Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: If you care about your military, you will do this during year 1 of the fort.  (Read 5466 times)

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good idea.  I typically train my military by sending them to fight wildlife with a training sword (and armor) so lots of my casualties come from drowning in ponds. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

blaize9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Blaizecraft

Pro Tip: add a floor over the water.

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile

Very nice advice.

Although, there's always the option of, you know, not fighting next to water.
Good luck.
Luck?  There's no luck involved in taking a few weeks out of the first year to seal over any open pools near where you might be fighting.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile

Pro Tip: add a floor over the water.
true, that works, but a ramp next to each one works almost as well and takes a tiny fraction of the time.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Embark in haunted, terrifying and savage deserts. No murky pools :P

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

they'll still drown in 6/7   you'd need a mix of 4/7 and 3/7 tiles for your plan to work
This used to be the case, but now only 7/7 water drowns dwarves. They still start to train swimming in 4/7 or deeper.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile

they'll still drown in 6/7   you'd need a mix of 4/7 and 3/7 tiles for your plan to work
This used to be the case, but now only 7/7 water drowns dwarves. They still start to train swimming in 4/7 or deeper.

about training the swimming skill, would having a not full pool (with tides and such) do something dangerous to your dorfs, like smacking them against the wall or something?
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

about training the swimming skill, would having a not full pool (with tides and such) do something dangerous to your dorfs, like smacking them against the wall or something?
no.

That being said, I like to train my dwarves swimming ability itself. Just make one of their training grounds a 1x1 square surrounded on 7 sides with a pool. When the fall in, they have to swim toward a underwater staircase several tiles away to get back to the training room. Unfortunately it also makes sparring a lot slower... so I don't recommend this take over every area.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

no.

That being said, I like to train my dwarves swimming ability itself. Just make one of their training grounds a 1x1 square surrounded on 7 sides with a pool. When the fall in, they have to swim toward a underwater staircase several tiles away to get back to the training room. Unfortunately it also makes sparring a lot slower... so I don't recommend this take over every area.

lol a danger corridor to get to a drowning training area... my dwarves are going to attend to a whole fucking boot camp only to spar  :D
also can they swim through z levels? i would love to get them to get out of the water just by the food stockpile, so they have a chance to do their shit before going to their jobs, instead of suddenly taking a booze break just on arriving
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

They can swim z lvls, and you can even make Dorf super swim highways this way. Just make sure they actually know how to swim first....

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thanks for your answer, i can already see my fortress full of futurama-like tubes  :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

thanks for your answer, i can already see my fortress full of futurama-like tubes  :D

With drowning babies everywhere o-o

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

drowning babies everywhere o-o

I wonder if this could fit into my sig...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I wonder if this could fit into my sig...

Force it to? >:D

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

I guess Necro can make some room now...

And now we wait for an escaped lunatic (perhaps named Necro911) to object...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:14:09 pm by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Pages: 1 [2] 3