Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Co-op RPG games  (Read 10428 times)

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Co-op RPG games
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »

I've been searching around for a decent co-op/multiplayer rpg to dive into over the holidays, but haven't yet been able to find one which is particularly alluring. I'm not necessarily looking for an mmo--just an rpg that could hold one's interest for a good two to three weeks and has LAN/multiplayer capabilities. The more open-worldy/sandboxy the better.

Games of this sort I've played:

Din's Curse/other Diablo variants
.....That's it, really. While those games are fun, they get repetitive a bit too quickly. If you guys know any co-op rpgs that are a bit more intricate/deep in terms of the game-world, skills/classes/races, and general rpg flare, I'd be happy to hear of them  :D.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op RPG games
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 09:09:13 pm »

Not exactly open world, but very very fun nonetheless. Especially with friends. Lord of the Rings: War in the North is great fun and will probably hold your interest for a couple of weeks if not more. It's fairly linear, but that didn't bother me when I played.

anexiledone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:19:48 pm »

Neverwinter Nights 1&2 + expansions.

I used to do a lot of lan stuff with my friends, and it was a lot of fun. There is also an insane amount of mod content for both games that make the adventures pretty endless. Hell, the toolset is even easy enough for you to make your own.

You can also check out Titan Quest. Basically diablo set in greek mythology.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »

TomeNET :P

There's also MUDs and suchlike.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dr.Feelgood

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarven Barricade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:38 pm »

Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale series, Diablo series, Neverwinter Nights series, Dungeon Siege series, Mass Effect 3, Din's Curse, Dungeon Lords, Magicka, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and Overlord 1 & 2.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:15:50 pm »

rpg that could hold one's interest for a good two to three weeks and has LAN/multiplayer capabilities

co-op rpgs that are a bit more intricate/deep in terms
of the game-world, skills/classes/races, and general rpg flare

You might try Neverwinter Nights. It has a lot of flavor that's missing from Diablo. Also, World of Warcraft is free to play up to level 20. Not sure if these will keep you occupied for 2-3 weeks though.

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »

Thanks for the replies. Neverwinter Nights seems interesting, I'll give it a look.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 02:58:45 am »

Neverwinter Nights is boss. Check out the persistent servers, I recommend Escaped from the Underdark if you like a dark setting, solid RP thats related to plot and not a bunch of weird posturing or wings and tails BS. Its got a great story and great DM team.
I got nothing

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 02:47:38 pm »

I always thought there needs to be more multiplayer rpg's, not mmo's not online, just multiplayer,
sorry for necro'ing this thread but it came up while I was searching for a different thread and realized I had something really cool to say that most of you probabbly had no idea about.

first of all, my favorite tactical rpg of all time is shining force 2 for sega genesis.  After I beat it around 8-10 times I found out you can play it multiplayer. (it's a secret and I wasn't supposed to tell you)
there is a code that you can enter on the menu screen that I don't remember off the top of my head, but it lets 2nd player control the enemy.  it was a breath of life that game needed for me to play it again.  because after beating it on the hardest difficulty a few times it gets boring.  so now I play it every once in a while with a friend and see if they can out strategize me.
again sorry for the necro. just thought some of you would find that interesting.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:13:18 pm »

http://wanderlustgame.com/

Pretty addictive game, It doesn't have much of an open world and no real sandbox elements, but the combats good and there's some decent variation in the skill trees and it has some crafting elements as well. The sites game page can give more information than I can though. Good luck finding something. :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:16:31 pm »

I got Titan Quest Gold, and had some pretty fun times cooping with my wife. It's just a modern Diable remake, classically themed. It's nice :)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

Not open world, but Neverwinter Nights 2's campaign was fun to play (and laugh at) with a friend because of how ridiculous everything was. NWN1's campaign, on the other hand, was kinda boring and uneventful. Maybe the mods and expansions make it worthwhile, though.

I can't actually think of a non-MMO open world co-op RPG. I was about to say Two Worlds 2, but despite the singleplayer being open world, the co-op there is a linear romp.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 04:02:53 pm »

Try Sacred series if you like. It is better than Titan Quest in term of open-worldness. Titan Quest has linear map, but Sacred series have HUGE map that you can even explore when you start the game.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 05:03:34 pm »

System Shock 2, is very much fun if played in multiplayer with up to 4 people CoOp. If you like FPS RPGs.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 07:37:59 pm »

The Mount and Blade series have a couple of co-op mods. Battletime would be fun for some local lan gaming. Some of the best combat one can find in a game.

I also second Neverwinter Nights, it sounds like just what you want. I was just playing it last night. Get it from GOG.com, plenty of user made modules and mods out there that keep it fresh including some great graphic packs.
Pages: [1] 2