Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Decoupling Option  (Read 1009 times)

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Decoupling Option
« on: December 27, 2011, 10:01:28 pm »

Once you've connected a lever to a structure (a bridge, for example), the only way to decouple them seems to be the deconstruction of one or both, and removing one does not remove the mechanisms within the other.  To this end, I ask Toady to add an option at the lever to unlink a connection the lever has to a structure, which removes the mechanisms from both structure and lever.

Small thing, I know, but it seems like it could be quickly added with minimal fuss and help out people who accidentally link structures to the wrong lever in a Control Room.

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Decoupling Option
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 11:58:46 pm »

The first two links ask for a lot more than a simple decoupling option, and the other three are all pretty old (I'm not certain of how much things have changed since the 40d version; never played it).  I do know that Nate879's suggestion was identical to mine, but he posted it three years ago and hasn't been on in two (some forums have taboos against necro'ing exceptionally old threads or those from posters that have left the forums so I erred on the side of boldness).

And the beauty of decoupling means that you wouldn't actually have to always show which structures to which a lever is linked; simply go ask to decouple, see your options, and then back out.

I do like Fossaman's idea of a workshop-like control panel, even if it's somewhat anachronistic.  Didn't see that one when I was searching the histories.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 12:31:34 pm »

I wanna chime in that an option to decouple would be great and that being able to see what a lever is linked to would as well.  It's a good idea to put notes to keep track of these things, but most of us don't, and it adds an extra layer of no fun.  Plus decoupling would be really good for those times that you have one lever linked to multiple things and want to remove one.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 08:57:53 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23799.msg263225#msg263225
Everything's there. Mechanics probably will be getting an overhaul like the military. Take a look at the eternal suggestions list if you really want some specific issues to get more attention.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 09:38:41 am »

Small thing

I like it.  Small thing, with huge pay offs.  Anything that removes confusion, and adds a little more control, I am in favor of.  *thumb up*

It would sure beat tasking through all the possible links to elminate the actual link.  It gets hard to remember those links, from night to night, when playing a long winded game. 

I've had to come of up with mental images to keep from forgetting where I linked mine.  This could reduce the number of aspirin, I have to buy. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.