Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Colonization/Town Management Games  (Read 16289 times)

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Colonization/Town Management Games
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:53:58 pm »

I'm looking for something similar to Sid Meir's Colonization, in that you establish colonies, and interact with other colonies and the home country, but with more in-depth management of your settlements. Any recommendations?

Similar games I've already tried:
    Unreal World
    Colonization
    Mars Colony Simulator

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Colonization/Town Management Games
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 01:13:49 pm »

This topic is relevant to my interests.
*Hugs*

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 01:32:09 pm »

This topic is relevant to my interests.

Thats what she said! >.>

Anyways...I would like to see a real time game of this nature...turn based are not as entertaining and I have been looking for a good city management game.

I prefer to avoid games with simple "lay out in this exact mathematical grid and win".

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:35:30 pm »

-
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:34:51 pm by Stany »

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:36:05 pm »

I could enjoy a similar find. Is free too much to hope for?
This is a blank sig.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:59:39 pm »

I was gonna recommend Age of Empires, but since you said 'more in-depth management', you could try Towns. I haven't played it before, so I can;t tell you my opinion on it.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 02:45:29 pm »

Unreal World? thats a great survival sim, but I never considered it similar to colonization  ???

I'm interested in this genre as well, but haven't really played too many games in the same vein.

Freecol is a remake of the old Colonization. Last time I played it had a lot of bugs, but that was a few years back so I'm not sure how feature complete it is now.

Expedition: The New World is another one that looks promising, but I believe it's still in a pretty early stage.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 03:22:08 pm »

yeah, I forgot to list that. Hazeron doesn't really have the depth I'm looking for though.. there's no actual challenge to establishing and maintaining colonies, other than visiting often enough to stop decay.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 03:41:33 pm »

You could try the Anno series they are mostly focused on colonization and town management.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 06:03:21 pm »

I'd go for the latest Anno game, I really enjoy it.

I prefer to avoid games with simple "lay out in this exact mathematical grid and win".

There is some of that maybe, but to be honest I don't see how any game could avoid that. People are always going to find the optimal layout. If it really bothers you, don't look up the layouts and figure them out for yourself; that's part of the fun.

Its not that I look up these layouts or anything...it just sucks when you find some magic auto win layout strategy. It would be fairly preventable by having some random variables in the way certain things were calculated in these games or something.

Though to be fair when I find these things I try and do what I do in DF. Make some odd self inflicted goal or something. Just a lot of these games don't allow that or have the room to allow many.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 06:04:53 pm by dennislp3 »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

There is Conlan's Claim which has it's own thread around here somewhere, still in development tho, but it looks pretty boss so I think it's very much worth the wait ^^
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 08:58:50 pm »

You could try Patrician 3 - it's a historical trading/city-builder.   You start out as a lowly merchant with a trading warehouse, and can build up cities where you trade/live, set up trade routes, become the mayor of the city (and eventually rule the whole Hanse...maybe).   It's  complex and the designers got a pretty decent simulation of supply and demand in, so there are better strategies and worse strategies but no guaranteed combo moves.  I'm having a blast with it. :) http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/patrician_3

The Guild, The Nations and Caesar 3 all seem pretty similar to what you've described.  I haven't played those yet though, so YMMV.

All the above games are from GOG.com.  They also have Settlers 2 and a bunch of other similar games. They're having a 50% off sale on almost every game right now, so that's a bonus. 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »

I'd go for the latest Anno game, I really enjoy it.

There is some of that maybe, but to be honest I don't see how any game could avoid that. People are always going to find the optimal layout. If it really bothers you, don't look up the layouts and figure them out for yourself; that's part of the fun.

Its not that I look up these layouts or anything...it just sucks when you find some magic auto win layout strategy. It would be fairly preventable by having some random variables in the way certain things were calculated in these games or something.

Though to be fair when I find these things I try and do what I do in DF. Make some odd self inflicted goal or something. Just a lot of these games don't allow that or have the room to allow many.

Anno with small islands will not allow you to make the best layouts as crap will be in the way. 1503 has extensive colonist needs.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 10:43:39 pm »

Anno series
Port Royale
Mount and Blade with Custom Settlements mod
Towns
Haven and Hearth

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 10:56:32 pm »

This thread is extremely relevent to my interests. Alpha Centauri is a good one if you haven't played it. Also if you're into survival games, Stranded 2 is good and free.
Pages: [1] 2