Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fixable Bugs / Removable Exploits / Workarounds LIST  (Read 3893 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Fixable Bugs / Removable Exploits / Workarounds LIST
« on: December 27, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »

Hi,

As not to derail the other thread I made here I wanted to ask a more specific thing here. I try to collect everything that is broken in Vanilla DF and fix it for a mod I make. I also would like to help the FPS a bit. A lot of things are known and the solutions are known, I just need a full list of the problems and the solutions. Help is welcome :)

GREEN means it is fixed.

BUGS
Kobold extinction in year 4 = Fix: Add no eat no drink
Dungeon master doenst train exotic pets = Fix:Exotic pet pag removed
No shells for moods = Fix: Add shell pet creature

Whips, scourges, and lashes are lightsaber = Fix: increase contact area by x10
Catsplosion (FPS death) = FIX: Remove [ADOPTS_OWNER] from cats OR add another vermin hunter.
Elf/Human diplomats are missing = Fix: add in entitiy raw
Pathfinding issue with flying mounts = Fix: Remove Flying Mounts from Invaders
Pathfinding issue with swimming mounts = Fix: Remove swimming Mounts from Invaders

Loyality cascade = FIX: Change[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PUNISH_CAPITAL] ???? Does not work
A lot of disabled/non-appearing nobles = FIX: Add them in the entity raw
Pandas starve, even while grazing. = FIX: Romve grazer tag
Invaders are not fully armored.

FPS:
Add SMALL REMAINS to enemy civs = no corpse clutter. OR Add custom Furnace to burn unuseable corpses.
(I will leave Corpses in, because of an idea I have with neg. value items. Also made them useable, by changing ethics in the entity raw, hope it works. Takes some time fore testing, have to wait for siegers...)
Invasion clutter = FIX: invaders without clothing, except armor.
Clothing rotting and clutters = Fix: all clothing is HARD and counts as armor, so no xxsockxx and no claiming

BALANCING:
Nerf egg number – Exploit fix (kind of ^^)
Add zoom and pause on Death of Citizen or Pet
Fix Grazing inbalances : Remove Grazing

Added trade liasons for Human / Elf Civs
Nerf trap components - exploit fix (no more only serrated discs)
Default disable booze/seed cooking

Nerf seasonal growth rate – Exploit fix (kind of ^^)
Usage of metal bars in forge is the same for everything = Fix: increase material by 150 for each bar wanted.

CHANGELOG:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anything missing, or better ways to fix it ?

Are fixes possible for woodcutting with training axes ? Any way of disabling danger rooms ? (anyway you dont want them, you dont build one)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 01:09:56 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Fixable Bugs / Removable Exploits / Workarounds LIST
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:04:49 pm »

No shells for moods is not really a bug. Besides, most of the ime you can get them by fisihing for turtles, oysters or mussels. I wouldnt say egg number is a bug either. I mean, people keep things like chickens for the eggs, right?

Other than those minor quibbles, a pretty useful list.
This is a blank sig.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 01:17:37 pm »

Shell: Sometimes you have no fish on the map (and all of them die out in long games) or the Civ has no access to them, so you can not order them. A lot of mods add a PET with SHELL. Thought it would be useful.

Eggs: Well, it is a personal point of view, but take 10 birds at embark (60 points) and all you food is solved forever. Just tweak the number of eggs a bit. Also some reptiles have (realistic) but gamebreaking high numbers. Tame cave crocs have: [CLUTCH_SIZE:20:60], meaning you get 20-60 hatchlings each time. Catsplosion par excellence and kills your FPS.

Added to bugs: Catsplosion
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 01:21:08 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »

Dungeon master doenst train exotic pets = Fix:Exotic pet pag removed - make sure to add [PET] or shorten [PET_EXOTIC] to [PET]

Loyality cascade = FIX: Change[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PUNISH_CAPITAL] ? No idea if it works - No fix because the killer becomes an enemy of your civ, and since he is a part of your civ everytime someone goes to attack him they become an enemy aswell. But if a creature thats from a different civ (Your Dwarf civ, and a completely sperate Dwarf civ) attacking them wont cause a LC because they are not your parent civ.

A lot of disabled/non-appearing nobles = FIX: Add them in the entity raw - You can add those missing noble jobs to current ones (Im acaully going to go through and remove some usless nobles in my mod, sooner or later :P)

Kobold extinction in year 4 = Fix: Add no eat no drink - just [NO_EAT] or can remove [BONECARN] and add farming to their entity so they can make enough food to survive. (But in my Mod I don't have any of these fixes and yet they still survive a 100 year world gen. I would rule out [USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] because they still have [BONECARN] and they lack the [PERMITTED_JOB:BUTCHER] they do have [PERMITTED_JOB:ANIMIAL_DISSECTOR] and I removed the [UNBUTCHERABLE] tag from some vermin maybe that's why they live, they eat rats?)

No shells for moods = Fix: Add shell pet creature - remove the [VERMIN] tags from turtles and add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [PET] (if it's missing) then is should be a really small pet that can be brought along at embark. And you can butcher it which will produce shells oh and make sure [UNBUTCHERABLE] is not on the turtle

Whips, scourges, and lashes are lightsaber = Fix: increase contact area by x10 - I forgot this fix, thanks for reminding me :P

Here is another Fix (kindof) remove [ADOPTS_OWNER] from cats, so that when a random cat dies someone that got adopted by it doesn't get "bad feelings" I had read a hurmorous joke about that somewhere on the fourms.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »

Updated the first post. Added a Changelog and splittet it in Categories, BUG, FPS and BALANCE.

Also fixed about half the the current list. :)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »

"Loyality cascade = FIX: Change[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:PUNISH_CAPITAL] ? No idea if it works - No fix because the killer becomes an enemy of your civ, and since he is a part of your civ everytime someone goes to attack him they become an enemy aswell. But if a creature thats from a different civ (Your Dwarf civ, and a completely sperate Dwarf civ) attacking them wont cause a LC because they are not your parent civ."

but they will be marked as an enemy/hero for killing the guy who kill the guy and killing the hero will mark you as a enemy of the Civ.
Though I haven't heard cases out side of Adventure mode and usually retiring changes the adventurer's civ slightly to prevent such events.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:18:43 pm »

@cascade: Argh... best to wall in/cage trap the dwarf then to stop that nonsense.

Several options exist to work at the Corpse Clutter...

1. Try to eliminate corpses: Small remains, nobone, noskull, noskin tags added to invaders
2. Custom workshop that uses corpse/bones/skulls and incinerates them
3. Change the ethics to make them usable. Golbin skull totem, Goblin bone arrow... (What tags would i have to change?)

1. is plain cheating, but safes most FPS
2. creates as much work as atom-smashing, but gets rid of clutter.
3. creates as much work as atom-smashing, AND creates items. (Still clutters, just with useful items then)

Not sure which one ist best. Would be nice to bury enemies, but that is hardcoded.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 08:49:39 pm »

@cascade: Argh... best to wall in/cage trap the dwarf then to stop that nonsense.

Several options exist to work at the Corpse Clutter...

1. Try to eliminate corpses: Small remains, nobone, noskull, noskin tags added to invaders
2. Custom workshop that uses corpse/bones/skulls and incinerates them
3. Change the ethics to make them usable. Golbin skull totem, Goblin bone arrow... (What tags would i have to change?)

1. is plain cheating, but safes most FPS
2. creates as much work as atom-smashing, but gets rid of clutter.
3. creates as much work as atom-smashing, AND creates items. (Still clutters, just with useful items then)

Not sure which one ist best. Would be nice to bury enemies, but that is hardcoded.

one and two
you would have to alter the civs ethics on    [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:SHUN] to ACCEPTABLE, and if that fails remove [ITELLIGENT] or [CAN_SPEAK] and [CAN_LEARN] so the attacking creatures are more of "animials" that grouped together to attack, letting you butcher and burn to your hearts content. Burning should produce ash (unlike my mod where it's charcoal but meh, eh?)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »

It'd be nice if you link to the fixes. I specifically seem to have the issues with elven and human diplomats again...

There's an issue with enemies not wearing non-helm, non-torso armor. The fix is to make metal clothes for these guys. To also make these clothes unclaimable, make all enemies of different size to your civ.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:15:16 pm »

It'd be nice if you link to the fixes. I specifically seem to have the issues with elven and human diplomats again...

There's an issue with enemies not wearing non-helm, non-torso armor. The fix is to make metal clothes for these guys. To also make these clothes unclaimable, make all enemies of different size to your civ.
Yes even if you could bring in some quotes from them

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 09:50:46 pm »

Working on it. Since I am in Colombia in a Hostel the internet is erratic. But by tomorrow you should have a download link. I will try to fix the rest of the list till then.

I also want to note that I did NOT test much of it yet. Maybe 30% is tested and works, but I had no chance to play a longer game and see if the diplomats and merchant liasons do arrive as claimed. That is the reason there is no download yet, I dont want to make a fool of myself ;)

EDIT: Another solution for the corpses: Custom_corpse:misc_liquid:blood  Anything killed leaves a bloodsplatter instead of a full body. But havent tried the feature yet. Could also be replaced by CREATRE_SKULL_TOTEM as a trophy for each kill. Then you could easily display your Ettin-Skull in your trophy room. :)

For the diplomacy:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hope that helps, but untested. If you want to test it, please tell me if it works. Liasons should arrive only AFTER your barony is established, Traders should arrive from the second caravan on. There is also one un-fixable bug with this. The human trader will have text speaking of a Merchants Guild, but the elf will use the same text. Greetings from the Merchants Guild, pleasure to do business, and so on...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 10:00:53 pm by Meph »

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 02:51:05 pm »

I'd add "traders don't bring wagons" to the list. Unfortunately, from what I can tell, no one's found a workaround for this yet :(

Also, I'd like to second the request for instructions on how to implement the fixes, when you have time. I expect the easiest route would be to quote the relevant parts of your Masterwork mod. I would just USE the mod, but I don't like all of your changes (though I do like many).

Or, as an alternative, perhaps it would be worth considering a mode for Masterwork that would allow individual implementation of each bugfix/balance? For example, I love the change to keep kobolds from dying out, but I'd rather not mess with cats adopting owners, as I see catsplosion prevention as part of the game's challenge, so I could check off "kobolds don't go extinct" but leave unchecked "cats don't adopt owners", and select/unselect other options as I saw fit. Anyway, just food for thought.

Thanks for compiling these, it's WAY easier than finding it all on the bug tracker or scouring the forums for each topic.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 03:01:03 pm »

There are a bunch of bugs for which I've written binary patches for Win32 v0.31.25 SDL - see here for a full list. One of these is the "traders don't bring wagons" bug (which can also be fixed using a DFHack plugin I wrote), and another one is "all forging jobs use one metal bar" (which fixes it the "proper" way, instead of messing with MATERIAL_SIZE). It would be simple enough to produce a single EXE that incorporates all of those patches.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

KirigStonebeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 04:14:48 pm »

haha, when I saw this I was just about to PM you, as I had come across your note in the bug tracker about the binary fix, after doing some additional searching on the merchant wagon issue, was sifting through SDL.dll in a hex editor, and was going to ask you what I was missing.

A program to make those fixes would be great, if you wouldn't mind doing one. That would eliminate a number in one fell swoop. And looking over that list I can't see anything folks wouldn't want to fix (except perhaps being able to forge anything out of 1 bar, but that's a pretty bad exploit IMO).

Alternatively, a quick guide about what to edit, where, and how would surely be of great use to others like myself. (By way of example, I was looking in SDL.dll for the 1AF1E1 offset, which isn't there... then for a pair reading B2 0E, which I also wasn't able to find... and then I figured I should ask.)

hanspeter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:58 pm »

haha, when I saw this I was just about to PM you, as I had come across your note in the bug tracker about the binary fix, after doing some additional searching on the merchant wagon issue, was sifting through SDL.dll in a hex editor, and was going to ask you what I was missing.

A program to make those fixes would be great, if you wouldn't mind doing one. That would eliminate a number in one fell swoop. And looking over that list I can't see anything folks wouldn't want to fix (except perhaps being able to forge anything out of 1 bar, but that's a pretty bad exploit IMO).

Alternatively, a quick guide about what to edit, where, and how would surely be of great use to others like myself. (By way of example, I was looking in SDL.dll for the 1AF1E1 offset, which isn't there... then for a pair reading B2 0E, which I also wasn't able to find... and then I figured I should ask.)

I second this. Please help us.
Pages: [1] 2 3