Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gods against extinctions  (Read 1987 times)

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gods against extinctions
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:29 pm »

While extinctions of races and civilizations are somewhat interesting, desperate entities could give a good reason for divine interventions. Blessings of sympathetic gods or deals with evil ones would make good worldgen stories for good/evil regions and entities.

Peaceful enchanted forests and werewolf villages with horrible secrets are already in the dev list, and these would be nice origin stories.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gods against extinctions
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 11:26:41 pm »

There could always be a god or goddess that whisks off any dying race and lets them life in some sort of planar zoo.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:33:09 am »

Or the god demands something of the dying civilization. Things like: "I'll let you live, but only will I grant you life if you accept to have your butt right above your mouth..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »

I'd be against actual Gods defending the few. As of yet, Gods only exist in the pantheons of the civilisations.

Night Creatures, Demons and Megabeasts on the other hand....

Dragon/Kobold civs anyone?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:50:12 am »

I'd be against actual Gods defending the few. As of yet, Gods only exist in the pantheons of the civilisations.

Night Creatures, Demons and Megabeasts on the other hand....

Dragon/Kobold civs anyone?

Yeah.  Possibilities like that put a smile on my face. Like Dragon Mountain, that remade AD&D module.  The lil d10 fellas had stole uber loot out of the Dragons lair.  Funny seeing a d10 critter wielding a vorpal wpn.

I'm trying to figure out what this Force is, in the swamp region in my current game, and how to better take advantage of it.  *shrug*  Its not a god against extinction, however.

Any prebuilt history would limit the mod-ability of DF.  I'm against backstory, for that reason.  However, it would be interesting to have a few gods for these new undead civs.  Like a god of neck fetish sex and a god of bone craft reanimation.  I could enjoy those. 

Sincerely,
Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 11:58:34 am »

If Gods were put directly in the game though, I would say it would be a bit anti climatic if you beheaded it with someones foot or just dropped a mountain on it :|

Which is why I still like the Demons/megabeast posing as Gods idea. Even God-Demons can bleed! :P

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 04:14:24 pm »

While I prefer to keep gods mostly distant from gameplay, the godly interventions are already coming up in the form of curses for temples defilers. I think that's a bit odd, cursing someone with immortality for the cost of killing other people.

This wouldn't necessarily need gods anyway. Spirits, dark rhituals or irreversible alchemical corruption would also be great fantasy fodder. Considering how moddable the new interaction system is going to be, that ought to keep unwanted things away from unrelated mods anyway.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:57:35 am »

I prefer gods have an active but not almighty role in the game. Actually that isn't exactly true I'd like it to be a world gen option from "gods are nothing" to "gods have an active role in everyday life".

A god chosing to save a race personally to ensure their pernament devotion? Sounds like a great plot hook to me. A entire nation where it is law to have complete devotion to a diety or face death.

As well fighting champions empowered by their devotions to their deities sounds like a grand battle as well.

And of course some gods are giant dietific monsters. Imagine grand epic battles with creatures like Typhon who were as large as mountains.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 02:18:34 am »

I'm just worried about the impact this would have on legends mode. It's either all or minor when you're talking about DF gods :|

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 02:23:24 am »

I'm just worried about the impact this would have on legends mode. It's either all or minor when you're talking about DF gods :|

I like to think gods in settings like these tip their hand rather then outright meddle.

Kelkesh123

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 03:58:57 pm »

I like the idea of slight intervention, but not gods fighting wolves, or whatever.

Think Harbinger from Mass Effect 2. A god could possess a person, giving them a bunch of powers and making them stronger, giving their people a champion to fight off an extinction.

Or a god could spread plagues and pestilence, make food rot, turn water into blood, LOCUSTS.

That could be fun.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »

In the same way when artwork is destroyed by magma, it sometimes says a God destroyed it, perhaps ridiculous events could allow Gods to intervene without ever being present? :P

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 04:47:15 pm »

Y'know this could be tied in with the whole idea of races having patron deities (Don't know if it been mentioned here before).

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 11:01:55 am »

Perhaps gods bringing on strange events.

Blood rain, hail of fire, earthquakes. We need disaster gods, if we are going to put in saviour gods.