Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 1353 times)

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some questions
« on: December 21, 2011, 11:44:44 am »

Right, So I've got some moderately easy to answer questions about the dwarf fortress mechanics. Please answer them. :3
•If my main defence is a bridge, And I put pressure plates in front of it to cause it to retract when enemies step on it, Does the same happen when my dwarves do?
•What's the funniest thing you can do with a cage of enemies?
•I've found some adamantite, And made lots of wafers. Is it worth making a pair of weapons and maybe some armour with it for my dwarves?
•Is it worth making weapon traps with adamantite components?
•How often is this game updated? I've knew about dwarf fortress for more than a year, and it's been the same version the hole time?
•In an army, Would I get bigger usage of two skilled warriors with good equipment, Or 10 unskilled ones with bad equipment?
•I'm in a fort where the "Main Hall"(Where I have my farm, piles ETC) isn't rock, And I wanted to do a dining room for my dwarves. How much better would it be to make some stairs down to get a dining room with engraved walls than not?
•I'm at 49 dwarves, And yet no attacks(Apart from a pair of goblin snatchers), Should I continue being paranoid about sieges?
•I want to create a floodgate immune to lava, And tell my mason to create one. Just to check that it is immune to lava, I go on the wiki and notice that the rock type he used isn't. How do I make him create one with the exact rock type?
•I got a little spoiled watching a tutorial that talked about fun shit appearing when you dig in adamantite. Is this rare? Should I be afraid/cautious?
•I've since long reached a pair of caverns, Is it worth exploring?

Thanks for answering.

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 01:12:32 pm »

Hiho
1) Only if you make it so. There is an option "civilians" that can let normal dwarfes trigger the plates.
2) Make a magma-safe cage, catch a deadly badger, throw it into a magma-pool.
3) Nah Candy is the best for bins, because it so light. ;D
4) See 3)
5) Semi-regular. When Toady is finished with a update he will say it.
6) Two highly skilled are better than 10 unskilled. 10 unskilled are better than 2 simple skilled guys. 1 Legendary will slaugther 10 unskilled guys without injury. Equipment is important here.
7) A lot better. Easy legendary dining room.
8 ) You need 80 dwarfes for sieges. Ambushes will hit you sooner.
9) Forbid all non-magma safe stones. Or use glass.
10) Totally rare. Dig away and have fun.
11) If you have a lot of cats. Yes.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 01:27:02 pm »

/startnotroll
'Fixing' those answers...

3. Candy is best to make some weapons for best soldiers. IF you have much excess, consider armour.
4. No. Use glass. Easy to make, cost-efficient.
8. Always be paranoid. About your own dwarves too.
9. Or use iron. Or just make a stockpile only for a magma-safe stone.
10. Dig away and have !!FUN!!.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »

1) You can choose to have the weight above dwarf size, or just turn civilians off altogether. A lever operated bridge would give you more control though... Providing the dwarves aren't all at a party.

2) Capture a goblin army, danger room train them all to legendary, and release.

3) Candy armour and sharp weapons. Don't make candy shields, crossbows, bolts or war hammers out of them.

4) Candy large serrated discs. Menacing spikes. Maybe a few axes for moar fun.

5) Toady likes to update DF one massive mind fuzzle at a time.

6) Legendary warriors win out right. But having 90 conscripts that have trained for a few years in steel armour is diabolical.

7) If you can't be asked to engrave the walls, use statues and smooth block floors. Or smooth block roads.

8) Well you don't need to be paranoid about sieges yet, but you should be paranoid about pretty much everything else.

EVERYTHING.

9) Put a stockpile that only accepts magma safe stone near his workshop, forbid all non magma safe stone, or make all non magma safe stone economic in the (z) status, (stone) menu.

10) This is DF. If you haven't thrown caution out your incendiary cat bin, you're doing it wrong :P

11) There's not much point in exploring. Unless you find a crap ton of minerals. Maybe even candy. This one time, I found 4 spires in one.
Hell, now that I think about it, it's well worth the risk of having a few hundred dwarves die.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:49:19 pm »

I don't care about the "Candy" Being cost efficient, Just if it's worth it.
Thanks for the answers though. I'll start digging away at the "Candy", Make some "Candy" weapons and a pair of things for traps, Then use iron for the rest.

Oh and an extra question.
Is it worth making iron into steel?

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 01:57:26 pm »

That really depends on how much iron and flux you got. If you hae plenty, it is worth it. If either is low or very low, make only some, I would say
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 02:26:23 pm »

I would say to make as much steel as you can. It's second only to "candy" in pretty much everything. I have my dwarves importing as much flux as they can because my site doesn't have any flux but plenty of magnetite for iron and trees for carbon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 02:53:49 pm »

If you have steel, you really don't need candy weapons.

Stick to armor.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 04:16:44 pm »

I gave a candy sword to my commander. :3
The rest is iron, Will be making steel soon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 05:17:36 pm »

I gave a candy sword to my commander. :3
The rest is iron, Will be making steel soon.

Awwww, now he can stab people with ruthless efficiency £:

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 05:24:07 pm »

I WANT CANDY

Can I have some pwetty please..

Make sure you capture 3 sieges worth of goblins and release them in your dining room all at once. That way your soldiers get trained killing them really fast.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 07:53:45 am »

Another question

Right, So I started digging away. And now I'm sitting at an unknown amount of adamantite wafers, Just waiting to be used. What the crap should I use it for? Military is all geared.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 07:55:17 am »

Breastplates, helms, greaves, gauntlets, cloaks, battle axes, spears, short swords, large serrated discs, large menacing spikes, large axe blades and strange moods.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2011, 08:48:02 am »

The weapons and armour proved useful as my first titan appeared. Two died, But whatever. Nobody is mad.

Tahlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2011, 11:25:32 am »

I've found myself in quite a problem(Possibly bug?).
My food storage is gigantic, And it's full.
Half of it is full of seeds, So I wanted to make a pile that only has seeds and one that only has food. But apparently, When I disable seeds in a pile, They don't put food in it either. What am I doing wrong?
Pages: [1] 2