Winter ::)

How would I go about forcing 95 underage children into an area so I can drop them into the caverns without their parents?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 06:27:15 pm »

How would I go about forcing 95 underage children into an area so I can drop them into the caverns without their parents?

Moving children is a nightmare, the most reliable way is to build beds for them but that would be murder you could also use airlocks and burrow alerts but that would cause a few adults to get stuck down there with them, you could always make those adults kill themselves or have them on never ending fish/gather plants duty instead of dropping down food.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »

Moving children is a nightmare, the most reliable way is to build beds for them but that would be murder you could also use airlocks and burrow alerts but that would cause a few adults to get stuck down there with them, you could always make those adults kill themselves or have them on never ending fish/gather plants duty instead of dropping down food.
Bah... Children deconstruct stuff, right? So I could technically make all the adults do something then make the children deconstruct floor spam then trap them in a room?

Also, even the goblins are trying to help me with my... Problem...

The dwarf is dodging, the goblin is laughing....

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2011, 06:34:07 pm »

Bah... Children deconstruct stuff, right? So I could technically make all the adults do something then make the children deconstruct floor spam then trap them in a room?

Also, even the goblins are trying to help me with my... Problem...

The dwarf is dodging, the goblin is laughing....
That idea works, I need to get some children in one of my forts before I give it a whirl.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »

I find it funny that I was more concerned that you had only 70 drinks with 191 dwarves.

I actually wish I could get some kids in my fort.  I've seen a grand total of 2 marriages in my entire DF career.  Of course, one married couple can pump out quite a few kids... and I do get married immigrants sometimes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011, 06:59:33 pm »

I find it funny that I was more concerned that you had only 70 drinks with 191 dwarves.

I actually wish I could get some kids in my fort.  I've seen a grand total of 2 marriages in my entire DF career.  Of course, one married couple can pump out quite a few kids... and I do get married immigrants sometimes.

Force them into a bedroom for around 3-8 months. They will be ecstatic.

Oh and married.

Also secondary instant anti tantrum procrastination device.

Pillowtap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • This is my youtube channel.
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 07:14:21 pm »

Use their entrails to lubricate the machinery.
I'm doing a interactive Dwarf Fortress LP!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6l1otLWJSY

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 07:17:38 pm »

Create a very small dining area, in a developed fort 10 tables and chairs should do in a smaller fort a 1 square meeting area is just fine. Don't assign them any jobs for a while and they should start cranking out the little ones fairly soon.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:55 am »

Do what the aztecs do; 'get rid of' the parents and let the youngers inherit the lands! repeating this as the children grow older.

Yet another solution brought to you by magma.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.
Pages: 1 [2] 3