Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How NOT to kill a goblin?  (Read 9655 times)

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to kill a goblin?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 12:29:38 pm »

Put him in a pit, and throw remains of all invaders in there. And all remains you cannot use. And make it have 1-3 water levels in it.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:30 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a sign that there may be something wrong with me, but that actually sounds really nice.
Naw, just sounds like you're an introvert who needs a break. Take it from me: A couple weeks without other people jabbering at you can be a real vacation.

Do goblins breed? Catch another opposite-sex goblin and wall them in together... watch as dozens and dozens of goblins are forced to spend all their time in the same two-tile space...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 07:26:59 pm »

I'm not sure if this is a sign that there may be something wrong with me, but that actually sounds really nice.
Naw, just sounds like you're an introvert who needs a break. Take it from me: A couple weeks without other people jabbering at you can be a real vacation.

Do goblins breed? Catch another opposite-sex goblin and wall them in together... watch as dozens and dozens of goblins are forced to spend all their time in the same two-tile space...
You would and up breeding super-goblins that way, as they would fight and only the strong would survive. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 07:32:36 pm »

If that would work, I'd have to start wars with all the other races(for the greater good, of course), so I could capture their soldiers to be put into special birthing chambers. So that members from ALL races could be gifted with the experience of living under my direct rule!

Man, I can't wait for multiracial forts...

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »

You would and up breeding super-goblins that way, as they would fight and only the strong would survive. ;)
That would only work if goblins inherit things from their parents... And anyway, they could only access information from the first two goblins; so you'd end up with no better than the sum of the best the original two could muster, and probably less.

DF with genetics would be cool, though. I mean, it would actually make children non-annoying. Say Daddy's a natural blacksmith and Mommy's an axedwarf (who somehow didn't manage to get Baby skewered in battle)... Bet their kid would inherit something from them. Strength, I think, useful for both things? And it wouldn't be a huge drain on anything, anyway; all you'd need to do is store parents' stats in the kid's data, simple recessive/dominant structure. Don't need any of that real-life partial-dominance and epigenetics stuff; if The Sims 2 did without it, why not Dwarf Fortress?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 11:31:28 pm »

DF already has genetics in it >_<

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »

That would only work if goblins inherit things from their parents... And anyway, they could only access information from the first two goblins; so you'd end up with no better than the sum of the best the original two could muster, and probably less.

DF with genetics would be cool, though. I mean, it would actually make children non-annoying. Say Daddy's a natural blacksmith and Mommy's an axedwarf (who somehow didn't manage to get Baby skewered in battle)... Bet their kid would inherit something from them. Strength, I think, useful for both things? And it wouldn't be a huge drain on anything, anyway; all you'd need to do is store parents' stats in the kid's data, simple recessive/dominant structure. Don't need any of that real-life partial-dominance and epigenetics stuff; if The Sims 2 did without it, why not Dwarf Fortress?
As Loud Whispers says, it already has genetics.  And I was assuming you'd pit all your goblins into a single hole, so you'd get lots of breeding and subsequent fighting for survivalspace.  ;D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 02:43:54 am »

Personally?  I'd just leave him.  Goblins, I believe, are immortal.  They don't eat or drink - even if you started a civ with them they wouldn't consume.  Traders and invaders naturally have eating turned off, but goblins are legit creatures that purely do not eat.

With that in mind, make him a dwarf.  Lock him in a hollowed-out mineral vein, and leave him.  Alone, isolated, with nothing but solid stone for miles in every direction.  The world shall turn, your fortress shall prosper, his armies will continue the siege, and he will know nothing.  Stuck, solitary, in the bowels of the earth, no noise or sight or signal of any sort, even his own breath a muted whimper in the darkness.  And your fort shall crumble, your dwarves rotten to dust and your constructions set ablaze and ashes scattered to the winds (because let's be honest, that's how a good fort goes out) and yet he shall remain, forgotten in the deepest pit of an obscure and obsolete mining vein, spending eternity exactly there.

Hell is other people.  HFS is yourself.

May I sig this?

edit- FUUU DIE SIG LIMIT DIE!!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 02:48:38 am by noodle0117 »

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 02:51:01 am »

Hammers work, but getting close poses a risk to your dwarves and tends to be over too quickly. If you catch a goblin with high dodge they're best used as either gladiators against beasts or as target practice for your unskilled marksdwarves.

I've kept this up for months. Every once in a while I'd open the door to the training pit and they'd run out to get vengeance on the dwarves who were doing this, but get tragically caught in a cage trap right outside each and every time.

However, that's not the worst thing you could do. Lock dozens of goblins in a danger room for years and then use them to visit the circus.

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 03:15:43 am »

I totally did not know that, and I demand a link to an explanation of how DF genetics works.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2011, 07:10:22 am »

Make a noble you hate a really really nice valuable room. Then stick the goblin right in the middle of a 3x3 fortification so the noble soils his pants everytime he walks in. Double points if it's a goblin bowman.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2011, 12:12:01 pm »

I totally did not know that, and I demand a link to an explanation of how DF genetics works.

Well amongst animals, they'll inherit traits from both parents, which usually leads to hulking fat masses of muscles amongst polar bears and war dogs.
Amongst Dwarves, they inherit skin colour, eye colour and physical traits, although with each progressive generation the traits are nullified (good and bad), until you get Dorfs who are average with everything. Mental traits appear to be random.
You could try searching genetics, or find my abandoned eugenics fort thread :P

Ivir_Baggins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2011, 01:57:02 pm »

Cold, mechancial, beaurocratic, uncaring death.

Isn't it beautiful?
From the point of view of my industrial forts that run an 'organic products' line? Inefficient. The 'bureaucratic' part of the procedure can be purged while the rest of the adjectives remain true. But then, there is something to appreciate about deliberately being inefficient for the sake of Twisted Art.

We don't want a normal bureaucratic death. We want a Vogon bureaucratic death. That's much worse. If only poetry was included in the game...
Moab is my washpot, and over Edom shall I cast out my shoe.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2011, 02:16:59 pm »

Find/wait for a syndrome which paralyses the goblin without killing them. Perhaps melts their limbs. A kind of living hell, trapped within their own mind and in perpetual agony. I call this the "I have no mouth and i must scream" method.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2011, 02:45:02 pm »

Find/wait for a syndrome which paralyses the goblin without killing them. Perhaps melts their limbs. A kind of living hell, trapped within their own mind and in perpetual agony. I call this the "I have no mouth and i must scream" method.

Turn it into a blob? Nice. Although the rot may cause it to die from infection, so it's risky.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4