Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What would you like to see in a DFVIDTUTS2012 embark profile?  (Read 5211 times)

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What would you like to see in a DFVIDTUTS2012 embark profile?
« on: December 21, 2011, 12:17:31 pm »

Hey Bay12ers

So what would you like to see in a DFVIDTUTS2012 embark profile? I'm thinking of making an updated embark profile, to make the game even easier for everyone. It'll be a reworked version of my DFVIDTUTS2011 Embark profile which you can find in the lazy newb pack right now.

The major changes I'm thinking of is taking some yarn producing animals with me (for thread for sutures) and having a dwarf be a dedicated butcher/tanner from the start. These will be the main dwarves which I'll take with me:

1: miner/appraiser/leader
2: miner/mechanic
3: mason/stonecrafter
4: butcher/carpenter
5: farmer/brewer/cook
6: woodcutter/axedwarf
7: hunter/marksdwarf

So, what changes would you like to see? Also, What kind of wool bearing animal would be the best to take? Sheep, llama's or alpaca's?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 12:19:47 pm by captain_duck »

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Re: What would you like to see in a DFVIDTUTS2012 embark profile?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 01:44:36 pm »

Sorry, this isn't in direct answer to your questions, but I just wanted to let you know I've watched all of your (recent) videos and I love them. (I assume you're the same CapnDuck guy) They have inspired me in lots of ways, especially your volcano island one. The magma moat was great. I don't have a Youtube account so this was the only way I could communicate with you to thank you. So...thanks!

As kinda an answer to your question, I think there are far too many DF "tutorials" up on Youtube and not enough actual, well narrated, fun, Let's Plays. For example, I have seen site selection and embark like 20 times but not ONCE have I seen a let's play get as far as HFS or any really ingenious goblin siege defenses. Usually they peter out before even the first full invasion.

I think the value of a good Let's Play is showing people possibilities they otherwise would have overlooked. Like for example on your volcano island. I haven't ever had a desire to embark on a beach but seeing how DF actually models the tides and the waves breaking on the shore, I kind of sat up and went "wow!". I would never have known that without your LP. I also enjoyed how you found a later embark with three biomes, one evil, one neutral wilderness, and one neutral desert (I had never seen a cactus in DF before), all able to fit on the same 4ish square area.

As for yarn, I tried to have some Alpacas and I put "shear" on the farmers workshop but couldn't get it to work, so that would be helpful. I vote Alpacas.

Terminutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:40:04 pm »

I'd imagine that you've checked Captain, but just in case, you might want to point out that Cave Spider Silk stuff is cheaper than the default pig-tail cloth, thread and so on that you normally embark with.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 05:27:16 pm »

I think one military dwarf who's a proficient teacher would be interesting...

gunnarig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »

I vote for the sheep. they like the Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy are, slightly cheaper than the other animals you mentioned but i dont remember if they are leather producing. on the otherhand you can arrive with 3 females and one male for the price of a breeding pair of llamas or alpaca. i like the safety of being able to butcher a half a herd during hardship should my food stock be incinirated by a spontainiusly combusting dwarf or a cook cooking all the plump helmets. and of course the ocational arrival of 30 migrants :D

Also like MAurelius mentioned. you´re letsplays are preatty much the reason i managed to climb the impassable barrier that is the interface in dwarf fortress you probably heard this a thousand times but anyways thank you buddy.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:05:39 am by gunnarig »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 10:30:39 pm »

1: miner/appraiser/leader miner
2: miner/mechanic miner
3: mason/stonecrafter mason/carpenter
4: butcher/carpenter stonecrafter
5: farmer/brewer/cook woodcrafter/architect
6: woodcutter/axedwarf woodcutter
7: hunter/marksdwarf ambush/observer

I avoid taking the social skills.
I like to keep my mason free from the stonecrafter so I can build upwards, around the wagon.
I like to take dogs, but not hunting or war, for early fodder. 
I like to take cats to remove rodents, near my farm and llamas for there ability to live underground on little veggies.
I don't take much (clothing), or (items), because they don't contribute to my fortress's wealth.
I like to take heavy booze barrels, plump seeds and wheat seeds.
I like to take nine stone to build the first staircase.
No ammo.  No armor.  No Leather.  No Anvil.
I might take a large gem, for early trading.

-----------
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 06:54:32 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:35:39 pm »

I thought I'd put down my default embark, just to see if it gives you any ideas:

Miner/Mason
Miner/Mechanic
Woodcutter/Carpenter
Grower
Cook/Weaponsmith
Brewer/Armorsmith
Diagnoser/Appraiser/Judge of Intent

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 07:15:17 am »

Maybe add some big birds (so no chickens or ducks). Butchering them at the beginning will give you hides, lots of food and some bone. The hides are already worth as much as taking leather (or even worse bags/quivers/armor) at embark, the meat means you won't have to buy any food. I'm not sure if all birds are always available, but I haven't seen an embark where one of them was not available yet. In the beginning, when the miners start digging, several dwarfs will be unoccupied, so they can do the butchering, tanning and leatherworking.

You might add metal and coke for the embark. Having some metal to forge the first military equipment might ease the game for beginners.

An embark which works well for me is:
1 Soldier with some teaching skill
2 Miners
1 Weapon/Armorsmith
1 Farmer/Cook (will also brew in the beginning)
1 Mason with leadership skills
1 Mechanic/Stonecrafter - or any other profession I want for the fort.

The smith will work as a carpenter in the beginning, the soldier might work as a woodcutter if there is no danger (otherwise the smith will do both). This embark might not be too good for a tutorial as you will have to activate some professions at the start of the game, though. On the other hand controlling dwarf professions should be one of the first skills a new player should aquire. You could also use more specialized dwarfes then, right now they seem to have lots of different skills on low levels. To me specialization seems to be quite an important aspect of the game.

I don't agree with taking a butcher/tanner at the start. Both skills add no quality to the products, so a newly trained immigrant will be good enough while being slow first. Same goes for a woodcutter, this skill is trained really fast, it's not worth spending points on. Carpentry is less useful with rock pots being available now, so in my opinion it is not worth spending many points on either.
I would also remove the hunter from the embark, it won't be useful on all embarks and new players might forget to craft new bolts for them. Food is really not a problem in the current version anyway.
You might want to add some wood (I think fungiwood is always available) as some embarks might lack that. Instead of bringing wood products the carpenter can start right away to create those items with the wood you brought.

The above is not meant as nitpicking, I think your tutorials are great, in the end you will know best what you want for them. I have been playing since the early 2d versions, so while your tutorial had nothing new for me, I still enjoyed watching it. Keep up the good work.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:20:27 am »

1: miner/appraiser/leader
1: Swap Leader with Negotiator and Novice Judge of Intent (with default skill settings, will get Rusty by the time the first caravan shows up, so make one small trade to restore it). All Leader does is affect military training, and if the only social skills are trading ones you can pretty much guarantee that the dwarf who gets them will be expedition leader.

Also, What kind of wool bearing animal would be the best to take? Sheep, llama's or alpaca's?
Sheep are the easiest to feed. The other two can be just large enough to clutter a workshop. I think a few bits of cave spider silk thread would be okay to bring, just in case the player doesn't get the production chain finished before the thread (or cloth) becomes necessary.

Turkeys are the best bird to bring for food, since they're the largest and you always embark with fully-grown ones (16-19 food from each one, if you count fat). Breeding them for meat is something of a pain since they mature before they finish growing, so either keep them just for eggs or slaughter the lot.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:46:15 am »

I'd agree with the untrained butcher/tanner opinion. I've been training a doctor, and giving him the "short and/or not often in an early fort" jobs post-embark. Tanner and butcher one of them. (Plus, I just like the feeling of the team doctor/surgeon also cutting up tonights dinner. :)

Sometimes, he is also the architect for the first trade post & bridges if I don't plan to do any major building.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 12:55:01 pm »

Hello! First off, I'm a great fan, and I love your series!

What I'd love to see is:
- Atleast one purely military dwarf, which is a rather good teacher. He should use SPEARS (never saw them in action :D)
- One dedicated manager, therefore reducing the workforce to 5 (yes, it gets harder...). Therefore using a lot of manager menu.
- Only one guy for food/brew (plant/brew/cook/butch)
- A cloth/leather/tanner guy/plant process/weaver/planter (pig tails!). (you don't need him to be proficient at everything. Take those that matter for quality at embark)
- A proficient weapon/armorsmith on embark.
- The other 2 dwarves would then have to take care of mining, carpentry and woodcutting. Also mechanics.
- Don't forget to take lots of leather bearing animals with you to get the leather industry running in time. Turkeys are rather nice, they are cheap, have leather, a lot of bones and meat. And the most eggs.
- A few dogs? Wardogs? You're a military guy, after all!

I think that the weapon/armorsmith can do some masonry until you found metals - once you do, I'd like to see you go massively on metal (for furniture, too!) instead of rock. Therefore, a METAL FORTRESS WITH EXCESSIVE MILITARY.

I think this would be an interesting combination. Maybe you should set the mineral amount to 'frequent' atleast to do so. And probably do a customized world with more volcanoes (unless you want to dig deep for magma forges?).

Anyways, I'd be interested in such a restrictive setup. Maybe in an evil area crossing a untamed wilds area?

Haha, anyways, the harder the funnier to watch :D

Thanks for all your videos!

PS: If you manage to find parameters that allow flat volcanoes (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97953.0) while preserving hills, I'll personally donate 20 euro to your paypal account!

Good luck, captain duck!
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 03:41:25 pm »

Sometimes I do take swimming on my miners at the beginning, if I plan to launch near a stream or brook.  They can then build me good submerged farms, aqueducts, and drainage tunnels, with less risk of drowning.  Its game over for me, man, when a miner dies early.  I used to give them combat skills, back prior to learning the danger room design, now I don't and stick to dwarfs with building speed and digging speed, and utility pets, and non grazers. 

With an enemy, that doesn't eat, drink or sleep; it just seems unfair to penalize us and our livestock with that feature.  If there was a benefit inadvertently associated to grazing animals, like if the grazed ground turned back into something I could smooth and engrave to increase the value of, ya know after they were there a bit munching, then I could see taking a grazer. But as I see grazing now, its simply a penalty.  A penalty circumvented with an active hunter. 

I just wish all livestock offspring, autojoined their parent's pen, after birth.  Its cruel and unusual punishment of Toady to make us set that, ea time.

Sincerely,
Knutor
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:45:05 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

captain_duck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:27:29 pm »

Ok i toyed around a bit with embark profiles tonight, and this is what i came up with:

Code: [Select]
[PROFILE]
[TITLE:DFVIDTUTS2012 BETA1]
[SKILL:1:MINING:5]
[SKILL:1:APPRAISAL:3]
[SKILL:1:CONVERSATION:1]
[SKILL:2:MINING:5]
[SKILL:2:MECHANICS:1]
[SKILL:3:MASONRY:5]
[SKILL:3:STONECRAFT:5]
[SKILL:4:CARPENTRY:1]
[SKILL:4:BUTCHER:2]
[SKILL:4:TANNER:1]
[SKILL:4:CUTGEM:1]
[SKILL:4:ENCRUSTGEM:1]
[SKILL:4:WOODCRAFT:1]
[SKILL:4:BONECARVE:2]
[SKILL:4:DESIGNBUILDING:1]
[SKILL:5:BREWING:2]
[SKILL:5:COOK:2]
[SKILL:5:PLANT:5]
[SKILL:5:HERBALISM:1]
[SKILL:6:WOODCUTTING:1]
[SKILL:6:AXE:4]
[SKILL:6:LEADERSHIP:1]
[SKILL:6:TEACHING:3]
[SKILL:6:DODGING:1]
[SKILL:7:CROSSBOW:5]
[SKILL:7:SNEAK:2]
[SKILL:7:LEADERSHIP:1]
[SKILL:7:TEACHING:1]
[SKILL:7:DODGING:1]
[ITEM:2:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK:INORGANIC:COPPER]
[ITEM:1:ANVIL:NONE:INORGANIC:IRON]
[ITEM:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_CROSSBOW:INORGANIC:COPPER]
[ITEM:1:QUIVER:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:BIRD_TURKEY:LEATHER]
[ITEM:20:AMMO:ITEM_AMMO_BOLTS:INORGANIC:COPPER]
[ITEM:10:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:SEED]
[ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:SEED]
[ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:SEED]
[ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:POD_SWEET:SEED]
[ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:BUSH_QUARRY:SEED]
[ITEM:5:SEEDS:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_CUP_DIMPLE:SEED]
[ITEM:10:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:STRUCTURAL]
[ITEM:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_AXE_TRAINING:PLANT_MAT:MAPLE:WOOD]
[ITEM:5:THREAD:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE:SILK]
[ITEM:3:CLOTH:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE:SILK]
[ITEM:1:CHAIN:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE:SILK]
[ITEM:2:BOX:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SPIDER_CAVE:SILK]
[ITEM:8:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:DRINK]
[ITEM:9:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_TAIL_PIG:DRINK]
[ITEM:9:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:GRASS_WHEAT_CAVE:DRINK]
[ITEM:9:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:POD_SWEET:DRINK]
[ITEM:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:SAND_TAN]
[ITEM:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:SAND_WHITE]
[ITEM:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:SAND_BLACK]
[ITEM:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:SAND_RED]
[ITEM:1:POWDER_MISC:NONE:INORGANIC:SAND_YELLOW]
[ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:LOBSTER_CAVE:FEMALE]
[ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:LOBSTER_CAVE:MALE]
[ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:TURTLE:MALE]
[ITEM:5:FISH:NONE:TURTLE:FEMALE]
[ITEM:5:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:TOWER_CAP:WOOD]
[ITEM:5:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:GYPSUM]
[ITEM:1:SPLINT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:PINE:WOOD]
[ITEM:1:CRUTCH:NONE:PLANT_MAT:PINE:WOOD]
[ITEM:1:BUCKET:NONE:PLANT_MAT:PINE:WOOD]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:YAK:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:REINDEER:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DONKEY:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:HORSE:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:COW:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:SHEEP:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:PIG:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GOAT:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:WATER_BUFFALO:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:LLAMA:MILK]
[ITEM:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:ALPACA:MILK]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:MARMOT_HOARY:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:GOAT_MOUNTAIN:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:YAK:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:RACCOON:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:BADGER:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:MOOSE:MUSCLE]
[ITEM:1:MEAT:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:DEER:MUSCLE]
[PET:1:BIRD_TURKEY:MALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:BIRD_TURKEY:FEMALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:BIRD_DUCK:MALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:BIRD_DUCK:FEMALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:DOG:FEMALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:DOG:MALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:DOG:MALE:TRAINED_HUNTER]
[PET:1:CAT:FEMALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:CAT:MALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:SHEEP:FEMALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:SHEEP:MALE:STANDARD]
[PET:4:BIRD_CHICKEN:FEMALE:STANDARD]
[PET:1:BIRD_CHICKEN:MALE:STANDARD]

Any other suggestions?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:59:14 pm »

Maybe drop dwarf 1's Conversation skill for Judge of Intent?
I also advise switching dwarf 4's Butcher(2), Tanner(1) for Butcher(1), Tanner(2), since tanning a hide usually takes much longer than butchering an animal/corpse (in my experience, I could be wrong).

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2011, 12:36:51 am »

[SKILL:4:CARPENTRY:1]
   [SKILL:4:BUTCHER:2]
   [SKILL:4:TANNER:1]
   [SKILL:4:CUTGEM:1]
   [SKILL:4:ENCRUSTGEM:1]
   [SKILL:4:WOODCRAFT:1]
   [SKILL:4:BONECARVE:2]

All those professions don't seem that important to me. The skill for bonecarving, woodcrafting, etc... It doesn't really matter, since the goods you make are not profit oriented, nor for real weapon usage (I hope). I suggest, reskill that guy completely! Those low levels he has can be easily obtained by letting him work on those professions (no need to buy the skills on embark).
Instead, make him a 5 point Armorsmith and a 5 point Weaponsmith. If you want to trade heavily, you might want to get metalcraft instead of one of those (probably Armor/Metalcraft then).

You will want armor and weapons, and you want them to be good. Therefore, spent your skillpoints in it. On embark, he can't smith anything. So just asign all those jobs you want via therapist. I think this is much more efficient. You'll quickly get good armor (which has advantages for quality level!!) and eventually you'll get a very good weaponsmith. You know, he can train weaponsmithing with bolt production. And once he's legendary, you can forge the finest weapons in the whole region. What am I saying, in the WHOLE WORLD!

Just my opinion though :D

As an anecdote, in year 3 a megabeast (giant minotaur) attacked me. I had 3 dwaves. BUT they had armor, steel, good craftmanship thanks to that armorsmith I took with me. Only one died, a second one just needed some plaster for his arm. Third one just a suture. So many attacks deflected because of the higher craftsmanship, so I can just suggest to try it out!

Molay

PS: Can't wait for your new vids :D
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.
Pages: [1] 2 3