Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A theory on why large gems don't get stored.  (Read 2649 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
A theory on why large gems don't get stored.
« on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »

I have a serious problem with large gems. They don't get stored, they are never very valuable, yet my nobles demand them nonetheless. But I don't think it's entirely their fault (much as I want to). There was this gem cutter that became moody in one of my fortresses, and his eventual product was a purple spinel bed. This bed never got stored, and it only resides in it's current place because I constructed it there. I deconstructed it and, despite there being plenty of space in my furniture stockpile, it has not even been touched since.

And so, I believe that it's not just large gems that can't (or won't) be stored, but all non-cut-gem products of the jeweler's workshop. Thoughts?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A theory on why large gems don't get stored.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:53:26 pm »

The only gem furniture I've gotten was a jade door.

And... That's a different story altogether.

I never saw it stockpiled, but then again, I immediately built it. Perhaps it's because under the permitted stockpile materials for furniture e.t.c. it doesn't happen to have odd moodable materials.

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:11:43 pm »

likewise, dwarf-hair crafts dont get stored. they arrive when carried by invaders with a kill-count, and stay when those invaders die horribly in my fort. i managed to get some off of my nice traps outside by hauling them to the trade depot, where they still sit (i didnt bother to trade them yet).

i suspect the problem has to do with the allowed materials in a stockpile. has anyone tried making a stockpile that holds both finished goods and gems? or it may be that items made of unusual materials dont fit the stockpiles as currently coded.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 01:39:30 am »

I don't know about this. I recently had a moody dwarf make a gem barrel, which was then used to store food as normal, although this is probably because there are no material limits on food stockpiles...

Perhaps it would be possible to mod in gem as an acceptable material - I might be able to get around to this tomorrow.
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 08:46:13 am »

And so, I believe that it's not just large gems that can't (or won't) be stored, but all non-cut-gem products of the jeweler's workshop. Thoughts?

That's correct.  Finished Goods stockpiles don't have a material option for gem, so large gems (and gem crafts and other finished goods) can't be stored there.  Furniture stockpiles don't have a material option for gem either, so gem furniture will never get stored.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 08:54:48 am »

This is also a known bug, for what it's worth.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 10:22:51 am »

Off-topic, but it should probably be "A hypothesis on why large gems don't get stored."

Perhaps it would be possible to mod in gem as an acceptable material - I might be able to get around to this tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure all stockpile stuff is hardcoded.  You might be able to change gems so that they are also rocks or metal or something, but I don't know how it would work.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 05:10:18 pm »

I know rough gems use the inorganic stone template, but beyond that I've got nothing. This also happens if you have a reaction that gets material from reagent and you make things with it, so it's not a mood only thing. This also happens if you use the same kind of reaction to make things out of hair and other things.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:16:10 am »

Strange? I haven't had this problem. All the large gems my gemcutters generate end up in +Finished Goods bin+ (ash)es.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:18:05 am »

Strange? I haven't had this problem. All the large gems my gemcutters generate end up in +Finished Goods bin+ (ash)es.

Are they large glass gems?  Glass gems get stored, gemstone gems don't.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 11:27:29 am »

Nope, they're onyxes and sards and whatnot.

I have observed large gems purchased at the depot not getting stored, but I always assumed it was a hauling backlog issue.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:41 am »

Are you actually running version 0.31.25? If so, by any chance have your raws been modified to give gems [IS_STONE]?
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:52:45 am »

Doesn't bother me too much. I magma all my large gems, like every other useless craft.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:56:08 am »

Are you actually running version 0.31.25? If so, by any chance have your raws been modified to give gems [IS_STONE]?

Yes, and no.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 12:19:22 pm »

Were you always running version 0.31.25 with that fortress, or did you upgrade from an older version at some point? If the latter, it's possible that the gems were stockpiled back when the game worked correctly.
Pages: [1] 2