Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sand Deserts  (Read 2178 times)

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
Re: Sand Deserts
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2011, 04:35:21 pm »

Yeah, I was actually considering embarking on a glacier. But I kinda like water. Huh, I dunno, maybe I'll try it if roughing it turns out too rough.

Odd. Embarked on a mountain. Completely flat.
Totally not complaining.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2011, 04:46:30 pm »

Oh, right. If there's no soil, there's no grass. Grass only grows on soil.

Sand is soil, though.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 04:48:14 pm »

Oh, right. If there's no soil, there's no grass. Grass only grows on soil.

Sand is soil, though.

But you can still easily find desert biomes that consist solely of sand which have no vegetation

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 05:53:17 pm »

Yeah, I was actually considering embarking on a glacier. But I kinda like water. Huh, I dunno, maybe I'll try it if roughing it turns out too rough.

Odd. Embarked on a mountain. Completely flat.
Totally not complaining.

Guy wants lifeless desert.
Guy wants water, too.
Guy wants to have his dwarfcake and eat it, with elf frosting.

Also, maybe you havent spent too much time in the mountains, but high elevation plateaus are quite common features on the planet Earth.   
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:54:52 pm by daggaz »

Skelodwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Mica for it's perfect cleavage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »

Nah, it's not that, the embark site said it had level 5 cliffs. Which it didn't.

And yeah, I understand that for the purpose of playing dwarf fortress to lose, I'm not doing it right.
I just like the limitless creativity aspect, and for that purpose, I like very specific sites. Which are usually entirely flat, and made of sand.
I never really got that excited over Microcline... Oh wait, THAT blue stuff.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 06:44:35 pm »

Nah, it's not that, the embark site said it had level 5 cliffs. Which it didn't.

And yeah, I understand that for the purpose of playing dwarf fortress to lose, I'm not doing it right.
I just like the limitless creativity aspect, and for that purpose, I like very specific sites. Which are usually entirely flat, and made of sand.

If you want to find a cliff, look for an instant change from something high like 10 or * that leads straight to 0

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 06:55:24 pm »

How large are the deserts that you have tried embarking on?

Smaller deserts or embarks on the edge of deserts tend to have bits and pieces of the surrounding biome(s) mixed in with them. If there is a stream or river running through the area, that can also affect the plants as well as creating valleys and depressions.

Try to find a particularly large desert and embark in the center of it well away from any surface water features. I'd also recommend a Sandy Clay desert if you can find one; from what I have seen, grass won't grow on one of those even if you add in a wide variety of desert grasses.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »

I've gotten plenty of pure sand deserts. Also pure sand deserts with a volcano in the center and a stream running around the volcano. you just have to look for a place with both vegetation:NONE and trees:NONE.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 07:31:38 pm »

I've gotten plenty of pure sand deserts. Also pure sand deserts with a volcano in the center and a stream running around the volcano. you just have to look for a place with both vegetation:NONE and trees:NONE.

Well that is a find! However unless it was a flat volcano, kinda defeats the value of embarking in a desert :(

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 07:44:18 pm »

Well that is a find! However unless it was a flat volcano, kinda defeats the value of embarking in a desert :(

One finds a lot of finds like these with the Lazy Newb World presets for the Lazy Newb Pack. And volcanoes in the middle of a flat place do interesting things. Its all flat around, but suddenly the volcano rises up five or six z-levels at a Pi/4 angle.

/|   |\                   
so you end up with:     ____________/ |   | \_____________.

Therefore, you can carve the volcano into a tall castle, depending on its shape. A tall castle surrounded by flat....

A tall castle with a keep suspended in magma.

EDIT: I got tired of flat embarks a little while ago. Just makes the surface monotonous, and the outdoors smaller and less scary. When there are many z-levels to check, its easier for things to surprise you and catch you off guard. Just take some getting used to, the Z-level switching. Also, I like the challenge of building pump stacks, so volcanoes kinda steal that. Rivers are nice though.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 07:49:18 pm by Cellmonk »

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 08:56:38 pm »

Yeah, 5 doesn't refer to the steepness, but to elevation. Look for number, different number to find cliffs.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »

Rocky wastelands with no plant life are just about my favorite embarks

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2011, 05:06:30 am »

Deserts have plant life, lots of it, even the one in the posted picture...if u want lifeless... U need a martian desert...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2011, 06:38:59 am »

Deserts have plant life, lots of it, even the one in the posted picture...if u want lifeless... U need a martian desert...

Or pick a desert that says no trees, and no plant life :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2011, 03:06:37 pm »

Or pick a desert that says no trees, and no plant life :P

Or an ICE desert.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!
Pages: 1 [2] 3