Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finally, a little ‼fun‼  (Read 621 times)

Hypotheses

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRAIGHT_FACE]
    • View Profile
Finally, a little ‼fun‼
« on: December 28, 2011, 06:51:14 am »

I've been playing for months now, most forts dying of boredom in year three.  Only saw one ambush, and two snatchers in this whole time and I've never been sieged, FB'd or otherwise. Had several forts over pop 120 and >2mil value, just- nothing.  Odd.  Today, I finally got my first FB.  Woo!!

The Forgotten Beast Sarek Oggez Shedim has come!  A gigantic three-eyed rattlesnake.  It has a broad shell and it squirms and fidgets.  Its aqua scales are blocky and set far apart.  Beware its poisonous bite!

My four man steel clad elite squad *might* be able to hold it back from the score of conscript marksdwarves.  Time to find out. >:)

Prepost edit: Decapitation! Victory is ours.  I pulled the crocodile release chamber and between 24 dwarves and some 20 crocs, it deid. 12 pages of combat reports, most of them with Sarek trying to stay conscious and an axelord biting it in the throat and ... eyelid?
Your brownies can be my skin graft.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Finally, a little ‼fun‼
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:00:27 am »

Feeling bored? Do what I do; download the Fortress Defence Mod (including hard mode), start next to an enemy civ plus a terrifying biome.

After a few reclaims, you really gotta rush your defence.
Fucking dark stranglers...
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Hypotheses

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRAIGHT_FACE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 07:02:29 am »

I guess I wanted to experience the vanilla enemies while I'm learning the military.  Kinda scared to jump into FD without ever having fought off a 'normal' siege.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:12:24 am »

I think a big part of the Fun factor in Dwarf Fortress is tied to worldgen. For instance, more FBs in the world seems to result in more frequent attacks, goblin sieges will only ride in on mounts if they've tamed them over the years, civilizations (particularly noticeable in goblins' case) are more powerful and developed the longer the generator runs, etc. Actually, larger worlds just seem to have more stuff in general. My most recent fort has suffered 4 forgotten beast attacks in the first three years. I believe it also helps if you have access to all of the cavern layers.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 07:18:04 am »

I make my forts fun by leaving the caverns open and the only way in through a barracks staffed by 20 or so dorfs, same for the entrance with pillboxes for marksdorfs as a last line kinda thing. Never a dull moment from FB's, sieges and crundle invasions
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Hypotheses

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRAIGHT_FACE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 07:39:10 am »

I forgot about the crundles- Forgot to seal the caverns but they died quickly when they pathed through the barracks. kekekeke  Just left em open after that hoping for more.  Did I get more? No. just a couple of giant pincusions toads.

Edit to avoid double post:
I should have anticipated the reaction to my petty victory.

"I winned!"
"Make it harder!"
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:42:13 am by Hypotheses »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 07:45:37 am »

I forgot about the crundles- Forgot to seal the caverns but they died quickly when they pathed through the barracks. kekekeke  Just left em open after that hoping for more.  Did I get more? No. just a couple of giant pincusions toads.

Edit to avoid double post:
I should have anticipated the reaction to my petty victory.

"I winned!"
"Make it harder!"

Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Hypotheses

• Bay Watcher
  • [STRAIGHT_FACE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 08:19:01 am »

Ambush no. two.  Killed half in the field, threw the rest into my pit-o-death for the whole army to feed upon.  They have taken joy in slaughter lately.  (does that work irl??)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:16:57 pm »

Set Titan number to 1000, Ramp savagery up and set civ number to 100, should give you a little bit more fun.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 01:12:26 pm »

my first uninvited guest to a good fortress was a giant with no hands, went down fast to some dwarfs with copper armor and weapons
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-