Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Recommend me a musical instrument  (Read 6649 times)

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a musical instrument
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2011, 09:01:20 pm »

Like many others have said, the ocarina is good. It is small and easy to learn.
I got one last summer when I had surgery. I was amazed at how quickly I picked it up.
Here is a few videos of the instrument (I'm not in any of them).
PS: Docjazz4 on youtube has a bunch of explination videos which really helped me to figure out how to play it (I also got stuck teaching myself to play)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikaAxw022rk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuHy2CNa4bo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0zOlWBNemA&feature

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2011, 09:02:29 pm »

Violin creates tones of sadness and doom, its probably hard to play, but i dont know.
Yes, it is often considered to the one of the hardest instruments to learn

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2011, 09:31:47 pm »

Violin creates tones of sadness and doom, its probably hard to play, but i dont know.
what, thats easy to play, i learn violin faster than piano, piano was the last instrument for me to learn due to so many keys.

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »

what, thats easy to play, i learn violin faster than piano, piano was the last instrument for me to learn due to so many keys.

Really??? I looked into learning the violin a few months ago and everything I read said it was hard.
I'll have to look into it again, I really would like to learn that instument

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 09:37:23 pm »

Maybe if you have perfect pitch, it'd be easy.  I studied violin for 9 years, played in a professional-level youth symphony, and still felt like I got nowhere.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 09:42:03 pm »

Maybe if you have perfect pitch, it'd be easy.  I studied violin for 9 years, played in a professional-level youth symphony, and still felt like I got nowhere.
*shrugs*
my genius was in percussion instruments.

kinglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • mpmarimba
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2011, 12:19:17 am »

*shrugs*
my genius was in percussion instruments.

years of timpani let me play some easy tunes on the violin without problems, they sound easy and expressive - being >good< at the violin is a different game. I have no idea how that little instrument can play, i.e. Bach's Chaconne. It's hard enough on the marimba!

The piano drives me nuts - all of the octaves are the same size!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 01:10:35 am »

you really need to train your muscles to change notes quickly without breaking the musical flow. sometimes it helps to have a tempo going through your mind, your foot, and your hand before you start playing anything.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 10:59:44 am »

The piano is a wonderful instrument, it also probably has the biggest repertoire.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 03:33:48 pm »

I'm kind of leaning towards flute because it supposedly isn't too hard, and it seems quite portable. Portability is kindof the keypoint in this, I think. More portability and concealability, more chances that I'm lugging it around, and more chances that I'll dedicate it some time...
Flutes are probably one step up in difficulty from the harmonica. Since they don't have reeds your manner of breathing has much more effect on quality of sound, though how much depends on the type of flute. And getting the full range out of a flute requires half covering holes, etc, but that's no more difficult than, say, overbending on a harmonica.

Maybe if you have perfect pitch, it'd be easy.
Even then, the very act of holding a violin is comparatively difficult. Plus the instrument's tonal sensitivity is unprecedented and requires an extreme delicacy of touch. I'd say the violin is the most difficult instrument I've ever played.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 04:32:27 pm »

I'm kind of leaning towards flute because it supposedly isn't too hard, and it seems quite portable. Portability is kindof the keypoint in this, I think. More portability and concealability, more chances that I'm lugging it around, and more chances that I'll dedicate it some time...
Flutes are probably one step up in difficulty from the harmonica. Since they don't have reeds your manner of breathing has much more effect on quality of sound, though how much depends on the type of flute. And getting the full range out of a flute requires half covering holes, etc, but that's no more difficult than, say, overbending on a harmonica.

Maybe if you have perfect pitch, it'd be easy.
Even then, the very act of holding a violin is comparatively difficult. Plus the instrument's tonal sensitivity is unprecedented and requires an extreme delicacy of touch. I'd say the violin is the most difficult instrument I've ever played.
Try Viola or double bass....

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2011, 05:59:31 pm »

Cant belive you havent taken my first suggestion of the Theramin seriously! :P
This is a blank sig.

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2011, 06:43:49 pm »

BTW, which instrument is hardest to play? Violin and its "family" or are there any other harder instruments (I'd really like to know)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:54:43 pm by DarkWolfXV »
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2011, 06:44:50 pm »

I've heard the violin family is hardest, but French horn also has quite a reputation.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2011, 08:39:28 pm »

I've heard the violin family is hardest, but French horn also has quite a reputation.
French horn...... ..
I can't describe the many flaws with that tool, go for a trumpet  people
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4