Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A funny thing i should have seen coming...  (Read 2063 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: A funny thing i should have seen coming...
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 03:17:50 pm »

Funny, my lead mechanic usually is busy as hell, constantly turning blocks of stone into mechanisms
No, he's turning boulders into mechanisms - blocks cannot be used to produce anything.

I'd assume the large ones are cuboid as well. Still, okay. Boulders.
Semantics. Boulders seem to be the ∞-shaped things found on the surface, too, yet I can't make mechanisms out of them.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2011, 03:26:29 pm »

When you mine out a rock tile, you get a rock boulder, not a block. Seriously, look over your freshly mined rock :P

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2011, 03:40:58 pm »

Units of stone. Whatever, okay? We can call those boulders, large rocks, blocks, stone, or whatever, they'll keep being what they are.

When I look at one, it says nothing. A hunk of quartztite is called 'quartztite'. That is why this dispute's there in the first place.

Once again, it's semantics. I think 'stone' is the most correct word, then there are 'stone blocks' and 'stone mechanisms' and whatever else.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »

Rock is a naturally formed solid aggregate of one or more minerals. It is what stone is made from.

Stone normally is used to refer to rock which has been dressed, trimmed or otherwise engineered or used by man in construction of some sort, usually as discrete (individual) blocks. Also important is the fact that these blocks are no longer in-situ (i.e. they are no longer where they were formed and part of a larger cohesive rock mass) within the Earth. Examples are the use of "stone" as counter tops in kitchens or as ornamental cladding for buildings or the construction of columns and lintels in certain buildings. Another common use of large blocks of dressed stone is in sea defenses and pier walls where the large dressed blocks forming the outer walls are known as armour stone.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_stone_and_a_rock#ixzz1ha5yxokt
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 [2]