Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Awesome Last Stands  (Read 3710 times)

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Last Stands
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 12:53:29 am »

I'll let the pic do the talking.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How the heck did that happen?  :o Also did you manage to kill any of them before being ripped to pieces?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 01:42:34 am »

I was playing 40d. I had just attacked a town and I was searching for the high priest. He was at the top of the temple. The moment I saw him, he shot me in the leg. I hid behind some pillars, popping out occasionly to fire at him. He shot me several times in other places, including the stomach. I popped out of cover, firing a shot as I did so. It hit him straight in the head and knocked him off of the temple, killing him.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 02:11:32 am »

Did you die?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:27 am »

Did you die?
Nope. I ran, healed up and proceeded to massacre the town. I killed about 632 people in that run.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 03:24:14 pm »

I'll let the pic do the talking.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How the heck did that happen?  :o Also did you manage to kill any of them before being ripped to pieces?

Villagers told me to kill a consort of the moon ogre. Turns out they had been busy spawning babies...

Also, the consort was wielding a steel carving knife.

I might elaborate on what happened later, but I'm going to leave it on a cliff hanger for now :P

lionstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 03:43:08 pm »

In genesis my 22 goblin/barghest army was ambushed by a huge army of dusk elves.
We killed them off with several casualties and bad wounds. After regrouping we traveled a few tiles away and tried to rest again, only to be attacked by an even larger bunch of dusk elves. I woke up in the  middle of the fighting with three elven bowmen standing 4 tiles away. Two singing arrows hit me in the gut and one hit my throat. With my remaining goblins dying around me and my character enraged, I decapitated the 3 elven bowmen and cut two wrestlers in half as well as shattering the skull of their leader with my fist before bleeding to death.

Later I made a demigod and found the same group of elves and slaughtered all of them while in a martial trance and with 3 nord spearmen.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 07:34:01 pm »

Slight derail, but for a half decent melee adventurer bogeymen for the most part are not especially deadly; if you're patient you can consistently defeat them.

The trick is to only fight them one at a time and to pick your shots; You back off until they're following you in a line, then wait for one of them to catch up to you, check to see if you've got a good shot against it, if you do, you strike, otherwise you move. You can repeat the process until you run out of room or bogeymen.

alaric91

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 11:17:48 pm »

Speaking of bogeymen...

With the upcoming new release, I decided to do something crazy, and eventually settled on trying to bring about the Age of Emptiness. I had a good start with it too; I wiped out three villages, had 151 kills, made myself a legendary Hammerman and Fighter, professional dodger, and had just managed to pick up my first real armor off a companion I'd turned against me. Then, a peasant caught me in the hand with his knife, then again in the other hand. There goes my maul and superhumanly strong punching hand. Simultaneously, in the worst display of luck I've ever had, a Pump Operator caught me in the leg. So I'm not only weaponless, but down. I managed to kick my enemies to death and limp away, hoping to find a place to rest away my ills and have another go. Then the cackling starts. Half a dozen bogeymen, on all sides. I couldn't limp away fast enough to get away from them, so I charged into them, laughing, with only the effective use of my legs. Managed to kick all but one of them to death before the last one got in a lucky hit.

Tawki Summittress the Humorous Beast. The most evil woman to ever live, but she went out like a boss as far as I'm concerned.

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 01:48:35 am »

I had a human adventurer who had slain many bandits, goblins, a minotaur, two hydras, and a hill Titan with only one functional arm and using a pick as my primary weapon. I had managed to destroy hordes of goblin ambushers mostly single-handedly. Unfortunately, after an ambush killed off all but one man I was ambushed again. This time, a goblin warlord was leading the attack. My companion, who was missing a hand and a leg, was still asleep and was promptly stabbed in the face at the start of the encounter. Goblins took a few potshots at me while I was asleep but to no avail. I managed to kill three of them by methodically "liberating" arms and legs before the master showed up. One of the goblins charged me and managed to knock me over. The master sauntered up and casually stabbed me in the foot with his masterwork iron pike, shattering the bone. I aimed a few shots at him but he was too quick and jumped away from all of them. Attacks by his compatriots were laughably unsuccessful. We traded a few hits (most of which were blocked or only bruises) until he stabbed me in my good hand, a motor nerve was severed. So now with two useless arms and no shield to block hits from the lessers, I began to take some serious damage. I managed to kick a goblin's head in and break the master's arm before I bled to death. I was glad that I didn't give in to pain. Dieing like that always makes me feel like a chump  ::)

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 02:33:15 pm »

I took on agiraffe, once. It was just for fun, and it was only going to be a one time thing. I got that announcement that says "Are you sure you want to attack Giraffe", and of course I did. Why not? So I killed him, and I proceeded to walk off down the river, when I was suddenly attacked by one of the giraffe's friends. He thrust me into the river, where I was eaten alive by carp.

So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 07:39:13 pm »

This one frost wyrm (Genesis). I go in in hunting gear, after his bones for weapons and trophies and skin for precious deep hides. Strategy being the ol' lure out to avoid close quarters dragonfrost, hit and let bleed. I get him in the gut, severing an artery so I know he's done for. Time to make a run for it, except - he strikes like a rattlesnake and shatters my left foot, causing enormous pain. I land flat on my back, with a frost wyrm's head towering over me.

The next 15 minutes are something of a haze, but somehow I manage to crawl out of the cave before it fills with frost and roll out of the way of every single one of his vicious swipes, just moving my broken body across the ground as he's flailing murderously at me. I even manage to avoid his lethal blasts of frost with a good dose of luck, rolling to his side when he's firing, and land some further stabs on his body (I find that lashing at the enemy madly in defense helps you stay alive). Everything seems to be going well - but then he grabs a hold of my arm, which is mangled, and everything goes black. I'm sure I'm done for, but to my own surprise I wake up, one arm and one leg shattered, still in pain, in front of the maws of a dead frost wyrm.

Miraculously, there isn't even any nerve damage (other than loss of vision from one frost blast I couldn't dodge entirely). Everything seems like it will heal with time, but the wyrm bones must not decay. So I manage to drag my butchering tool over there and grab his bones and leather in the same hand, my bag being disintegrated in the fight. I fall asleep there, waiting to don my frost wyrm armor, admire my glorious scars of battle that will be added to an already-sizable collection of memories of wolves and titans, and share the legends.

I wake up just long enough to see with my damaged eyes a night creature use my skull for a soccer ball. Had I walked 5 more squares to actually INSIDE the cave...
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »

Playing with a kobold outsider in genesis is rather fun if you can manage to find a cave to set up a base of operations... Anyway, one such kobold found a cave after nearly being mauled by a horde of scorpions. I managed to kill the nightcreature inside with my trusty spear chucking abilities and slept for the night. I woke up fast traveled towards a nearby village, but on the way I was ambushed by a sea monster... in the middle of the desert... To compound my already hopeless predicament, I was trapped in a dried up pond...

I think I'm going to generate a desert world devoid of most civilization for my kobolds to survive in. At least that would eliminate the threat of bogeymen.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

NinjaDude

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 05:02:48 pm »

In one of my first adventurer games that I had actually known what I was doing, I had a rather silly (but awesome) last stand. I had recently completed some quest to kill some outlaw. Upon completing it, I decided to venture out into a tundra. I see a polar bear! I thought that it should be easy to kill, seeing as how I had stomped the bandits beforehand. Wrong. With a couple of attacks my poor dwarf was dragging himself through a blizzard, blood trailing behind him and the polar bear coming into his field of view only to make potshots at him. But had remembered something! I had taken a bandit head as a trophy, and it was in my backpack. Half desperate and half curious as to what exactly would happen, I had my dwarf hurl the head at the bear.

Brutal head to head collision. The polar bear dropped dead. My dwarf cackled with the last bit of strength he had, and then bled out in the snow.

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 08:04:01 am »

My most awesome and badass adventurer. Never bought anything, gathered iron full set except for boots, racked up 10+ sidekicksmeatshields, some of them went pretty good, two had their feet damaged. Nevertheless, I rushed through some camps with my guys mutilating lone wolves in mere frames, defeated the dark creature and received a quest to go and find someone far away. I settled off.
Ambush.
At the day.
Gobbos.
Elephants for extra fun.
I have destroyed some ambushes before, but now, in the storm of fight reports, I an brought on my knees, my foot slashed apart. The damn foot. Should have some boots. I stumble through the carnage and the goblin overlord Zom Gearedmalice the Dipped Conqueror of Princes stands before me. As the fun proceeds, my party is split, and the boss paralyses my arms with the lucky strike at the spine. I crumble away with the gobbo kicking his toes off on my armor, and eventually life leaves me.
Here lies Kepfu Playscorches the Weak Growths of Purging, the spearman. Born 210, died 245.
35 kills, 35 years old. Irony?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:23:10 am by Ascimator »
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2012, 10:05:12 am »

I forget the name, but one of my adventurers managed to fight off an ambush while crippled in his sleep.

He woke up to smashed legs, promptly tranced and ripped the limbs off the goblins with his bare hands.

He bled to death soon afterwards...
Pages: 1 [2]