Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What to do with a gigantic panda?  (Read 2701 times)

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with a gigantic panda?
« on: December 25, 2011, 07:10:00 pm »

So, some elf traders came, and after multiple attempts for a totally fair trade, they got pissed and said they wouldn't trade anymore. I promptly ordered my dwarves to seize their goods, and little did I know one of those goods was a gigantic panda. What should I do with it? I don't have any bamboo, so if uncaged it'll starve to death before I can train it, and it's just sitting in my animal stockpile...

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with a gigantic panda?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 07:13:09 pm »

So, some elf traders came, and after multiple attempts for a totally fair trade, they got pissed and said they wouldn't trade anymore. I promptly ordered my dwarves to seize their goods, and little did I know one of those goods was a gigantic panda. What should I do with it? I don't have any bamboo, so if uncaged it'll starve to death before I can train it, and it's just sitting in my animal stockpile...

Butcher it.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:14:06 pm »

Act out a Lifetime drama story, using the panda as one of the main characters.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »

My dwarves are in the process of making giant panda roasts out of the one my militia commander one-shotted with his superior copper spear.  He outran the other three members of my militia, ran up to the panda and stabbed it in the chest, tearing the heart and a major artery in the heart.  Then he ran into it, knocking the panda to the ground.  It tried to run, but bled out four tiles later.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 08:41:10 pm »

I don't have any bamboo, so if uncaged it'll starve to death before I can train it, and it's just sitting in my animal stockpile...

It will also starve to death if you don't uncage it - being in a cage doesn't prevent animals from needing food.  Butcher it before it starves, at least you'll get some food out of it that way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 08:51:49 pm »

I don't have any bamboo, so if uncaged it'll starve to death before I can train it, and it's just sitting in my animal stockpile...

It will also starve to death if you don't uncage it - being in a cage doesn't prevent animals from needing food.  Butcher it before it starves, at least you'll get some food out of it that way.
Grazers only need food if you tame them. As long as the panda maintains a savage mentality, it will never starve to death, caged or not.

However... if it came with an elf caravan, then it's probably already tame. Go with the butchering.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 08:54:06 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 08:53:02 pm »

Grazers only need food if you train them. As long as the panda maintains a savage mentality, it will never starve to death, caged or not.

This wasn't a wild panda.  It's a tame panda seized from the elves.  I'm pretty sure it still needs to eat.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 11:15:40 pm »

Well, butcher it is then. I actually have a food surplus at the moment, but more couldn't hurt. Too bad it isn't wild, I was planning on keeping it in the cage (since it doesn't need food) and releasing it during a siege. Next time I trap a gigantic panda, that's where it's going.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

Force it outside and hope for a siege.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 02:35:03 am »

You can always mess with the raws - on my current fortress, I allowed badgers to be tamed without dungeon master(which is bugged anyway), and made them trainable into WAR ANIMALS

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 02:42:03 am »

You didn't even consider having it star in a reenactment of a Lifetime drama story, did you?

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2011, 02:47:56 am »

No. As soon as they were trained, they ran outside and started murdering any wild badgers. I do not know if that stands for a Lifetime drama story.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 03:01:31 am »

You can always mess with the raws - on my current fortress, I allowed badgers to be tamed without dungeon master(which is bugged anyway), and made them trainable into WAR ANIMALS

I always like my... war crocs.

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2011, 03:39:59 am »

it's sad but pandas and elephants are almost useless as tamed animals because they need more food then they can eat. They are doomed to starvation. butcher them to spare them the pain of autophagy. It is a bitter mercy, but a mercy nontheless.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 03:44:31 am »

Pandas eat only bamboo. It's very Fun trying to keep them alive.

Just butcher it, atleast you'll get some food from it.
Pages: [1] 2