Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Payday: the heist, omg zombies are shooting  (Read 1641 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Payday: the heist, omg zombies are shooting
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:22:42 am »

I've got this game on sale from the steam christmas specials, I have to say I'm really liking it.

the basic gameplay remains that of left for dead, with the twist that now you're robbing banks and doing stuff, engaging the law instead that the zombies.

but, while left for death was encouraging strategic, cooperative gameplay via killing you merciless if you didn't work as a team, payday has some mechanics that let the action flow better and the group act as a team even when everyone is a noob.

probably it's because the opposition now shoot, so you have time to take cover and fall back instead of being stranded and divided. probably because the police comes from less attack direction so you have a basic idea of what to expect next.

still, it works nicely and keeps the group close and the action flowing. there is a warning before enemy waves, so you have time to split up if there is a secondary objective to reach and to cancel if you did not manage to reach it.

I was actually surprised at how even new players (there was a stampede of gift reaching people on the servers) weren't doing anything stupid, given that playing l4d with seasoned friends resulted in frustration due to ramboes getting killed and wasting medpack and people barricading on ammo caches and wasting medpack.

l4d didn't tell you what you were doing wrong, it just killed you end game for an error in the starting moves, and I think it's that the cause of people not learning how to play it effectively. payday is more direct in that regard.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZ86LwT8y0&feature=relmfu
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:39:21 am by LoSboccacc »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Payday: the heist, omg zombies are shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 03:44:17 am »

Does every game need a Zombie mode these days? I'm starting to think the game industry is trying to unite all games with a single zombie game mode singularity to open the portal to Ghd'rta'fja'fha and summon the Consumer of Worlds.

EDIT: Why are they robbing banks when there's a Zombie Apocalypse? Surely money would de-value quite a bit in favour of survival supplies.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:54:21 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 03:45:54 am »

Does every game need a Zombie mode these days? I'm starting to think the game industry is trying to unite all games with a single zombie game mode singularity to open the portal to Ghd'rta'fja'fha and summon the Consumer of Worlds.

What stinks is they STILL havn't made a proper zombie game and I doubt they ever will.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 05:23:29 am »

It's not a zombie game, it's a L4D style game where you pull oh various heists (such as bank robberies) and have to fight off police while doing so. So L4D except more objective based instead of moving around based, and with police instead of zombies.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 06:13:49 am »

My mistake, I'd admit I was tired and skimmed over the post and the title and various references to zombies made me assume it was about some sort of Zombie DLC to Payday. The writing was rather confusing.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:47:28 am »

I know, right? And with games that are moddable, it seems like half the mods are about zombies.

I've seen some gameplay of payday and it seems very fun; the dynamic spawning points works well with its robbers vs cops theme, though the AI comes across as dumb.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:05 am »

Sounds interesting since I'm a fan of the L4D playstyle... most likely won't get it anytime soon though.  Too many other games I be playing now and... I still pop open L4D every now and then.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 10:11:58 am »

Sounds interesting since I'm a fan of the L4D playstyle... most likely won't get it anytime soon though.  Too many other games I be playing now and... I still pop open L4D every now and then.

This pretty much sums up my feelings on it.  :-\

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable