Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun game  (Read 1481 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun game
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:28:05 am »

So I recently got into DF.  I first read about this game over at TVTropes a while back, and it sounded interesting.  So about two months ago, I finally decided to try it out.  I grabbed the Lazy Newb Pack, and looked at some of the YouTube tutorials linked in the topic.

My first fortress didn't last too long, I was goofing around with it while watching the videos and didn't like the way the first fort was turning out as I learned more about the game, so I soon abandoned it and started a new fort.  The next few embarks I abandoned, because they were all in colder environments and pools and such were frozen up, I thought I was on a mountain glacier or something and didn't realize they'd thaw (and I didn't know about moving the embark square around on the local area map either.  So I finally got one in a warm region. This fort was named Flickerbodice, and I took it about three years until I got dissatified with my inexperienced and inefficient delvings on that fortress as well.  It had some nice veins of gold right at the surface, but I never got around to utilizing them much, as I only had the most basic industries figured out and was still learning how to set up a metal industry. Then I learned about reclaiming and decided to try that out, and went back to one of the initial forts I abandoned, Saintroughness.  I don't know why I abandoned it, it was in a warm climate, and it had a nice valley between some low mountains which looked pretty defensible (and I improved on it a bit).  It also had some nice resources when I dug in, lots of magnetite and lignite.  But when I made the world I made it pretty small and turned stuff like savagery very low so I wouldn't get overwhelmed too soon.  But it was also dull, and I wanted a world that perhaps had better challenges, so I generated a new one.

I named my new fort this time, and named it Geshudrash, Fortressdeath.  I've been working on it for a few weeks, and I'm in my fifth year.  I've gotten the hang of the basic stuff, and tried out most of the dwarf industries (and learned which ones were lame).  I've fought off a couple of goblin invasions, and got a nice pitting/drowning chamber set up for them.  Fortressdeath has some gold below it and it's been bringing me in some wealth, but unfortunately I have no iron ores, so it looks like it's goblinite for me.  I'm in the process of setting up some outer fortifications to further harm the goblin scum, I'm building a tower where're I'm going to put a sculpture garden to help fight off cave adaptation, and I'm working on a pump stack to bring up magma from the depths.   Short term plans are to add a magma delivery system to the pitting chamer (cleaning up all those dead goblins is taking a lot of time, and the corpses generate misama as well), and learn how to make a water reactor.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Fun game
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 11:45:24 am »

(and learned which ones were lame).

LIES! LIES I TELL YOU!

Ok lol, but seriously welcome to the madness. You will not regret ever coming across DF :D

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 12:41:46 pm »

Yes, welcome!

Remember, if you stay dedicated, and work reaaally hard, you just may grow to be as great as me one day. Keep up the good work, champ. ;D

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 10:31:18 pm »

You will not regret ever coming across DF :D

I dunno.  I've always wanted to play a game that combined RPG elements with strategy elements in a big expansive world.  DF doesn't do this exactly, but it comes closer than any other game I've every seen.

Fortressdeath

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 12:06:04 am »

It'll do that more effectively in the comming updates. The great thing about DF is that it already has alot of content and its still getting huge updates from time to time that add alot of new things, so its aways good to check the site and support it, given that DF's ultimate goal is to become a game I've been wanting for quite a while.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011, 12:38:41 am »

How safe is it to attack FBs from behind fortifications with marksdwarves?  I have not one, but FOUR uninvited guests down in my first cavern layer and I want to get rid of them.  There are several parts of the cavern where it's a large open gallery over a big subterreanean lake and I'm thinking of carving some fortifications into the walls so I can shoot them down.  I'm worried about whatever special attacks these things have though. 

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011, 06:42:13 am »

How safe is it to attack FBs from behind fortifications with marksdwarves?  I have not one, but FOUR uninvited guests down in my first cavern layer and I want to get rid of them.  There are several parts of the cavern where it's a large open gallery over a big subterreanean lake and I'm thinking of carving some fortifications into the walls so I can shoot them down.  I'm worried about whatever special attacks these things have though.

Do any of them have any vapours or breath attacks? Otherwise yeah, it'd be very safe :P

Also, you'll regret ever playing DF because...

Dig. Dig digdigdig. Dig dig. Digdig.

DF is aweshum.

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011, 07:10:17 am »

Actually, I'm fairly certain that FBs and the like only used breath weapons when they can path to the target, so shooting them through fortifications should be fine just so long as they've got no actual way of reaching you.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011, 10:12:20 am »

Do any of them have any vapours or breath attacks? Otherwise yeah, it'd be very safe :P

To make things more !!FUN!! that cavern is now up to 5 FBs.  Here's what I got:

Well, to be on the safe side, I may have at least two sets of doors going into the shooting gallery and if they pick up something nasty, I'll lock the inner door and wall them in.  Better one squad of disposable marksdwarves than the entire fort.

Fortressdeath

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011, 10:15:31 am »

The one with the deadly dust is made of water, so it should die very quickly. The one with the fire will be more dangerous though, as it could set everything on fire...

Even when it dies...

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

Well, I'm not too worried about the chicken, even if all the dwarves somehow catch on fire from it, I can seal them in.  Or if it drops to the cavern floor and burns up the stuff growing there, I have the cavern sealed off from my fort with a pair of bridges.  Of course, if it drops into the water the fire shouldn't be a problem either, barring some really unpleasant surprises.

Fortressdeath

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 10:29:50 am »

Yes, welcome!

Remember, if you stay dedicated, and work reaaally hard, you just may grow to be as great as me one day. Keep up the good work, champ. ;D

LOLOLOLOLOL That's funny. No, you would have to grow up like me, having elves and Dwarves get married/have children, fight adamantine carp...
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011, 01:25:13 pm »

I have not one, but FOUR uninvited guests down in my first cavern layer and I want to get rid of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=EwtH5oQqHPg#t=164s
just make sure they cannot heal  8) or worse (some will not die depending on the material they are made of, if you don't hit them with the right weapon, so you better be sure your dorfs don't keep shooting at that water piece of shit until they die from dehydration  :D)

completely unrelated p.d. sry: boy i just wish those lame bastards from capcom used the titan random generator from this game to design new critters for monster hunter, they would end up with monsters twice as bizarre and not so dumb looking  :-\
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 09:59:38 pm »

Welcome to the community. Drop your coat and hat on the rack, deposit your sanity in the box to your right, and your sense of morality on the left. You won't be needing them here.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 07:02:26 am »

What sanity?

Fortressdeath
Pages: [1] 2