Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would like a recommendation for a new MUD/MOO to play...  (Read 4075 times)

Mullet Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Would like a recommendation for a new MUD/MOO to play...
« on: December 22, 2011, 12:56:56 am »

As the title says, I'm looking for a new MUD.

Here's the ones I've played most recently and what I thought of them. I like modern/sci-fi type MUDs but who knows? I'd like to see what the DF community is actively interested in, since I've found most people on this board play the kind of games I do (including DF, ha, ha!)

HellMOO - Fantastic code, but I played it when you had to spend 4 IRL hours in the gym a day weightlifting to get a little stat gain. Once that was fixed, SA came in and pretty much ruined everything, no longer fun.

CoreMUD -  Had a lot of fun with it, mining and goofing around.
               This game should have been a lot more popular than what it is/was - I think admins had a big part with killing it

Awakenedworlds - Was a long time player there. Enjoyed the player base, RP was good, virtually nothing happened to expand the in game stuff in my years there. Finally some changes have came about but no longer interested.

Sindome - Fantastic setting. Haven't played it for 5 years now. Absolutely impossible to do anything without admin present. Frustrating as hell to do even minor things, basically figured out it really was only a couple of people total on there.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would like a recommendation for a new MUD/MOO to play...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 01:11:18 am »

Used to play a lot of Medievia and a few other muds. Had fun for a while, but eventually grew out of them. Occasionally go back and take a look at some of them.

Give Medievia a try anyway, it's definitely got a large world and some features I've not seen elsewhere. Decent playerbase last time I checked, even if they do tend to be mostly on the higher end of the scale.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 01:34:25 am »

Armageddon MUD is good if you want a intense RP experience. A lot of the events that happen in game are often shaped or set off by the players. The learning curve is a bit tough though.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:46 am »

Pretty sure TG from that website we shall not name, made one, too.... fatmu

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 03:11:22 am »

I haven't played in a long, long time, but when I did, Discworld was fantastic. The people were friendly, the environments were huge monumental in scope, and the humor was plentiful. Looks like the same people still run it, so it should still be pretty good.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 06:11:06 am »

Armageddon MUD is good if you want a intense RP experience. A lot of the events that happen in game are often shaped or set off by the players. The learning curve is a bit tough though.

Seconding Armageddon.  I've literally never found a higher standard of RP anywhere.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:09:32 am »

If you're into Tolkien stuff, but with a more believable or realistic streak to it, you might want to try Shadows of Isildur, a roleplay-intensive mod. No number-crunching, and in fact, no numbers whatsoever. Played that a lot back in the day :)

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 11:01:09 am »

I second the Discworld MUD. The world is huge and detailed, the syntax is incredibly natural, the people and admin are friendly and the seamstresses are lovely.
RP is available but rather loose unless you join an RP club. Most people stay in character depending on the situation though. And almost everyone will play along just fine if you decide to RP a lot. Updates and tweaks to existing mechanics are frequent, and there are a lot of new areas and things in the works so development is still very active.

Only downside is the lack of a skill cap which left combat feel a bit broken/unbalanced if you go PK or reach stupidly high levels. But it's still fun, and with some luck and preparation anyone can be killed. Or you can just slip some money towards the Assassin's Guild.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 11:09:17 am »

I honestly wasn't a big fan of Armageddon, truth be told. The RP is good, the players are dedicated, but the gameworld is strict as all hell in a lot of ways that I find incredibly boring, and the existing player base is quite hostile to newcomers is often welcoming, from what I understand, but I didn't have a good initial experience. The setting really isn't much to my liking either. And they shut me down hard when I started trying to link images for my cartography business I wanted my character to start up. Actually, their strict rules against any sort of artwork or music or anything non-textual being shared in game, even if it would greatly improve the roleplay, was what eventually drove me out. Sorry, but I need my multimedia efforts.

While not, technically, a MUD, Improbable Island has numerous similarities and I've had some amazing Roleplay there. Of course, it's got a pretty unique atmosphere, and the roleplaying quality of the various players is pretty hit or miss.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:36:01 pm by GlyphGryph »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

the existing player base is quite hostile to newcomers

Could you elaborate a little on that for me?  My initial experience was of people going out of their way (possibly a little too much at times) to help my nooby self get into the game.  I've always tried to extend the same courtesy to others as well, to the extent of once spending around two RL hours taking an obvious newbie on a drunken wander (basically an excuse to show them around and help them acclimatise to the game).

Please don't take this as a personal challenge or anything, I'm just generally curious what made you think this and eager to help make things easier for newbies.  I'll bring up any interesting points you raise on their forums and hopefully get a bit of discussion going on over there.  Feel free to pm me a response if you'd rather keep it out of this thread (trying to avoid derailing this too much :p)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:35:17 pm »

May have just been luck, truth be told, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Thinking back on it, the second character attempt was a lot more welcoming, even if I didn't last long because I was getting tired of the other bits at that point.

It /may/ have just been the mod reaction I got for asking if I could link to images that turned me off, combined with the fact that I started the first character in a bad place. ;)

Actually, the BIGGEST problem for me was the extreme lack of informational resources for in game stuff any new character would know but doesn't. I don't want to have to spend a dozen hours doing bullshit roleplay based around figuring out stuff I should already know since I am hypothetically a native of the city.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 12:37:07 pm by GlyphGryph »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 12:41:23 pm »

May have just been luck, truth be told, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Thinking back on it, the second character attempt was a lot more welcoming, even if I didn't last long because I was getting tired of the other bits at that point.

It /may/ have just been the mod reaction I got for asking if I could link to images that turned me off, combined with the fact that I started the first character in a bad place. ;)

Ah, that's fair enough.  I'm going to assume that bad place was the Labyrinth (where my first PC started too) and strongly recommend that anyone trying out Arm for the first time avoid the 'Rinth like the plague.  It's nasty in there.

As far as images are concerned, do any of the RPIs allow them?  I've played Armageddon, Atonement and Shadow of Isildur without coming across any whatsoever.  I prefer it that way myself, but can definitely put that down to mere personal preference.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 12:58:37 pm »

Actually, the BIGGEST problem for me was the extreme lack of informational resources for in game stuff any new character would know but doesn't. I don't want to have to spend a dozen hours doing bullshit roleplay based around figuring out stuff I should already know since I am hypothetically a native of the city.
I remember that when I tried to create a character, the first attempt was rejected because the person reviewing it didn't see something that was clearly there. I believe the second submit was rebutted with something rather reasonable and I think I changed something before submitting the third time. The third time it was totally rejected on account of being "too silly".
Anyway, my own personal favorite MUD in terms of always returning to it eventually is MUME. Great representation of Arda stretching from the Grey Havens to Lorien, set some time before The Hobbit. Great choice of different races from Trolls (who can permadie due to the sun) to orcs to elves to hobbits to men, etc. Only real issue imo is how most people don't seem to roleplay very much, at least definitely not in PvP.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 01:06:21 pm »

Ah, that's fair enough.  I'm going to assume that bad place was the Labyrinth (where my first PC started too) and strongly recommend that anyone trying out Arm for the first time avoid the 'Rinth like the plague.  It's nasty in there.
Got it in one, heh.

And I tend to play RP-heavy but far less strictly themed games, and I've never had a problem swapping images before. Since my character's whole purpose was built around drawing and selling maps for money... I couldn't do so in game because my character would have had to have known how to "read and write", even if I just wanted to sell things that were describing the image on them or have ascii based images without any actual words involved. And I couldn't link to actual images. And I'd spent many hours working on the character based around exploration and cartography (I was a dwarf and that was his thing) and getting it through the approval process only to realize every single thing he was based on was literally impossible for completely OOC reasons. My character had become impossible to play, my reasonable roleplay hooks were gone, and I'd wasted a great deal of time to discover it. And the mod was pretty damned rude about it if I remember correctly, though I may not.

Even with my second character, I quickly discovered the only kinds of roleplaying that were really encouraged where kinds I really wasn't interested in. And to do anything interesting you had to sink a lot of time into doing incredibly boring stuff to "earn" the right to play an interesting character.

I'm not saying its a bad game, I'm just saying it really doesn't suit my own, personal play style. It's slow paced with strictly enforced 'standards' in a very gritty world that expects a lot of work from its players.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 01:08:26 pm by GlyphGryph »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »

I never managed to get into Armageddon, it was really frustrating that I kept getting myself killed, and didn't really have any clue what to do, and it was really annoying to lose all the effort I put into creating the character.

Then I really lost confidence in the game when I was playing something else (I remember not what), and overheard a couple of guys talking about the game. Turns out they were from Something Awful... They shared quite a lot of information on the game, and said some stuff that didn't exactly instil confidence in the playerbase.
Pages: [1] 2