Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Useless stuff slowing down my fortress and some questions  (Read 667 times)

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
Useless stuff slowing down my fortress and some questions
« on: December 23, 2011, 01:55:31 pm »

So I have a few questions...

1. My dwarves really are doing alot shit and I discovered that they work WAY faster when there are just a few dwarves in my fortress (for example mason building a fortress) and its way slower when theres alot more masons, how to fix it?
2. I have loads of stone that must be cleared before I can mine deeper to find metals, and I have no idea how to clear my fortress off stone without having to atomize it
3. Are all flux stones white? xD
4. My soldiers aren't training... They have barracks, they have ammunition, they have shooting ranges. I have made barracks, and set them to (sleep) and (train), then made room with shooting ranges and selected (train) on one of them (but selected whole room and selected from left to right). They don't do anything, just sit in barracks and I want to train them before goblin ambush comes in (eta about 15minutes :/)
5. How to get rid of flies that annoy my dwarves
6. I have about 15 or so farmers... they aren't planting anything on farms, they have seeds and I selected what to plant for all four seasons -_-
I think that's all ATM I might have forget about some things I needed

Thanks

@edit
My masons aren't taking stone from stockpiles, but instead they're walking miles to get stone.
And, I have seen some dwarves when building objects they were clearing construction site before building, but now most of them suspend construction and leave it instead of clearing construction site. How to fix that?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:05:03 pm by PijanySmok »
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
Re: Useless stuff slowing down my fortress and some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:06:42 pm »

1. I Don't Know
2. Quantum Stockpile
3. Yes
4. Have you made them active in the (m)ilitary screen, also schedule in (m)ilitary screen
5. Cats
6. Are they all set to farming in the labor?
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »

Ofc they are.

So now fucking fail, my soldiers died to one goblin, but my legendary +5 miner killed most goblins then died. So stupid.

@edit
What's quantum stockpile lol xD
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 02:25:52 pm by PijanySmok »
Why my pic doesn't work?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 02:20:29 pm »

1: Lots of individuals (dwarves, animals or other entities) will reduce your FPS - lots of masons will take less time to build a structure, its just your CPU would take longer to process that time.

2: Lots of rock pots, stone crafts, or pointless big tower in the sky to drop stuff off.

3: Repeating the yes.

4: Dont select the whole room - set archery ranges as individual small ones in a narrow rectangle sort of shape.

5: Lots of cats.

6: IIRC, planters will not plant seeds if there isnt enough time for them to germinate before the end of the current season.

Extras: Masons will select the nearest stone to them in a straight line when working in a workshop, or will path to the stone you selected when ordering a construction. Small stone stockpiles near building sites are your pal.

The cancellation is probably caused by a stone lying in the square that is marked for use by a job elsewhere. Your dwarves will refuse to touch it until someone carries out the job, removing it for you.

If your soldiers had little or no armour, of course one enemy soldier will wipe them out - probably going to happen if they are all greenhorns anyway. Miners make decent soldiers in a pinch, which isnt suprising if they make a living using a pick axe. Some people actually armor them up and use them as soldiers, with mining being thier training.
This is a blank sig.

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »

They have stockpile of stone filled with stones I told them to build with, but they still don't use it.

Again, what's quantum stockpile?
Why my pic doesn't work?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 02:39:30 pm »

They have stockpile of stone filled with stones I told them to build with, but they still don't use it.

Again, what's quantum stockpile?

Its a dump. Set a single zone as a dump with i, then designate the stone for dump (Have NO stone stockpiles) and the dwarves with dump everything on that one tile making infinite amounts of stone storable on one tile. Speed this up by using DFhack to teleport everything marked for dump onto one tile if you are a lazy impatient person like me.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Gr33kjester

• Bay Watcher
  • Marxism - For those who VALUE their Booze...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:41:36 pm »

Quantum Stockpile = A single "Garbage" Area, were you dump things, then, go d - b - d, select all your stones, and go, you will have to reclaim them by d - b - c, then you have a single tile with all your stuff dumped (and hopefully reclaimed) on it ready for use
This is an enscribed adamantine dwarf-leg hammer.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes OF SHEER AWESOMENESS.