Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not using well.  (Read 4499 times)

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves not using well.
« on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:22 pm »

So I dug a cistern underground and used a nearby pool to fill it up, there are no underground lakes on my map. The depth is 4/4 and the well reads "bucket is full", but my dwarves wont use it to bring water to people in the hospital, as I keep getting errors that there is no water sourc. What am I doing wrong?

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: Dwarves not using well.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:15:53 pm »

All I can think of is can they path to it, it's not in a forbidden area, it's not outside a burrow and your dwarves are assigned to a burrow, the usual.  I can't think of anything I might be missing, though for all I know, there's something with the well itself.  Anyone else?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »

If you [t] over the well, are any of the construction items forbidden?

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:03:22 am »

use i to check wheter or not the water is salt.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:40:52 am »

If it says the bucket is full it means the bucket already has something in it and can't be used, deconstruct the well and rebuild it with an empty bucket.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 03:47:12 am »

use i to check wheter or not the water is salt.

I think dwarves will gladly drink saltwater, as long as it comes from a well.

wait... let me try to find the scientist...

Here:
I never re-constructed the well... I was under the impression that salt was a contaminant that a well couldn't filter.

From my experiments, it appears that a well will always be usable no matter what kind of water it is placed over.  The water could be salty or murky yet the well will still work and be usable for producing water.  It seems that dwarves will always drink water out of a well.  I'm going to run some more tests to verify that however.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:02:44 am »

Doesn't the water have to be 7/7 in order for the well to work though (not 4/7)?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Knarfle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:11:46 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Well

If the well is flooding, it will display "bucket is full of water".
What do you get when a Rhesus monkey steps on a weapons trap loaded with maximum adamantine blades?

Rhesus Pieces!

Goodwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »

I reconstructed it and it no longer says "bucket is full" but my dwarves still wont give water to the wounded with it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 01:09:18 pm »

'Bucket is full' only means that the bucket has water in it.  It does not mean that the well is unusable.  It just means that the next dwarf to get water from the bucket won't have to lower the bucket to fill it with water first.  (Assuming the water in the bucket is drinkable and not forbidden, that is).

Do your dwarves have spare buckets?  They won't be able to transfer water out of the well without an empty bucket to use.

What is the depth of the water under the well?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 04:01:27 pm »

I reconstructed it and it no longer says "bucket is full" but my dwarves still wont give water to the wounded with it.

Just checking, but are you getting cancellation messages? And do you have extra (Not filled with lye or milk) buckets for the dwarves to carry water to the wounded in?

EDIT: Ah, nice to see an experienced !!scientist!! on this thread. Welcome, Sphalerite!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:07:12 pm by Cellmonk »