Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: So why are we an artform again?  (Read 7326 times)

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So why are we an artform again?
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 02:56:20 am »

What do you define as an artistic game? One that conveys a story? One that delivers a unique experience? A deep, meaningful experience?  One that is unique mechanically? One that's not mainstream? One that's a new IP? One that's fun? Immersive?

For instance, Skyward Sword. I mean, you say it yourself. That IP is old as shit, and it was anything but indie. But it drew me in - it did things with a controller I never knew a controller could do (insert wii penis joke here). It had beautiful graphics and a fantastic art style. It was anything but the same game for the twelfth time. I haven't played any other WiiMotionPlus game, but to me it was the most mechanically unique game I've played and one of the most immersive.

And to say it was the same game for the twelfth time is an outright lie. That'd almost be like saying the Harry Potter book is the same as the movie. A bit more similar than that, but I can't think of anything that's a better example. It's the same story put in a different medium - the mechanical differences (and the ways they were used, constantly surprising me with new innovations) made this from a boring rehash to an entirely different experience.

But no, bro. Ancient IP, no innovation allowed.
The gameplay structure is the same, the story structure is the same, the places are generally the same, you only have around 1 real town and 3 dungeons, the dungeons are repetitive and have been so since beginning.(One of the few current gen games I've played.)

So, to give an example that most of you will get, we're having plenty of final fantasies, but a distinct lack of Chronotriggers to come and completely mindfuck us as to what games should be.

We're having plenty of Empire Earths but no Dungeon Keeper to remind us of how fun games can be.

More then that, compare this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOuy4YM0AI, to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmMnsOncRCE&feature=related, or how about, this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPjyQtWHbGQ, to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQZnLP4FLI, the differences are the first ones are fitting and not generic fantasy genera.

I'm sorry.

But. Did you just say that Arkham Asylum sucks because it's mechanics are repetitive and familiar, then compare it to Planescape by saying it's mechanics suck but that did not matter because of story telling?

Seriously? How can you do this? At any rate, what is even your issue here? That fun games are being remade? That people refuse to only use a IP once?

Addressing your's and Kinseti's remarks here, the differences are, that in the past 7 years, popular music has gone from, THIS, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGdGFtwCNBE, to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0tTeuUVhU, to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ&ob=av3e being popular.

The Killers is different from Kanye, is different the Foster the People. Those have been mainstream. Stylisticly, you haven't had the same games being repackaged as new games. You haven't had the shooter seasons that the last 2 Christmas seasons have been. You haven't really seen the types of music rising from the rafters to being new accepted popular genres. The closest we've seen to this, is RPG elements slowly being added into action games, and RPG's becoming slowly more actiony.

It's really taken this Christmas for me to start speaking about this. And I've gone RAGETARDED because of it.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 03:02:35 am »

You failed to answer my questions in anyway at all.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 03:05:36 am »

What do you define as an artistic game? One that conveys a story? One that delivers a unique experience? A deep, meaningful experience?  One that is unique mechanically? One that's not mainstream? One that's a new IP? One that's fun? Immersive?

For instance, Skyward Sword. I mean, you say it yourself. That IP is old as shit, and it was anything but indie. But it drew me in - it did things with a controller I never knew a controller could do (insert wii penis joke here). It had beautiful graphics and a fantastic art style. It was anything but the same game for the twelfth time. I haven't played any other WiiMotionPlus game, but to me it was the most mechanically unique game I've played and one of the most immersive.

And to say it was the same game for the twelfth time is an outright lie. That'd almost be like saying the Harry Potter book is the same as the movie. A bit more similar than that, but I can't think of anything that's a better example. It's the same story put in a different medium - the mechanical differences (and the ways they were used, constantly surprising me with new innovations) made this from a boring rehash to an entirely different experience.

The gameplay structure is the same, the story structure is the same, the places are generally the same, you only have around 1 real town and 3 dungeons, the dungeons are repetitive and have been so since beginning.(One of the few current gen games I've played.)

I'm going to take a quote from you to describe Skyward Sword:
Lets compare that to a truly great game, Planescape Torment, it realized that Infinity Engine combat sucks if you don't balance the encounters perfectly, so it chose to basically make almost all of the combat avoidable, and to focus primarily on world building, character building, and story building, and in that it's a fantastic game. The story is original, fun, and engaging, and if you realize that's what it was focusing on, then it's a completely great game, if you take it's gameplay as being everything else, it's a pretty, but kind of terrible game. Whats more again focusing on what it focused on, it remains great even in successive playthroughs.
The storytelling is not unique, and the settings aren't either, so they chose to make the mechanics incredibly unique and immersive. They decided to add depth and character to the one town instead of copy-pasting it four different times across the world. The art style is probably my favorite of any zelda so far, and if you realize those are the things it's focusing on then it's a completely great game. If you take the uniqueness of its plot and the number of towns as being everything, it's a pretty and gimmicky, but kind of terrible game. What's more again focusing on what it focused on, it remains great even in successive playthroughs.

I think what I'm getting from you is ART IS X ELEMENT THAT I LIKE. YOU CAN IGNORE OTHER BAD ELEMENTS IN FAVOR OF X ELEMENT, BUT YOU CAN'T IGNORE X ELEMENT IN FAVOR OF OTHER GOOD ELEMENTS.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 03:10:55 am »

Addressing your's and Kinseti's remarks here, the differences are, that in the past 7 years, popular music has gone from, THIS, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGdGFtwCNBE, to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co0tTeuUVhU, to this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ&ob=av3e being popular.

But you forget, in the past 7 years in gaming, popular games have gone from World of Warcraft, to Mario Galaxy, to Modern Warfare 3!

They are all completely different genres, and therefor innovative and artistic under your line of reasoning.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2011, 03:23:38 am »

Arighty Dak, make a game and show us how it's done.
Hello Hunam

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2011, 03:26:14 am »

Arighty Dak, make a game and show us how it's done.
Or you could actually contribute something to the argument instead of being a troll.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2011, 03:28:40 am »

Spoiler: 2010 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2009 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2008 (click to show/hide)
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2011, 03:33:15 am »

Arighty Orange:

Good new ideas are hard to find, and even then they will be harder to implement. Games can take several years to make, and the evolution of the art-form will slowly progress, and most people will be in it for the money, like how there were a million 'Doom clones' after Doom was released, but we now call them 'First Person Shooters'. Just because for a period there are no substantial breakthroughs one year doesn't mean all development has stopped, there will be at some point be another 'Doom' that creates a genre, and there will be a fallout that follows, and there will be another situation like today where most games seem very similar, it's just a cycle of progress.
Hello Hunam

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 03:46:31 am »

I'm going to take a quote from you to describe Skyward Sword:
Lets compare that to a truly great game, Planescape Torment, it realized that Infinity Engine combat sucks if you don't balance the encounters perfectly, so it chose to basically make almost all of the combat avoidable, and to focus primarily on world building, character building, and story building, and in that it's a fantastic game. The story is original, fun, and engaging, and if you realize that's what it was focusing on, then it's a completely great game, if you take it's gameplay as being everything else, it's a pretty, but kind of terrible game. Whats more again focusing on what it focused on, it remains great even in successive playthroughs.
The storytelling is not unique, and the settings aren't either, so they chose to make the mechanics incredibly unique and immersive. They decided to add depth and character to the one town instead of copy-pasting it four different times across the world. The art style is probably my favorite of any zelda so far, and if you realize those are the things it's focusing on then it's a completely great game. If you take the uniqueness of its plot and the number of towns as being everything, it's a pretty and gimmicky, but kind of terrible game. What's more again focusing on what it focused on, it remains great even in successive playthroughs.

I think what I'm getting from you is ART IS X ELEMENT THAT I LIKE. YOU CAN IGNORE OTHER BAD ELEMENTS IN FAVOR OF X ELEMENT, BUT YOU CAN'T IGNORE X ELEMENT IN FAVOR OF OTHER GOOD ELEMENTS.

Except it's mechanics become banal by the end of the game, as the lag on the controller starts to eat at you, and the enemies start getting really gimmicky, along with the fact that Skyward Sword really is "Just another Zelda game." More than that, the wii denies the fact that, for a game to really well and truly suck you gameplay wise, there literally has to be ABSOLUTELY MINIMAL controller lag. Or at least lag such that there is minimal notice of it. As I played Skyward Sword, the lag ate at me, until, I put my shiny new peripheral down, and decided to say fuck it and bitch about it on the internet. I've done this with every gimmicky Wii game I own, to the point where I litterally own 5 of them, 3 of which came with my console, compared to the veritable collection of PC games I own and play, and the 40 PS2 games I own and play on a regular basis. But I digress, it's a Zelda game, and thus it's a decent game. People need to realize that decent doesn't mean it's shit, that means it's above shit(Where the modern millitary shooter genre lives), but under great(Where true legends live, like Chronotrigger, Planescape, and Deus Ex.) When I say something is decent that means it sits somewhere, in the spots good and mediocre would fill. My problem right now, is looking back we haven't had a truly great game, once a year, like we used to, Fallout, 1997, Half Life, 1998, System Shock 2, 1999, Deus Ex, 2000, Halo, 2001, Splinter Cell, 2002, KotOR, 2003.

What games this year, do you think that 12 YEARS down the line people will still be talking about on forums, about the glory days of X? How about 15 in the case of Fallout?

Kinseti, once again you're strawmanning, you're forgetting something, THE MEDIA, what is the media focusing on, what is the populous focusing on. Mario Galaxy didn't make many waves outside Nintendo Media and Forums, WoW is a PC only but has become a staple of popular culture none the less, the biggest one you've listed, is Modern Warfare 3, which is exactly like Modern Warfare 2, which is exactly like Modern Warfare 1, which SPAN 6 years, and have sold MORE THAN ANY OTHER ITEM IN ANY MEDIUM on launch. The music media and THUS THE EXECS are focusing on those particular genres. Deus Ex, warranted spreads in just about every magazine you can think of. It was talked about by damn near everyone.

You guys claim that games lack the audience, but at the same time disregard things like that.

@megaman
As far as games, I know games theory, but lack the programming know how, to reasonably put one together, and simply don't have the head for the math to learn proper programming.

More than that, put a game together yourself, is a strawman, "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PROTEST OR ANYTHING, JUST SIT AT HOME AND MAKE YOU'RE OWN COUNTRY."

And when people do, do it, IE like Jay Barnson, of Twisted Metal Fame, who sat down and MADE a 30 hour RPG, he gets pretty much nothing in the way of coverage, because guess what, everyone's too focused on the SAME DAMN THING WE'VE SEEN THE PAST 7 FUCKING YEARS SINCE 2004.

@Megaman
Except, as I've mentioned with actual art forms, like Movies, there's plenty of clones, they take several years to make at times, but there's still innovation or just general triumphs of film making every half year or so, Avatar, Hugo, the Social Network, Inception, Watchmen. None of the games released this year, are anything near what I'd call a triumph of game making. The closest would probably be Bastion, which had niggling flaws like being built around a gimmick to deal with. Still it was a decent game.

Also, even said DOOMCLONES had better game, sound, and level design than pretty much anything to come out this year.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 03:51:40 am »

Thank you. Was that so hard?

Also, to add my two cents:
Companies don't develop these games solely for our entertainment(except some indies). They make them because they want to make a profit, so they're going to create something that they know will sell. Then, they'll overadvertise it and overhype it because they want to sell a metric ton of these games. So when something is selling a lot, people are going to make games like it. This leads to a lot of 'duplicate' or 'generic' games. Like call of duty vs medal of honor a while back. Or, any FPS based on history(as opposed to shooters that have their own worlds to them, like Halo). Or, WoW Expansion X: How Much Shit Can We Cram Into Our World Before People Stop Buying Our Games, GOTY Collector's Edition.

I think most of the innovation in games will come from the Indie market. They're small and generally unknown to the public when they start, so they need something to draw people to purchase their games. This leads to them making awesome new features(or games based on those features), while the huge corporations like Activision are making Game 10: Game Game-ier.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 03:55:13 am »

Kinseti, once again you're strawmanning, you're forgetting something, THE MEDIA, what is the media focusing on, what is the populous focusing on. Mario Galaxy didn't make many waves outside Nintendo Media and Forums, WoW is a PC only but has become a staple of popular culture none the less, the biggest one you've listed, is Modern Warfare 3, which is exactly like Modern Warfare 2, which is exactly like Modern Warfare 1, which SPAN 6 years, and have sold MORE THAN ANY OTHER ITEM IN ANY MEDIUM on launch. The music media and THUS THE EXECS are focusing on those particular genres. Deus Ex, warranted spreads in just about every magazine you can think of. It was talked about by damn near everyone.

You guys claim that games lack the audience, but at the same time disregard things like that.

@megaman
As far as games, I know games theory, but lack the programming know how, to reasonably put one together, and simply don't have the head for the math to learn proper programming.

More than that, put a game together yourself, is a strawman, "WELL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T PROTEST OR ANYTHING, JUST SIT AT HOME AND MAKE YOU'RE OWN COUNTRY."

And when people do, do it, IE like Jay Barnson, of Twisted Metal Fame, who sat down and MADE a 30 hour RPG, he gets pretty much nothing in the way of coverage, because guess what, everyone's too focused on the SAME DAMN THING WE'VE SEEN THE PAST 7 FUCKING YEARS SINCE 2004.

You can't fault Mario Galaxy for not exciting anyone who didn't own a Wii. I am as plugged in to gaming culture as I can manage and I still don't care about PS3 exclusives because I don't own one and I don't plan to.

Right now, gaming media is a little dizzy after Skyrim's release, and the focus is seemingly on Skyrim aftermath and speculation about future titles. The possibility of Half-Life 3 is just taking off. No one's talking about MW3 anymore, that's old hat. I don't really know what the point you're trying to make about the MEDIA is, though.

Programming is not math, btw. Programming is telling the computer to do lots of math for you. The only thing stopping you from making games is yourself.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2011, 04:02:51 am »

Video games have always been about making money. Nolan Bushnell didnt start Atari, because he wanted to bring joy to the masses via video games. He thought it would make money.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 04:16:33 am »

We are an artform because we have indie games. That is pretty much it.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 04:16:40 am »

I've read this like 3 times and I still don't understand the argument you're trying to make. You talk about the media, then the impact of my examples on popular culture, then MW3 being a ripoff, then music execs, then dues ex. Most of what you say is true, but I don't see what you're shooting at there.

I may have been strawmanning, but my point was succinct and hopefully clear.  Kayne West is to P. Diddy what Modern Warfare 3 is to Ghost Recon. There don't need to be any great artistic strides, because people know what to expect, they like it, and they're gonna buy it. Hence, publishers are all over that shit. Especially in times of economic uncertainty, publishers are going to go for the sure thing rather than the risky venture. The media then focuses on what consumers are going to buy, because they cater to the same consumers. It has always been this way. All entertainment media suffer from this to a certain extent. Those with greater overhead (Movies, big budget games) suffer from it moreso than those with smaller production cost (music recording, indie games, novels). Modern Warfare 3 is business, not art, but that doesn't mean art doesn't exist in games. Try to be more clear if you're trying to refute that.

EDIT: Actually, I guess I was just strawmanning the first time. But hopefully this time was clear.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 04:21:25 am by kinseti »

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 04:23:55 am »

You're mistaking popularity with worth, wanting games that you think are valid as art to be widely recognized and showered with riches, and at the same time condemning game companies for doing everything they can to make their games as popular as possible. Do you see how this could be fallacy?

And no, it's not a strawman to say 'Make one yourself'. In fact it's easier than ever, so the concept of an elitist barrier you have in the traditional 'art world' doesn't apply. The fact that you're mad about how terrible games are implies that you believe they can be better, so with the technical difficulties fast receding from a few month's hard work and a few years of natural accumulation of knowledge, all you're saying is that you're dissatisfied with gaming and everyone else should make better games. So sorry, we'll get right on that ;)
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6