Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: If you care about your military, you will do this during year 1 of the fort.  (Read 5457 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile

Dig a ramp or 2 next to every single body of water one of those little bastards might just decide to dodge into.
i swear to god, until i started doing this, a good 2/3 of my casualties in combat were due to dodging and drowning.

i wish there were a way to disable dodging. i dont let anyone on the battlefield until they're DAMN good with a shield and more than able to block things anyways.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile

Very nice advice.

Although, there's always the option of, you know, not fighting next to water.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile

Very nice advice.

Where's the Fun in that?

Someone modded in a Swimming Pool; Training swimming will reduce the casualties to zero. I sort of like casualties though, I don't have too much issue with tantruming and it feels more threatening when a gobbo shows up and you're not certain who lives or who dies.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice advice.

most of the time there is, but there's always the chance that something or someone you cant afford to lose is near the lake when the ambush comes, not to mention seasonal thawing that can sometimes catch a dwarf off guard and drop him in the water.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice advice.

Where's the Fun in that?

Someone modded in a Swimming Pool; Training swimming will reduce the casualties to zero. I sort of like casualties though, I don't have too much issue with tantruming and it feels more threatening when a gobbo shows up and you're not certain who lives or who dies.
will swimming really allow them to drag themselves out of the water without a ramp?
if so, this changes everything.

and yeah, casualties rule, don't get me wrong, but drowning feels silly. Spear to the heart? dwarfy. Dodge the arrow, fall into the puddle and drown? not dwarfy.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile

seasonal thawing

Use pathing restrictions to keep them away from these areas and only use designated bridges, walkways, etc.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Should be alleviated somewhat (not sure about ponds):

"The rivers have ramps now, so you can get in and out of them, and the water is generally a bit more accessible."

oh, i cant wait for this new update.
ive been experimenting with new layouts for tombs and barracks in the hopes of some epic and traumatizing necromancer battles.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile

I decided that instead of that I add a (sort-of) swimming pool using a nearby river, I discovered that when my mayor accidentally fell to an artificial river, he never drowned and came out as adequate.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

"Remember children, it's only fun if there's an element of risk to it, so er... Yeah. Fun stuff gets you killed, but it's fun so it's ok."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

I'm thinking of making an pool with mostly 6/7 water and some 7/7 water. Assuming that dwarves dropped into 7/7 water stop drowning once they're in a 6/7 tile (which they do in the arena), the 6/7 tiles will train their swimming and the 7/7 tiles will allow them to climb out once they reach Novice. There should be few enough 7/7 tiles that they get to Adequate before finding a path out of the pool, but if not they can always be dropped again.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they'll still drown in 6/7   you'd need a mix of 4/7 and 3/7 tiles for your plan to work
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never bothered with ramps, usually the area near my entrance gets floors of stone or stone blocks built over it, including the ponds, since most of the fighting takes place in the entryway (using the doors as a choke point so the goblins etc. don't flood in too quickly) I rarely if ever have military dodge into water/pits.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile

I was an adventurer like you but then I dodged an arrow and fell into the pool...
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Very nice advice.

Good luck.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: [1] 2 3