Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How NOT to kill a goblin?  (Read 9653 times)

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How NOT to kill a goblin?
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 05:35:29 pm »

Girlinhat's solutions sounds the best. Maybe toss him in a tower with a window facing the entrance so he can watch siege after siege crumble. As for your what weapon question, wood/bone crossbows. Make sure the squad isn't assigned ammo and pray he doesn't get a lucky headshot in.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 05:53:33 pm »

Upon the likely event the fortress crumbles, the Goblin will become free though. Upon the event of reclaim, two inevitabilities will also arise, it will either be visible and friendly, or become a hostile ambusher, free from his consigns.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2011, 06:18:20 pm »

If anything, it would be like giving him a vacation.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2011, 06:22:35 pm »

If anything, it would be like giving him a vacation.

An entire Dwarf fortress to himself.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

In one of my forts I built a massive gold tower in front of my entrance. It was something like 7 z-levels high and it had a small windowed chamber at the top with a platinum cap and a statue of my count doing something outrageous. I built it with a two bridge system so I could pit something at the top, drop him down by retracting the first bridge so I could build the cap without the job cancel spam, and then finally drop him onto 10 masterwork steel spikes at the very bottom of the monument. I then pitted the goblin general into it and forgot about him.
The design was based on the Siegessäule in Berlin. It looked kind of like that but out of solid gold, a windowed viewing platform at the top, and a spike pit at the bottom. Needless to say mine was covered in troll blood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Victory_Column

Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2011, 06:50:22 pm »

Personally?  I'd just leave him.  Goblins, I believe, are immortal.  They don't eat or drink - even if you started a civ with them they wouldn't consume.  Traders and invaders naturally have eating turned off, but goblins are legit creatures that purely do not eat.

With that in mind, make him a dwarf.  Lock him in a hollowed-out mineral vein, and leave him.  Alone, isolated, with nothing but solid stone for miles in every direction.  The world shall turn, your fortress shall prosper, his armies will continue the siege, and he will know nothing.  Stuck, solitary, in the bowels of the earth, no noise or sight or signal of any sort, even his own breath a muted whimper in the darkness.  And your fort shall crumble, your dwarves rotten to dust and your constructions set ablaze and ashes scattered to the winds (because let's be honest, that's how a good fort goes out) and yet he shall remain, forgotten in the deepest pit of an obscure and obsolete mining vein, spending eternity exactly there.

Hell is other people.  HFS is yourself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just...

hoard my prisoners.

I'd rather die than sit in the dark and have no clue what the dorfs have in plan for me.

See below \/

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2011, 07:36:23 pm »

Man the bay12 forum is... Odd. 40% of it is based around inflicting some sort of madness against these poor ASCII denizens  ::)

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2011, 07:40:07 pm »

And the other 60% is finding more "uses" for molten rock
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2011, 07:41:38 pm »

And the other 60% is finding more "uses" for molten rock

#And !!SCIENCE!!.

Somewhere though, 1% is every shred of morals crying in a dark corner alone.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2011, 08:10:54 pm »

Yep, it does get pretty lonely over here.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2011, 09:04:50 pm »

I read once a story about the old Soviet prisons.

Every day the prisoners would be ordered to stand at attension with their backs the the bars, and occasionally, some would be shot in the back of the head with no other warning.

I keep my goblins in stockpiles, that are occasionally shuffled around, sorted, split, merged, and re-organized.

Sometimes I drop a few into the barracks to 'enhance' training, but I don't plan anything specific, for an indiviual goblin. They are beyond nameless, they don't even have a number, just a total count, which might be occupying a cage I need for something else, so they die. Then their corpses are erased from existance.

Cold, mechancial, beaurocratic, uncaring death.

Isn't it beautiful?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 09:43:49 pm »

Kaenneth, I will tell you of my prison fortress. It was a complex spanning 70 lvls. The first entrance was part of the sky hold, a ramp extending from the ground harvesters to the internal levels. At the first fork past the depot, one entrance way led to the civilian levels. The other led to a 3 tile winding corridor, that could be shut down by 6 raisable bridges. Closing the first bridges blocked the straight path through, diverting the route through the last internal trap corridor. This was also where the barracks were placed.

Stairways and passage ways extended further, until you reached my monument to Dwarfdom. A bridge, complete with grand arches in a cavernous expanse. It had a 30z lvl drop, and was covered in traps, and was fortified with a ballistae battery. In the centre 3 pairs of raisable bridges and 1 pair of retractable bridges guarded all attempts of escape by foot as well. The second gate house was constantly patrolled by marksdwarves, which had an internal entrance from the barracks keep.

3x3x3 cells extended on for 10 rows each, branching down 8 rows surrounded by masterwork statues, each individually selected for their grim or historical depictions. Each of these cells were deliberately furnished to be as nice as possible-they were the Dwarf cells, where the unhappy and the downtrodden were rehabilitated into functional society. Each section was locked under an airlock door system operated by mechanisms, and had their own water piping that was fed from the level above. The pipes were secured with mechanism operated hatches as well, which meant I could drain the water below with ease, add water (and drown the occupants if wanted), and shower the Dwarves at will.
Further, was a section few ventured, where I kept my exotic beasts and valued dignitaries. An Elf Druid and a Goblin Law giver amongst them.

Further still, only guards were permitted to go. A series of passage ways that allowed me to control where everything went. One tunnel led to the execution pits, where I dropped occupants onto large serrated discs from 10z lvls away, which meant those not instantly killed by the fall spent eternity being shredded to pieces.

Another two led to the converse chamber, where I could introduce inmates to each other, or to the guard.
A favourite of mine were the firing squad room, or magma spike. Inmates were placed in 1x5 room, fortifications on one wall, and taken out with steel bolts. The steel bolts were melted down and turned into more bolts. The magma spike was a steel menacing spike placed in magma. Inmates were dropped from a retractable bridge, and landed on the spike. The magma did the rest.
The last led to the Colosseum, fit with a skylight and gem windows!

It was a circular auditorium, only 450 Urist tiles in Diameter, not the largest Colosseum built by far. But it ran with a system of pillars, with a shallow pool at the bottom. Each pillar was 3z lvls high, 2 zlvls above the water. Here they fought whilst the Dwarves dined.
My only regret is I couldn't find a way to successfully remove my guard's eyes out without it being lethal like my other forts...

Because then it would bring even more meaning when they said;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 04:58:00 am »

-snip-

Everything you say is so cool!

Fanboyism aside, I have my own plan!
Tie the badgermen around in a 5x5 square.
Make sure the centre of the square is at the bottom of a pit.
Drop a goblin in there.
The badgers will then swarm the goblin (in a 3x3 fashion, as to not cushion his fall).
Stroke your twirly moustache and the cat on your lap because you're obviously a fucking evil mastermind.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2011, 05:00:13 am »

My only regret is I couldn't find a way to successfully remove my guard's eyes out without it being lethal like my other forts...

Dwarven Optometry strikes back O_O

-snip-

Everything you say is so cool!

True enough, at a certain point some Bay12 users become incapable of doing non-cool things.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 09:51:21 am »

Cold, mechancial, beaurocratic, uncaring death.

Isn't it beautiful?
From the point of view of my industrial forts that run an 'organic products' line? Inefficient. The 'bureaucratic' part of the procedure can be purged while the rest of the adjectives remain true. But then, there is something to appreciate about deliberately being inefficient for the sake of Twisted Art.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4