Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Faster designating (construction)  (Read 1158 times)

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
Faster designating (construction)
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:12:19 pm »

Are there any tools I could use to speed up designating buildings like floors, walls, etc? I'm getting pissed off I have to build alot and I really don't like when I have to do about 50 things to build 9+2 floors and such -_-
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Faster designating (construction)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »

Well, if you're doing similar designations each time, you can make macros http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Macros_and_Keymaps

You can also hold in Shift and press a direction to skip 11 (I believe) space in that direction, rather than just one.

You can also use the mouse when designating; left click designates, right click moves the designation cursor to your mouse cursor, I believe.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 03:20:47 pm »

I'm talking about construction of floors, walls, etc. Im fucking pissed off now, I'm done with half floor I have to build -_-
Why my pic doesn't work?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 04:04:18 pm »

I remember being really happy when I learned you can order the contruction of up to a 10x10 area using the uhkm keys while designating the wall/floor etc.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 04:20:22 pm »

Also remember that you can press 'shift'+'return' to select one kind of stone for all the tiles at once. I remember being pissed off back in the day before I knew this, selecting a kind of stone somewhere down the list for a few hundred times for one small tower was incredibly annoying.
Otherwise I agree you should try to use makros as much as possible.

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 04:23:36 pm »

Sorry, but at this moment I haven't learned anything yet. I'm asking for something like 3rd party program or so, if only it was possible to select material you want to use and then just brush it with your mouse... AAAAH
Why my pic doesn't work?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 04:39:57 pm »

You can alleviate the hardship of selecting materials by simply making an exclusive stockpile (disabling all materials but the one you want) next to the construction site. The closest type of stone/metal/whatever will always appear at the top of the list. And not only will this save you time, but your dwarves as well.

For me, the big issue with above-ground construction is that you have to wait for dwarves to finish every little construction on the structure and walk them through it piece-by-piece. If the game treated unfinished constructions the same as complete ones, building megaprojects would be a breeze (well, compared to how it is now).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:45:29 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Uristoteles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 05:01:01 pm »

List of related DF Utilities:
Rejoice!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

UMHK to resize the construction area combined with SHIFT+ENTER when selecting made above ground construction very simple for me.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 04:21:55 pm »

For constructing structures when only a few adjacent tiles are accessible, I'll designate a large rectangle of walls (e.g., if the structure will have 5x10 walls, I'll make a large 5x10 wall block).  Then I can "carve out" the hallways and rooms by canceling individual wall squares.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 05:16:18 pm »

Try to get used to the micromanageing. I've never used anything beyond the uhkm and shift key for building. But there are some cool utilities out there, plus macros come in handy. Check the utility page of the magma wiki.